Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,854 times

Advertisements

There are two big complexes I'm looking at -- Watergate and Bridgewater.

Watergate's been around since the 1970s and is pretty much isolated on its little peninsula of sorts by the Bay. The units themselves obviously looked dated, but still very much presentable. The facilities seem almost like too much -- I mean how much laying by the pool and sauna usage do residents really take advantage of? And is the weight of maintaining those facilities equally divided between owners (vis-a-vis the HOA) and the renters?

Bridgewater's being convered from rentals to condos. Leases are not being renewed and instead the units are being given a (modest) touch up and fancy-schmancy heavy sell by the Sales Galary. However, 2 of the 5 units are remaining all apartments still. I know the renters at Bridgewater apparently rent from a corp that owns their unit as a condo and controls the Board for the HOA. And despite Bridgewater's proclamation that they have over a million in reserves, they are at approximately 25% fully funded (which is not good). I think the recipe's right for the BOD to call on a special assessement or raise the regular fees so that the beamining owners take over more of a share of community maintenance.

Any first-hand thoughts on either of these communities? I like that area because it gives a young, laidback SoCal vibe. I'm not really into the edgy-hipster or pseudo-intellectuals of the City. Shorts and flip flops in some mild weather would be great. Just want ot make sure I move into a unit that doesn't have its share of hiddent surprises in property management issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 AM

376 posts, read 653,631 times
Bridgewater is newer and it's somewhat more walkable. Emeryville Public Market, a bar and a Peet's Coffee are all within less than 10 minutes.
There's more development around Bridgewater with Avenue 64 having been built not long ago (2006 I think) and an additional 80 or so condos are going up across the street.
Watergate is like you said sort of isolated and not as pedestrian friendly. Easy Marina access though if that's your thing.

Shorts and flip-flops? Depends on you, but there have been only 1-2 days in Emeryville this year where the mercury has hit 80 degrees. Bay breeze definitely keeps things cool.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:25 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
I live in Emeryville and wear shorts and flip flops pretty much every day. As long as it's at least in the low 70s and sunny, which is like most of May-October, I'm good. And if I need hot weather, I just hop in the car and head 15 minutes to Walnut Creek for 'real' heat... But, I also work from home and can hang out on my deck and enjoy the sun while on my laptop. Before noon and after 4 PM, it's pretty chilly most of the time thanks to that bay breeze.

So this is a tough one. Bridgewater is definitely newer, and recently renovated for sale (but some units are still rentals and slowly being converted), and is more convenient for walking to stuff -- restaurants, movies, coffee, etc, as ippi76 said. I like that better. Watergate is isolated, but the waterfront is great for walking or running. IMO, go for Bridgewater and walk to the Marina when you want to use it. Also, Bridgewater has a great gym, and few people actually use the pool. HOWEVER, the pool is not as nicely maintained or consistently heated, and they don't heat it in the winter. I believe Watergate MAY be heated year round, and they have tennis courts too -- also nice.

I agree with the OP, Emeryville is a like a nice, polished gem of laid-backness in a sea of hipster overload. Even all the palm trees in Emeryville make it feel relaxed.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
E-ville is chilly and windy (compared to Oakland). I had some friends who rented in Bridgewater when it opened. They liked it and the surrounding area has improved quite a bit. I'd live there since it is far more walkable and closer to transit than the Watergate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland