Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:16 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times

Advertisements

Trust me, the crime in Richmond is very real, and exist. If you think it's hysteria, that would be a dangerous assumption. Hysteria doesn't create a crime index like this:
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
(oops - the comment I quoted already got deleted)

I used to work in Richmond (about 3-4 years ago), and even as a youngish single woman I was fine... not that I think it was SAFE, mind you, but people around here really are kinda wimpy.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Trust me, the crime in Richmond is very real, and exist. If you think it's hysteria, that would be a dangerous assumption. Hysteria doesn't create a crime index like this:
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html
Actually your posts are what makes things appear hysterical when in reality, they are not nearly as bad, in fact much nicer than what you would have people believe.

Furthermore, the OP has lived in Piedmont so they probably arent going to fall for your incessant fearmongering.

Also, before you try to bring up Compton, here are comparison income stats to demonstrate that Richmond is a MUCH more middle class place overall, whereas Compton is a bit poorer, even if it has a lower crime rate:

Households Earning $100,000+, 2011 Census Estimate
Richmond, CA 19.8%
Compton, CA 8.1%

Average Household Income, 2011 Census Estimate
Richmond, CA $65,487
Compton, CA $47,005

Families living in Poverty, 2011 Census Estimate
Compton, CA 26.1%
Richmond, CA 6.4%

Old 10-12-2012, 01:47 PM

197 posts, read 667,308 times
Richmond is a fairly spread out city. Some neighborhoods are much worse (e.g. Iron Triangle) than others. It's similiar to lumping all of Oakland into one basket.

Places in the Richmond Hills near the El Cerrito border/Mira Vista Country Club or some place like Carriage Hills look like worlds away from the iron triangle. I-80 and San Pablo Ave are typical dividing lines in the city, although there are exceptions such as Richmond Annex & Marina Bay.

Things don't change much in 5 years and I don't see much gentrification happening in the next 5 yrs in Richmond. El Cerrito could eventually become more desirable as people are priced out of neighboring Albany as EC has 2 BART stations, is right next to Albany/Berkeley, lower crime than Richmond, and significant housing turnover coming on the horizon as the older WW2 era population who have lived there decades moves on.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb724 View Post
Richmond is a fairly spread out city. Some neighborhoods are much worse (e.g. Iron Triangle) than others. It's similiar to lumping all of Oakland into one basket.

Places in the Richmond Hills near the El Cerrito border/Mira Vista Country Club or some place like Carriage Hills look like worlds away from the iron triangle. I-80 and San Pablo Ave are typical dividing lines in the city, although there are exceptions such as Richmond Annex & Marina Bay.

Things don't change much in 5 years and I don't see much gentrification happening in the next 5 yrs in Richmond. El Cerrito could eventually become more desirable as people are priced out of neighboring Albany as EC has 2 BART stations, is right next to Albany/Berkeley, lower crime than Richmond, and significant housing turnover coming on the horizon as the older WW2 era population who have lived there decades moves on.
IMO, El Cerrito is already becoming fairly desirable based on their low-end to mid-range properties. Crime is not a huge problem in El Cerrito like it is in Oakland or Richmond, and it has a BART station.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually your posts are what makes things appear hysterical when in reality, they are not nearly as bad, in fact much nicer than what you would have people believe.

Furthermore, the OP has lived in Piedmont so they probably arent going to fall for your incessant fearmongering.

Also, before you try to bring up Compton, here are comparison income stats to demonstrate that Richmond is a MUCH more middle class place overall, whereas Compton is a bit poorer, even if it has a lower crime rate:

Households Earning $100,000+, 2011 Census Estimate
Richmond, CA 19.8%
Compton, CA 8.1%

Average Household Income, 2011 Census Estimate
Richmond, CA $65,487
Compton, CA $47,005

Families living in Poverty, 2011 Census Estimate
Compton, CA 26.1%
Richmond, CA 6.4%
That's true, Compton hasn't really transformed itself from the lower-middle class, blue collar community it's always been, but the city has managed to reduce the overall gang violence that tore it apart during the 80s. This type of crime plagues places like Richmond, Oakland, and to a lesser extent, Vallejo.

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned from the history of Compton.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:37 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
That's true, Compton hasn't really transformed itself from the lower-middle class, blue collar community it's always been, but the city has managed to reduce the overall gang violence that tore it apart during the 80s. This type of crime plagues places like Richmond, Oakland, and to a lesser extent, Vallejo.

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned from the history of Compton.
And so therefore, you would rather LIVE in Compton over ANYWHERE in Oakland and Richmond?

I dare you to answer.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM

Did I say that? I live in Lafayette and since I'm old and retired and don't pay a mortgage, I'll probably stay here for the rest of my life.

I simply stated that there is a lesson to be learned in how they were able to combat crime and reduce violence in their city. Same could be said about Echo Park and Silverlake which experienced similar transformations.

Obviously if crime has been a problem in Oakland (and Richmond to a slightly lesser extent) for decades, they aren't doing something right.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,447 times
Default All Hysteria

Born and raised in San Jose, I've lived in SF, Union City and 10 years now in Richmond (not in the Hills or the Point). The reputation is not deserved and mostly hype/hysteria.
Look at the papers and the reports of all the Bay Area cities and stop focusing on Richmond by itself. Monte Sereno just had a home invasion, drive-by shootings in Antioch (and Vallejo), Surenos in Fremont, hookers in downtown San Rafael, rapes of joggers along paths in Los Gatos. C'mon now!
If you're an "investor", I don't want you. I want people living in my neighborhood with a vested interest in the community, not just trying to make money off us as an absentee landlord.
No arts community? Richmond Arts Center patrons and instructors are also affiliated with The Crucible, SF State and other institutions. World renowned glass artists, artisan bakers, Rosie the Riveter National Park, maritime services for small dingys to MegaYachts, more shoreline than any other California city that I know of, etc, etc, etc.
Stop picking on Richmond!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,447 times
Since when hasn't Richmond had a BART station?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland