Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 11:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times

Advertisements

I never brought or bought a bag while grocery shopping in Europe.

The markets provide cartons/boxes free at the end of the checkouts...

These are the boxes originally containing the goods being sold.

Those of my colleagues that reused stout canvas bags were meticulous to keep them clean and sanitary...

Still don't understand how EBT customers get a pass on bags????

Does the 10-cent charge per paper bag apply to everyone? Who is exempt?

All affected stores authorized to accept WIC or SNAP purchase payments must provide at the point of sale, free of charge, either reusable bags or recyclable paper carryout bags or both, at the store's option, to any customer participating either in the Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) or in the CalFresh/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
I'm glad to see this thread is alive and well.

Yes, the 10-cent charge for paper bags is still as misguided as ever. No, I never switched to reusable bags. Yes, I continue to buy primarily online so now things that I would have bought at my local stores are shipped to me in far bulkier cardboard boxes that use plastic padding and in which individual items are often shrink-wrapped to prevent leakage. And I also buy plastic garbage bags for recycling where I would have used paper bags before. All of which goes into the trash if recycling is problematic. Complete failure by half-baked (in every sense of the word) do-gooders.
Your life sounds way more complicated now...a few reusable bags in the car is that difficult that you now have to ship/wait days (or a day) for your stuff to come to you? All because they now charge for bags?

It's really not that big of a deal...

Old 06-22-2016, 11:52 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
What people don't realize is reusable bags spread food born diseases like salmonila since they never get washed and then touch other food.
That's why I make simple tee shirt bags. Very easy since jersey doesn't run, you don't have to finish the cuts. Cut off the sleeves but leave the seams for strength, sew the bottom hem shut, cut out the neck band leaving about two inches on each side for handles and you have a washable and dryable bag.

I actually switched to rip stop nylon. I like the kind with the crisp feel not the silky feel...the silky stuff shreds like mad. Buy a yard, cut it into three even pieces, selvage to selvage. You get three bags. Sew the selvages together, pull in each side about three inches and sew the bottom. It's easier if you press it, but press on a cool setting, nylon can melt. Pinning works, too.

For the handles, cut a square out of the top center, making sure you cut into the folded in bit to make a hole for the handles, and sew the handles together. I like to sew them together and then sew the seam allowance tabs down. No need to finish the cut top...rip stop will fray to the next little square and stop...

Easy enough to find tutorials for this...

I'm not wasting good money on bags. It doesn't seem like much, but those quarters add up and that's money I could spend on sewing needles!

Old 06-23-2016, 07:24 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That's why I make simple tee shirt bags. Very easy since jersey doesn't run, you don't have to finish the cuts. Cut off the sleeves but leave the seams for strength, sew the bottom hem shut, cut out the neck band leaving about two inches on each side for handles and you have a washable and dryable bag.

I actually switched to rip stop nylon. I like the kind with the crisp feel not the silky feel...the silky stuff shreds like mad. Buy a yard, cut it into three even pieces, selvage to selvage. You get three bags. Sew the selvages together, pull in each side about three inches and sew the bottom. It's easier if you press it, but press on a cool setting, nylon can melt. Pinning works, too.

For the handles, cut a square out of the top center, making sure you cut into the folded in bit to make a hole for the handles, and sew the handles together. I like to sew them together and then sew the seam allowance tabs down. No need to finish the cut top...rip stop will fray to the next little square and stop...

Easy enough to find tutorials for this...

I'm not wasting good money on bags. It doesn't seem like much, but those quarters add up and that's money I could spend on sewing needles!
That is a little too much work for me.

I just reused the plastic bags the store included for things like small garbage cans, carrying lunch to work, picking up dog poo, etc. Now I buy plastic bags for some of these tasks, a net savings of zero bags and less Liberty for everyone in the state; the California way.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:55 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Nickel and dime you to death. That's all they do to you here if you live here.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:13 AM

1,099 posts, read 901,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Nickel and dime you to death. That's all they do to you here if you live here.
I'd say that pretty much sums it up.

-25 cents for a bag for your groceries

-4 minutes for a quarter on a parking meter that used to get you 30 minutes

-Parking tickets now at $70 (used to be at least half that)

-Mandatory fee tacked on to food bill for servers (no tip but the fee is 20% which would be a pretty good tip)

-Gas tax of 53 cents per gallon (and soon to come...tax per mile driven)

And it goes on and on. I'm waiting for "them" to start charging for air

THANK GOD FOR PROP 13 THOUGH

Old 06-24-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post

-Mandatory fee tacked on to food bill for servers (no tip but the fee is 20% which would be a pretty good tip)

Well the gas stations already charge for air for your tires. They didn't do that before. If they could they would charge you for the air that you breath just like the water that you drink.

Before parking meters used to accept nickels up to quarters.

As far as fines, parking tickets etc. Court fees continue to go up and up.
The people here are sheep and just pay the increased taxes, property taxes and fines etc. Must be easier to comply than resist or just move if you are a wolf.

Idiot government of Commiefornicate the State of Chaos and Crooks-CA.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post

I'm with you...

Just imagine what it would be like if taxing districts and legislatures had a free hand to raise property tax without constraint?

Old 06-24-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm with you...

Just imagine what it would be like if taxing districts and legislatures had a free hand to raise property tax without constraint?
Isn't the State of Washington like that?
In 1991 there was a big migration of California transplants to Washington state.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Isn't the State of Washington like that?
In 1991 there was a big migration of California transplants to Washington state.
Yes... it is now as far as individual homeowners are concerned...

Washington's voter approved version of Prop 13 call I-747 limited property tax increases and after a few years was tossed out by a King County Judge...

My property tax increased 80% year over year and had bought 18 months prior... it really made me appreciate California's Prop 13...

Someone with more money than brains paid an over the top price for some land with plans of developing... this triggered the reassessment of all neighboring parcels... absolute insanity and the guy that started all this with his high dollar purchase went bankrupt with the market crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland