Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 18,767 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, currently in DC area. I am considering a move to SF Bary area from sometime in early part of 2013 for a family reason. I am a single Asian male in late 30s with about 350K of liquidity and anywhere from 300K to 400k in home I'm living in.

I certainly understand cost of living and tax will be higher in SF Bay area than in D.C., but meeting some people from L.A., some have said it will be higher, but not that much.

Two questions:
1) Is I.T. job market an exception of the current horrendously awful job market in California? In other words, is the I.T. job market in good condtion out there? Media does say I.T. is a big thing in the SF Bay area, but not sure how true tha would be as I.T. is a vast field with fierce competition anywhere you go.

2) Compared to D.C. area, how would you say Asian men in general are received by the community out there in S.F. Bay Area in terms of professional (workplaces), and personal (friends, significant other) lives?

I heard some bad things about Southern California, mostly about L.A., so I wouldn't expect things are rosy out there, but from what I hear, some Californians who get tired of living in L.A. seem to migrate to S.F. or Bay Area for some rejuvenation. That is the impression I get from what I read.

Could you advise and/or share your opinions/experices? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 AM

224 posts, read 454,632 times
you can afford to live in a nice area here. If you include development under the umbrella term of "IT", then yes, it is doing really well here. Put it this way, I got multiple offers in 3 weeks before I decided on my current position. Probably should have negotiated for more, but that's not my strong suit lol. Asian men are perceived fine here in SF since there are a lot of asians. If you're dating outside of your race, women seem to care less about that here than in other parts of the country. However, they care about your wallet more than in other parts of the country too lol.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:39 AM

159 posts, read 491,325 times
I think there's a good amount of IT stuff in the Silicon Valley from what I have heard, especially in communities like Sunnyvale or Cupertino. Very expensive to live in those places.

I'm half Chinese myself, but I definitely kinda identify more with Asians and look more Asian. The Asian population is pretty sizable in the Bay Area, especially in San Francisco. However, the North Bay (Marin and Sonoma Counties) and certain parts of the East Bay usually don't have large populations of East Asian people. I would say in general us Asian guys are kind of perceived as nerds anywhere, haha, but it's not like you're going to see a lot of Asian American men hanging out in a bar anywhere in the Bay Area (or at least in the bars where I live, but don't go to often).

Interracial families are very common everywhere in the Bay Area, and that's what I love about Northern California. Some discrimination of course and I have experienced it but it's a pretty tolerant place and most people here feel accepted.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
I think there's a good amount of IT stuff in the Silicon Valley from what I have heard, especially in communities like Sunnyvale or Cupertino. Very expensive to live in those places.

I'm half Chinese myself, but I definitely kinda identify more with Asians and look more Asian. The Asian population is pretty sizable in the Bay Area, especially in San Francisco. However, the North Bay (Marin and Sonoma Counties) and certain parts of the East Bay usually don't have large populations of East Asian people. I would say in general us Asian guys are kind of perceived as nerds anywhere, haha, but it's not like you're going to see a lot of Asian American men hanging out in a bar anywhere in the Bay Area (or at least in the bars where I live, but don't go to often).

Interracial families are very common everywhere in the Bay Area, and that's what I love about Northern California. Some discrimination of course and I have experienced it but it's a pretty tolerant place and most people here feel accepted.
Where are you going? I see east asian people at the bar all the time. :P Especially in SF. A little less so in Oakland, but Oakland seems has a lot more older east asian people or you know families so they aren't the type to be in the bar. Bars in Berkeley have way more younger asian people for whatever reason. I see lots of Asians around my age out in restaurants and such. I only go to a few bars, and I seem to run into a lot of hipsters. There are less Asian hipsters.

I find in many cases, Asians mostly hang out with other Asians.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 AM

10 posts, read 18,767 times
Quote:
Well, Asians hanging out with other Asians generally tends to be the case here in DC area on the East coast. I don't think that in itself is bad, but that is socially limiting which is not good.

What I heard about West Cost is that Asians are more accepted with other ethnicities because West Coast is closer to the Far East, but I guess, it is likely to be the same wherever you go in the Western World. I guess it's mostly how you fit in with them, not the other way other, whether it be DC or SF Bay area??? Right or wrong or kind of?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC2012 View Post
Well, Asians hanging out with other Asians generally tends to be the case here in DC area on the East coast. I don't think that in itself are bad, but that is socially limiting which is not good.

What I heard about West Cost is that Asians are more accepted with other ethnicities because West Coast is closer to the Far East, but I guess, it is likely to be the same wherever you go in the Western World. I guess it's mostly how you fit in with them, not the other way other, whether it be DC or SF Bay area??? Right or wrong or kind of?
I don't know if the Far East being close to the West Coast has much to do with that. It still is very far (11-12 hours plane ride from SF to Shanghai still), and there are certain places in California that have very few East Asian people, but maybe more Southeast Asians (Filipinos, Vietnamese, Laotians). It's mainly in the major cities and metropolitan areas where East Asian people are concentrated. The West Coast in general is a very accepting place of people of any race or heritage which is why I like it and there are lots of intercultural families.

I think also the East Coast might have Asians hang out with Asians more than the West Coast because its Asian population is not as long established as the West Coast's. Asians have been in the West Coast, specifically SF, LA, and Seattle, for a long time, mostly in urban areas. The East Coast did not start receiving a lot of immigration from China, South Korea, Vietnam, etc. probably until the early 1990s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where are you going? I see east asian people at the bar all the time. :P Especially in SF. A little less so in Oakland, but Oakland seems has a lot more older east asian people or you know families so they aren't the type to be in the bar. Bars in Berkeley have way more younger asian people for whatever reason. I see lots of Asians around my age out in restaurants and such. I only go to a few bars, and I seem to run into a lot of hipsters. There are less Asian hipsters.

I live in Santa Rosa. No Asian people in bars, but I don't go to bars (I'm 19).

Last edited by CyanideThistles; 10-19-2012 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,433 times
I'm an SF native living outside of DC. I'm also half Asian myself. SF, and the Bay, is definitely more accepting of Asians. Especially San Francisco. SF is undoubtedly the most Asian big city in America by proportion. Culturally, SF is probably the most important city in America in terms of the Asian American experience, as a whole. Every major city in the Bay has a significant Asian population. Even Oakland is almost a fifth Asian. Asians on the West Coast are more diverse, period. In California, you have upper middle class Asians with good jobs, normal middle class Asians as well as poor ghettoized Asians living in the worst hoods in the state alongside Blacks and Latinos. On the East Coast, Asians tend to be more one-dimensional and stereotypical. The biggest Asian ethnic group on the East Coast are Koreans who are usually small business owners who own deli's, laundromats, corner stores, liquor stores, restaurants and bars from the ghetto to the suburbs.

In DC, Asians are a peripheral minority. You know that. DC's two block Chinatown has more Blacks and Whites than Asians out an about for God's sake. In DC, Asians are not very socially accepted by Blacks or even Whites. Yes, you have your token Asian female/White male relationships on the East Coast. But on the East Coast, you will be constantly reminded that you "are Asian" by annoying Black and White people when you hang around them. This is strange as I am mixed and some people can't tell that I'm any percent Asian and think I'm full-blooded Latino or just light-skinned Black without any Asian ancestry. There are much more multiracial people like me in the Bay who are mixed with Asian as well. On the West Coast, Asians are more accepted by people of other races from Whites to Blacks to Latinos depending on the social context and the area. Certain neighborhoods in the Bay Area, and California, are more segregated along economic lines rather than racial lines. Many neighborhoods in SF and Oakland fit this bill where Asians are well integrated, socially and residentially, with other races.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
I don't know if the Far East being close to the West Coast has much to do with that. It still is very far (11-12 hours plane ride from SF to Shanghai still), and there are certain places in California that have very few East Asian people, but maybe more Southeast Asians (Filipinos, Vietnamese, Laotians). It's mainly in the major cities and metropolitan areas where East Asian people are concentrated. The West Coast in general is a very accepting place of people of any race or heritage which is why I like it and there are lots of intercultural families.

I think also the East Coast might have Asians hang out with Asians more than the West Coast because its Asian population is not as long established as the West Coast's. Asians have been in the West Coast, specifically SF, LA, and Seattle, for a long time, mostly in urban areas. The East Coast did not start receiving a lot of immigration from China, South Korea, Vietnam, etc. probably until the early 1990s.

I live in Santa Rosa. No Asian people in bars, but I don't go to bars (I'm 19).
The north bay is probably the "least" asian area in the Bay.

OP, even though I commented I mostly see Asians with other asians, I think it is more related to the fact that if you choose to only hang out with other Asians, there are actually enough for you to have a clique if that makes sense.

That being said, I have a few close friends that are asian (and I am black). And no one "gives us weird looks" if we are out. Hope this makes sense. Things in the Bay Area tend to be segregated on interests and class and not race/ethnicity/nationality unless people choose to do so.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The north bay is probably the "least" asian area in the Bay.

Very true.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:46 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Lots of IT jobs in Silicon Valley, SF, Peninsula and the East Bay. Most of the concentration of IT positions will be in Silicon Valley, though. The IT job boom is a bright spot in the California job market.

If you're skilled, educated and market yourself, you should be able to negotiate several interviews which will turn into job offers. There's a shortage of talent here for specific skills and while the job market is competitive, there are a lot of companies hiring here.

The tech industry is generally a "color blind" place, as long as you have the right skills, you should be able to command a job irregardless of ethnic background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland