Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 04:42 PM

224 posts, read 454,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Who cares that you make $100k? That's part of your problem right there. Caring how much someone makes IS materialistic.

Another thing. The Bay Area is full of smarty pants too. I went to a great university. I went to a great law school. I went to top university when I lived abroad. I got that "I'm the only smart person in the room" perspective beat out of me in university because EVERYONE was smart.

Most of the people I meet here are educated working professionals. It's about them as people. Are they nice? Are they interesting? Can they talk about things beyond their alma mater, job or income?

BTW, there are a lot of people in San Francisco that make $100k that much or much more. That's why buying property and renting in the city is crazy right now.
Dude, if you even read any of my regular posts you'd know I'm the last person to be flaunting money now. I KNOW I don't make **** in SF because I can't find decent housing here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 04:43 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
San Francisco already has the most expensive rents outside of New York but at the same time, San Francisco is where the term 'anti-manhattanization' was coined by people who did NOT want SF to become wall to wall highrises so they vehemently scrutinize and oppose highrise projects that they feel would destroy the ambience of SF.
San Francisco has had the most expensive rents outside of NYC already since before 1990.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:03 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post
Dude, if you even read any of my regular posts you'd know I'm the last person to be flaunting money now. I KNOW I don't make **** in SF because I can't find decent housing here!
I'm not a dude, dude, but a woman. So I'm probably one of those women who does not give one crap that you make six-figures. And, also, no, I don't click around so much to know your renting situation. I have noticed you've started a few threads about it, but since I really don't care about renting in San Francisco because I live in Berkeley now, I've skipped them.

Good luck, but, no, San Francisco IS NOT becoming Manhattan. I know this because I've lived there too.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
As someone who lived in both San Francisco and Manhattan, never.

In terms of rents and buying property, yes, it's pretty expensive. However, otherwise, no. I love both cities and they're very distinct.

BTW, you don't NEED a car in San Francisco. I moved from L.A., my hometown, to San Francisco for law school. I had two cars when I lived here and I realized once that was over that I should have just sold my Honda as soon as I moved into the city.

Rents in San Francisco have always been expensive and the current tech boom is one reason rents and properties are so expensive now. (I'm sure there are other reasons too.)
Wait a minute, why are you living in San Francisco if you went to law school at Berkeley or Palo Alto? Law school is very expensive and I would think you'd want to save money on not only rent but commuting costs.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Wait a minute, why are you living in San Francisco if you went to law school at Berkeley or Palo Alto? Law school is very expensive and I would think you'd want to save money on not only rent but commuting costs.
I said I LIVE IN BERKELEY now. I used to live in San Francisco. I'd think with your financial issues you'd not worry about me and my savings or lack of it.

Reading threads is best done in chronological order. Just sayin'.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I said I LIVE IN BERKELEY now. I used to live in San Francisco. I'd think with your financial issues you'd not worry about me and my savings or lack of it.

Reading threads is best done in chronological order. Just sayin'.
No you said you moved to SF for law school, and I'm saying Berkeley and Palo Alto are unnecessary expenditures due to the high rent in SF and commuting costs for a law school student.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
No you said you moved to SF for law school, and I'm saying Berkeley and Palo Alto are unnecessary expenditures due to the high rent in SF and commuting costs for a law school student.
I moved to San Francisco for law school years ago. I've graduated and moved on literally. I'm not in school now.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:53 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
The difference between SF and NYC is that the landlords in NYC UPGRADE their apartments to justify the high cost of rent. In many instances you get new appliances, floors, etc., whereas in SF, the landlords do NOT upgrade their ratty, roach and mice infested apartments, but can STILL get thousands of dollars for it.

Sorry, but even if I had the money, NO WAY would I spend $3,000 for 1930s appliances and chipped ceilings.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Quote:
...You said in a recent post that you've been living here for more than 10yrs? Then in another you mention that you've been here only one year. Only a week ago you mention trying to move here on a certain income with preferably no roommates. I'm totally confused. I'm reading a lot of contradictions.

*(I hope I don't get banned for noticing inconsistencies). I just pick up on stuff.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
...You said in a recent post that you've been living here for more than 10yrs? Then in another you mention that you've been here only one year. Only a week ago you mention trying to move here on a certain income with preferably no roommates. I'm totally confused. I'm reading a lot of contradictions.

*(I hope I don't get banned for noticing inconsistencies). I just pick up on stuff.
I noticed the same and decided to bow out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland