Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM

14 posts, read 34,705 times

Advertisements

I'm an out of towner heading to san francisco. I need to be there by mid February, but from November onwards, I'm pretty much free to move to SF whenever I want. Doing some online research, some people suggested out of towners to come to SF and live in temporary housing and search for a permanent one once they are in town and can see things in person. I'm not sure how much sense that makes for me since I'm only looking for a place to rent for myself (I want to live alone, so studio or one bedroom, but to keep budgets as low as possible probably a studio). It also seems like if I'm unlucky and my search takes a long time, whatever temporary housing I'm at could cost as much as rent.

Would it even be possible to rent without being in SF, what with the tons of other people that are in the market? I feel I would probably be at a disadvantage compared to the people who actually see the place in person. The only advantage I have over them is my flexibility. Someone on this forum said this:
"Christmas time. Nobody's looking, so you can get good deals if you agree to move in on New Year's". It probably wasn't 100% serious, but I could actually do that if that gave me an edge over whoever else was applying for the place I wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 AM

370 posts, read 865,010 times
i think your biggest disadvantage is that you end up renting a place, that is in a bad location, horrible location,or is drastically overpriced.

Renting sight unseen in a tight rental market could mean you end up with a place that no one else wanted who had seen it..

Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 AM

you are probably right, I didn't think of it that way but that would make sense; if no one saw the place then dump it on the person that can't see it in person. But don't you think that it could work out better if I found a sublease? That's the option I'm leaning towards right now. I feel that might work out since the dates for a sublease is always random and I have the flexibility in my schedule to fit a sublease if the place seems nice. And plus, it won't be long term and if I know I'll be in SF longer I can look around while im there.

Also, do you think it's feasible to go about in the other option (go to SF and then start looking for a place)? It seems too unpredictable of an option.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM

370 posts, read 865,010 times
i think its feasible if its a sublease. Can you have a friend look at the place for you? That would help mitigate the sight unseen part if you trust them..

Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,103,166 times
1) reserve a cheap hotel room or use airbnb or whatever for a week's stay
2) Right before you travel to SF, go on craisglist and find as many apartment open houses as you can
3) go to as many open houses in SF as you can during that first week and be aggressive about applying. The SF rental market is extremely competitive even in a down economy and you MUST put in your application right away and be pushy about it, if you tell the landlord you'll sleep on it, the place WILL be rented 5 minutes later to someone else.
4) If you can't find anything during that first week, renew your temp hotel/housing, and just keep trying open houses. Also consider taking a temporary sublease, like 3 to 6 months (often someone will leave their apartment early and need someone to take over for a few months until the lease is up)...and it's possible that you'll have to live with roommates. At least you'll have a roof over your head, you aren't paying exorbitant hotel prices, and you have more time to look for a permanent place.
5) Keep in mind the SF market is completely insane right now so even if you have a strong budget (like $1500 and up just for a studio) then you are going to find it very hard to get a place. Consider Oakland and Berkeley which are less competitive and cheaper than SF, and a 20 minutes BART ride from downtown SF.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 PM

thanks for your answers. I'm a little torn as to when exactly to go, do you think this ("Christmas time. Nobody's looking, so you can get good deals if you agree to move in on New Year's".) has any truth to it, especially when it comes to a sublease? I'm actually not entirely sure how long I'll be in SF; I know I'll stay till about May, but it's questionable after that. So sublease seems like my only real option right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland