Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 02:56 PM

16 posts, read 15,842 times

Advertisements

We are moving from CHicago and Canada, and we love Napa. Visit every year for the past 7 yrs. We are looking into American Canyon, and Napa. Please give your opinions on areas. Real Estate seems ok in AC how are schools, crime, etc.

Also what other areas near Napa can you recommend?

Also does anyone do the ferry commute from Vallejo to San Fran?

Last edited by napabound2012; 09-09-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM

376 posts, read 653,716 times
Schools are good in both American Canyon and Napa, and crime is low, pretty sure they're both good places for families. Can't really recommend other areas since Napa is fairly small, and people say to stay out of Vallejo and stick with American Canyon.

Don't know about the ferry, unfortunately.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
If I were to move back there it would be to Mare Island. Only problem is high Real Estate Taxes

Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 AM

5 posts, read 17,095 times
I live in Napa and grew up in Vallejo..... Napa is very expensive for very little, shopping is very diverse, more than half the city are Mexican about a third American and other third mixed .... Schools are NOT good .... American Canyon is very small with a main highway going through "downtown" schools are newer .... The real issue with AC is that Vallejo overflows into it .... And that is a bad of a city and culture you will find .... Not trying to be negative, it's just the way it is

Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastCountry View Post
I live in Napa and grew up in Vallejo..... Napa is very expensive for very little, shopping is very diverse, more than half the city are Mexican about a third American and other third mixed .... Schools are NOT good .... American Canyon is very small with a main highway going through "downtown" schools are newer .... The real issue with AC is that Vallejo overflows into it .... And that is a bad of a city and culture you will find .... Not trying to be negative, it's just the way it is
I'm assuming Napa is expensive because......it's Napa. It's one of the most beautiful places in the USA. So like paying extra for a condo with a view, you're paying extra because it's Napa, vs living in Concord (no offense to anyone in Concord). I also like Sonoma, I wonder if it's more reasonable than Napa as far as cost.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM

290 posts, read 288,611 times
napabound,

As a relative newcomer to the Napa Valley, I share your enthusiasm for the place. It has appeal to both people raising families and for retirees. Not so attractive to younger people looking for diverse and active nightlife.

Figure around 90 minutes to get to SF from Napa via the Vallejo ferry depending on wait time. They don't take reservations. Cost is $13 each way, but you can buy a 10-ride pass for a little over $100. Crossing time is about an hour. Bus from Napa to the ferry terminal is about 30-40 minutes depending on where you pick it up, but you can drive as well. An alternative to the ferry is taking BART, which you can catch at El Cerrito del Norte. You can take the bus from Napa or drive there as well. It's cheaper than the ferry and overall travel time is roughly the same. But if you drive to the station, get there early as the parking lot is full by 7:30 or earlier most mornings.

As for housing, it depends on your budget. American Canyon is considerably cheaper than much of Napa. The housing in much of AC is newer, but it's also more cookie-cutter tract development. On the flip side, it's closer to either the ferry or BART if you're trekking into the City regularly.

Schools? Hit and miss. Better neighborhoods = better schools, same formula as most places, I'd imagine.

As with the quality of the schools, crime varies by neighborhood. While there are certainly incidents of violent crime, it's not a serious problem in Napa County, particularly by urban standards. Property crime is more common but in the short time I've been in Napa it doesn't strike me as an epidemic.

Good luck with your search. And if you don't find anything that suits you at the moment, don't let that stop you. You can always rent for awhile. That way you can take some time after you're out here to find out where you really want to be.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:48 AM

16 posts, read 15,842 times
thanks everyone I AM FINALLY making that move Aug 1 I received a job offer two weeks ago....so far I am searching for a rental in American Canyon..buying next year.

my only concern is being 37 miles from SF HOWEVER i am closer to downtown Napa. I cannot and will not do the rent in SF. I love wine and need to have a wine budget HA. Cant wait to move!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:26 PM

43 posts, read 58,495 times
I would suggest Benicia as an option. Instead of 20 minutes to Napa, it's 35 minutes and you get great views of the Carquinez Strait. Also roughly the same amount of time to get to the Vallejo Ferry... and you're closer to BART.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napabound2012 View Post
thanks everyone I AM FINALLY making that move Aug 1 I received a job offer two weeks ago....so far I am searching for a rental in American Canyon..buying next year.

my only concern is being 37 miles from SF HOWEVER i am closer to downtown Napa. I cannot and will not do the rent in SF. I love wine and need to have a wine budget HA. Cant wait to move!
Congratulations! So, your job will be in SF proper? If so, you might look at driving to Martinez, then taking the Amtrak Capital Corridor train from there to SF. You can buy a ticket to SF, and what happens is you get off the train in Emeryville, and there is a really nice Amtrak bus that takes you across the bridge into SF. It might make for a more relaxing commute. I love taking that train. It has wi-fi and a diner car. I used to live in Davis and would take the train in to the SF Bay Area to visit family, etc. It's a very pretty, relaxing ride. And Martinez should be a safe place to leave your car at the station.

Capitol Corridor Trains :: Route And Schedules

Old 07-10-2015, 12:11 AM

43 posts, read 58,495 times
I take Amtrak every day, but if the OP is living in American Canyon, I think the Vallejo ferry will be better (and more economical) overall. It's a one hour boat ride to SF vs one and a half hours via Amtrak (not including the car portion for both). Beyond that, $5 toll across the bridge each day adds up to about $100 per month extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland