Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,477 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my name is Samuel and i'm 19 years old.
just before anything I'm french so sorry if my English is not perfect ^^
So there is the thing I planified one year ago to go in this fabulous city which is San Francisco for 1 month during the next summer.
And, well, I have a lot of question, I hope you will can help me.

Just for start, what things we must do/visit in San Francisco ?

And I'm also open to talk with people who want to. I mean it could be improve my English, and I really liked it if I can make friends there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 PM

6,415 posts, read 8,272,399 times
I would look up San Francisco on wikitravel.org to get started

It depends on your personality: do you like crowded, touristy places that are great for snapshots and people watching? Or do you like hidden, less known places that only locals go to? You' can definitely find both, depending on what you're into and who you talk to.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,718,440 times
San Francisco Things to Do

Visit Yosemite National Park Yosemite National Park Vacation | Yosemite Vacation | Yosemite Park Vacation

Drive on Highway 1 between San Francisco and Santa Cruz or Monterey.

Bring plenty of money when you come to San Francisco!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:01 PM

I know the website wikitravel but i wanted to know what people there think about what it's important to see or do.
Well, I already go in SF once but i can't say I saw many things, except for the Golden Gate, or the cab. And I like taking pictures of everything, so great point of view on SF are welcome ^^
But I also wanted to know where locals go where they hang out.

Well you speak about driving, do you know a website of a company who rent car in San Francisco or if you know prices of rent ?

Is Santa Cruz or Monterey far from SF ?

Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 PM

6,415 posts, read 8,272,399 times
Santa Cruz is about a 2 hour drive from SF, so yeah you'd need to rent a car. If you're 19, it will cost you a lot of money, so you might want to go with a friend who's older than 25- they get a discount on the daily rate.

What kind of scene do you like? Are you into art, fashion, music, sports, food? Being 19 kinda sucks since you won't be able to get into most bars or clubs in SF- but some places have 18+ nights.

Golden Gate Park and Land's End are great places to explore and go hiking. I'd check those out first

Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,459,649 times
I would recommend you take a tour of Alcatraz island

Angel island is also a great place to hike and have a picnic with a great view, excellent for taking pictures

Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM

28 posts, read 49,549 times
Watch America's cup if its going while you are here.
Watch a San Francisco Giants game
Visit Golden Gate park. Go to the De Young museum or academy of sciences located in the park.
Go to Chinatown.
Walk around the marina, Palace of Fine Arts.
Union Square.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:08 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,456,602 times
Nice views in San Francisco:

Bernal Heights Park
Twin Peaks
Kite Hill
Corona Heights near the Randall Museum
Telegraph Hill (see the wild parrots) and Coit Tower
Dolores Park
Alamo Square
The Presidio

You can get to most of these with a bus ride + a short (steep) walk.

I'd also recommend renting a bicycle and exploring the interesting flatter parts of the city (Golden Gate Park, Valencia Street, Embarcadero) as well as the Golden Gate Bridge. Unfortunately 20 is too young to rent a car.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM

23,507 posts, read 23,980,674 times
Visit Twin Peaks, the Marina District, Union Square (for shopping), Crissy Field, Golden Gate Park and cross the Golden Gate Bridge and visit Marin County.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:44 PM

thanks everyone
There is so much thing to visit there ... ^^
When you say 20 is too young to rent a car, you mean it would be more expensive or I just can't rent a car ?
I have to say for that I prefer France, at least here a bars who doesn't accept 18-21 years old guy don't even exist ^^

And so I also wanted to visit national park, and if i can't rent a car, can I found some bus who go in different National Park ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland