Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 AM

7 posts, read 14,838 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from Dallas and my new job takes me to Oakland. I'd like to live in the city of San Francisco and would like to stay in a neighborhood close to a BART station. Please can you recommend based on the following criteria:

1. We are looking for a relatively safe pedestrian neighborhood, close to groceries, restaurants etc. Density is a plus for us!

2.Quick access to BART - I am ok with walking upto 15-20 mins to the station.

3.Do most commuters to Oakland take BART to work? Or should I consider driving if I am working late hours?

4.My husband plans to bike to the Caltrain station since work sometimes takes him to Palo Alto, Sunnyvale etc. So something reasonably close for him too. He does have a motorbike too, which makes the distance less of an issue but not sure if he can park this at a station in SF and then ride the CalTrain. The priority still remains the BART station.

3. Our budget is a max of $2500 for a 2 bedroom

Thank you in advance for your help! Truly truly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,243,136 times
You're going to have to increase your budget by at least $500, maybe even $1000 to get exactly what you're looking for - someplace like Glen Park or Noe Valley. Most of the areas near BART in the city are not particularly family-friendly or safe. You might have some luck in West Portal, from which you could ride a light-rail to BART and Caltrain. Potrero Hill could also work, it's near the 22nd Street Caltrain and the 3rd street train to downtown and BART.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:05 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,508,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedeep View Post
4.My husband plans to bike to the Caltrain station since work sometimes takes him to Palo Alto, Sunnyvale etc. So something reasonably close for him too. He does have a motorbike too, which makes the distance less of an issue but not sure if he can park this at a station in SF and then ride the CalTrain. The priority still remains the BART station.
Why couldn't he just ride it all the way to Palo Alto? There is plenty of (paid) motorcycle parking around the King St. station, so he could park & ride, but I don't really see the point -- especially since, if you do end up in Noe Valley/Glen Park/etc. it would take him 15-20 minutes just to get to Caltrain.

Lots of people do the SF to Peninsula commute on motorcycles. It's especially nice that California allows "filtering" a.k.a. "lane-sharing" -- so traffic is rarely an issue.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,069,997 times
Quote:

3.Do most commuters to Oakland take BART to work? Or should I consider driving if I am working late hours?

Where is your office?

Lots of Oakland workers live in Oakland or other east bay suburbs, so lots of people drive too.

Personally, if you work around Lake Merritt, it pretty much closes up after dark, especially away from Chinatown.

Downtown around 12th or 19th has a good amount of foot traffic into the evenings.

The rest of the BART stations are in more residential or industrial areas. If you work around the Coliseum BART, that area isn't pedestrian friendly, so I'd just drive.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,771,800 times
Quote:
3. Our budget is a max of $2500 for a 2 bedroom
This won't work in San Francisco!

You can get this in Oakland or in the suburbs, but not in SF.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,127,805 times
Glen Park would definitely work (you can ride BART down to Millbrae and transfer to Caltrain) but yeah your budget probably limits you unless you can do a 1br.

At that budget honestly I would recommend Rockridge in Oakland, it has a BART station and is a really nice pedestrian-friendly neighborhood with a lot of local shops and restaurants. But the commute to Sunnyvale and Palo Alto would really be a drag.

Alternatively you could live in northern San Mateo County, somewhere like Millbrae or San Bruno. From Millbrae to downtown Oakland is about 45 minutes on BART which isn't TOO terrible. Here's a place just a few blocks from the Millbrae BART/Caltrain station.

2 bedroom 1 bath for rent walk to Mills High

As for riding late at night on BART in downtown Oakland, it depends on how street smart and resilient you are, there are a lot of sketchy people hanging around downtown Oakland at night and in its BART stations. It's not really a high crime area, it just doesn't feel safe.

Also if your work isn't in downtown Oakland or near another Oakland BART station then riding BART wouldn't really help, but driving through rush hour traffic to Oakland can really suck depending on where you're coming from. And there's not much parking around downtown Oakland so if you want to drive at night make sure you have somewhere to park.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,069,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post

As for riding late at night on BART in downtown Oakland, it depends on how street smart and resilient you are, there are a lot of sketchy people hanging around downtown Oakland at night and in its BART stations. It's not really a high crime area, it just doesn't feel safe.
I disagree about this sentiment. I think it feels like there is less foot traffic than you'd expect. But as for walking to and from BART, I'd put the safety level as sort of middle of the road. I've felt fine strolling around the BART stations at midnight for 10 years, and it has improved a lot over those 10 years. You need common sense. But let's say, it is way less sketchy than Civic Center, Mission BART stations, West Oakland BART, probably even Bayfair BART, Fruitvale BART. You play less homeless hopscotch than you do at Embarcadero, Montgomery or Powell Street Stations.

I'd put it about the level of downtown Berkley in terms of street smarts and safety. Which is more dangerous than let's say Dublin or Walnut Creek, but not bad. I'd be fine walking to BART alone at any time during BART hours on the main arteries of downtown Oakland. Basic common sense and awareness is sufficient.

Quote:
And there's not much parking around downtown Oakland so if you want to drive at night make sure you have somewhere to park.
Disagree.
There are a million paid lots downtown, but not much street parking. Probably too many actually. But most of the high rises don't have parking so you'll need to check out t a 3rd party lot. Some close early. I'd say it is harder to find a spot after 8 in certain parts of downtown.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:04 PM

370 posts, read 866,614 times
$2500 for a 2br in glen park will be tough. Commuting from the East Bay to Palo alto will not be fun either.

If you are set on the city, you may want to try the area around Balboa Park Bart. It's not as nice as glen park, but you have a better chance with that budget.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,127,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I disagree about this sentiment. I think it feels like there is less foot traffic than you'd expect. But as for walking to and from BART, I'd put the safety level as sort of middle of the road. I've felt fine strolling around the BART stations at midnight for 10 years, and it has improved a lot over those 10 years. You need common sense. But let's say, it is way less sketchy than Civic Center, Mission BART stations, West Oakland BART, probably even Bayfair BART, Fruitvale BART. You play less homeless hopscotch than you do at Embarcadero, Montgomery or Powell Street Stations.
Like I said your mileage will vary. As a guy I don't care about going about downtown Oakland at night, though it just has a rough around the edge vibe to it, but a woman might get really freaked out. On the other hand I KNOW downtown SF away from the tourist streets is more dangerous at night and I pick up on it. I think someone who isn't used to the Bay Area won't pick up on it and will feel like downtown Oakland is more dangerous, even though it has more going on at night than downtown SF.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:56 PM

7 posts, read 14,838 times
Quote:
Where is your office?
Thank you so much for your responses! Glen park seems to be the best option if I re-evaluate my budget. As for where exactly my office is: Its 3 blocks from the 19th street BART station in Oakland.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=&hl=...ed=0CCgQ8gEwAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland