Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM

159 posts, read 491,065 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

According to this: "Also of interest is that Richmond has more people living here who work in computers and math than 95% of the places in the US."

Is that really true? I know there are some people who live in nice parts of Richmond who may have professional jobs or white-collar jobs that may involve them sitting in the office doing their work on the computer, but is it really as educated as this site says?

I also checked East Palo Alto and it says the same thing about 95% more than other communities in America in terms of people working in computers. I found that kind of hard to believe because I thought it was a very poor uneducated place.

It also says my city (Santa Rosa) is the same thing. It seems like the majority of the places you plug in will say the same thing.

So was what this site said really true about these cities or is there some inaccuracy here?

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2012 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 PM

622 posts, read 1,145,733 times
Um, the Bay Area, in general, has a highly educated population. I've not lived in Richmond but I have friends who live there. Like Oakland all of Richmond isn't dodgy. I'm sure the same can be said for East Palo Alto merely based on it being next to Silicon Valley.

There are nice areas and people with the money move to Richmond for sure. One of my friends from law school grew up there and now lives there with her husband and kids. She's an attorney and he's in tech. I can't discuss the numbers but it doesn't surprise me.

Last edited by rkwalton; 10-14-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 09:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Yup I know lots of college educated people that live there. It is not all sketchy.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:04 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
2010:

High school or higher: 75.4%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 22.4%
Graduate degree: 8.3%

Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
This is the Bay Area. Every city has a lot of educated and professional residents and Richmond is no exception.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is the Bay Area. Every city has a lot of educated and professional residents and Richmond is no exception.
I guess that kinda makes me more aware of where I live now (the Greater Bay Area that is). The Bay Area is one of the most educated places in the US are many people are white-collar, working with computers, whether it's using a computer or being a computer engineer. A lot of people trash on Richmond and yes, I have been there, but I do know of some very nice parts where I'm sure very well educated people reside. However I don't know if East Palo Alto is home to any professionals because I thought it was just a totally low-income area, but seeing as it's close to Palo Alto it might have a nice street or two.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
I love how people assume that having an education= monetary success...

Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
I guess that kinda makes me more aware of where I live now (the Greater Bay Area that is). The Bay Area is one of the most educated places in the US are many people are white-collar, working with computers, whether it's using a computer or being a computer engineer. A lot of people trash on Richmond and yes, I have been there, but I do know of some very nice parts where I'm sure very well educated people reside. However I don't know if East Palo Alto is home to any professionals because I thought it was just a totally low-income area, but seeing as it's close to Palo Alto it might have a nice street or two.
Well, EPA is a little different because unlike Oakland and Richmond, it doesnt really have the size or natural features(hills, waterfront etc) that would give it a chance of having more socio-economic diversity.

But just to illustrate the fact that even places with high crime in the Bay Area tend to have greater wealth and educational attainment than other regions--here is a list of some of the cities with high violent crime rates and a reputation that is less than dreamy.

Anyway, you will notice a difference between the Bay Area's cities and LA's cities:

2010 violent crime data is from the FBI.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, EPA is a little different because unlike Oakland and Richmond, it doesnt really have the size or natural features(hills, waterfront etc) that would give it a chance of having more socio-economic diversity.

But just to illustrate the fact that even places with high crime in the Bay Area tend to have greater wealth and educational attainment than other regions--here is a list of some of the cities with high violent crime rates and a reputation that is less than dreamy.

Anyway, you will notice a difference between the Bay Area's cities and LA's cities:

2010 violent crime data is from the FBI.
Wow, haha, this really makes me open my eyes on this thing, but it's no surprise SoCal's poor communities are that uneducated.

Even though Santa Rosa, for example, has its bad/not-so-great parts, there's lots of very beautiful and wealthy pockets where the houses sell well over one million dollars. Plenty of rich people here, as well as throughout the North Bay. Can't really generalize a whole city, but I still think most people envision as Richmond as all bad.

Also, I'm guessing when this neighborhoodscout thing compared 95% over other places in the US, they probably meant any city or town in the country whether it be a large city or small town that has 5,000 people. There are a lot of small and mid-sized communities all across the US, especially middle America and the mid-west where it's definitely more blue collar in those parts of the country, or at least that's what I would think of. Definitely not as much computer-related work out there I'd think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland