Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:31 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peudedieu View Post
Hi,

On a recent trip to San Francisco, I was astonished at the terrible level of noise on BART. I live in Vancouver and the Sky Train here is much quieter. Does anyone know if there are plans to rebuild or renovate parts of the BART as to reduce the noise?
The noise level is fine. Well, fine when compared to NYC's A train at any given time. I've been on better systems and on worse systems. The noise level isn't ideal when there is an announcement but, otherwise, you can't tell people to shut up on something like public transit. That's more a cultural thing than not and the noise level adjusts depending on who is on it. Get on a train with a bunch of kids who've just gotten out of school? Hell. Get on a train with a bunch of tired travelers coming in from SFO? Pretty quiet (unless they're lost then if you speak their language, help them out so they'll shut up.)

As others have commented, I guess the new cars will deal with the ambient noise the train and tube makes. I almost always have headphones on, so I don't really experience it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 02:51 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
The noise level is fine. Well, fine when compared to NYC's A train at any given time. I've been on better systems and on worse systems. The noise level isn't ideal when there is an announcement but, otherwise, you can't tell people to shut up on something like public transit. That's more a cultural thing than not and the noise level adjusts depending on who is on it. Get on a train with a bunch of kids who've just gotten out of school? Hell. Get on a train with a bunch of tired travelers coming in from SFO? Pretty quiet (unless they're lost then if you speak their language, help them out so they'll shut up.)

As others have commented, I guess the new cars will deal with the ambient noise the train and tube makes. I almost always have headphones on, so I don't really experience it.
We're talking about the noise the train makes and this is anything but ambient! In downtown Oakland the trains are underground yet if youre at Grand ave and MacArthur you can hear it at times and this is through urban noise as well except during the busiest times.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:56 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
We're talking about the noise the train makes and this is anything but ambient! In downtown Oakland the trains are underground yet if youre at Grand ave and MacArthur you can hear it at times and this is through urban noise as well except during the busiest times.
Whatever you call it, fine. I was just addressing the noise from people and noting that I realize that the noise from the trains is also an issue.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 PM

58 posts, read 209,198 times
Well, somehow, Vancouver SkyTrain manages to keep its light rail pretty quiet--certainly not bothersome...whoever is planning a new BART rail should look to it as an example.

Blocking out noise with more noise is a bad idea. You could be causing yourself some serious hearing damage. I suggest going with some good quality earplugs.

Last edited by peudedieu; 10-19-2012 at 04:51 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 04:01 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,641,413 times
BART's problem kinda mirrors that of those multi-purpose bowl stadiums built in its time period (like the Oakland Coliseum)...it's old enough to be clunky, outdated and annoying, but not old enough to be charming. And unlike a sports stadium, you can't force a private company to pay for it (or a sizable chunk of the expense). A complete overhaul of BART would cost billions, and with taxes and fares what they are already, I doubt the public will go for it.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:13 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
BART's problem kinda mirrors that of those multi-purpose bowl stadiums built in its time period (like the Oakland Coliseum)...it's old enough to be clunky, outdated and annoying, but not old enough to be charming. And unlike a sports stadium, you can't force a private company to pay for it (or a sizable chunk of the expense). A complete overhaul of BART would cost billions, and with taxes and fares what they are already, I doubt the public will go for it.
Funny enough, part of their future budget is "infrastructure" improvements and it also represents one of their biggest on paper deficits.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Whatever you call it, fine. I was just addressing the noise from people and noting that I realize that the noise from the trains is also an issue.
This whole topic is about the noise from the trains. BART patrons are actually rather silent.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peudedieu View Post
Well, somehow, Vancouver SkyTrain manages to keep its light rail pretty quiet--certainly not bothersome...whoever is planning a new BART rail should look to it as an example.

Blocking out noise with more noise is a bad idea. You could be causing yourself some serious hearing damage. I suggest going with some good quality earplugs.
Light rail in general is quieter although the San Diego Trolley at times can have Bart like noise, just not quite as loud.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Yeah, I took some visitors on BART last month and they could not believe how noisy the trains were. That would be one of the main improvements I would recommend on the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland