Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 03:06 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,998,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
mod cut

Yes, there are tons of great restaurants outside of SF. And there are tons of great restaurants in SF too.
Yes, but like we've been discussing, the diversity is lacking in S.F (and the Bay Area in general IMO unless you're into chains) or places like Commis in Oakland where you pay $15 for 3 pieces of bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 03:11 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,982,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
SF still attracts immigrants (primarily from China, Mexico, Central America), and it definitely has a diverse food scene. Anyone saying otherwise is ignorant of the reality, or just bitter and wants to talk trash about SF.
Nope, not bitter. I love SF. I am Asian with immigrant parents and grew up in the suburbs east of LA. Lived in OC, NYC, SD and now here. Have visited Canada multiple times. Even though SF isn't stellar on the "Modern Asian" cuisine I mentioned, I still prefer to live here. In LA, everyone knew the best Chinese food was in the suburbs east of LA. No one in my family, in my group of friends, or friends' family ever drove to Chinatown in LA to eat good Chinese food. We just went there on the weekends once in a blue moon to buy cheap goods. Why go there when we have our favorite places in our area? I think people who haven't had that stuff don't know the difference and think SF Asian food is very good. SF Asian food ain't bad and they are pretty good at dim sum and the Vietnamese here is awesome, but for the most part I know the difference. The suburbs of LA is better at Asian ethnic food. I don't like admitting that but I have to speak the truth from my own experience. As for the SF Bay Area, the best Asian food is in the suburbs. And I think this is true for other ethnic cuisines as well.

Oh, and yes SF still attracts immigrants but not as much as the suburbs now do. This isn't just my observation, this is based on statistics conducted by the US Census and other institutions. The latest news is that immigrants prefer the suburbs. That is not to say zero immigrants are moving to the cities, just that immigrants are more likely to move to the suburbs now and suburbs are becoming more diverse or ethnic enclaves.

Last edited by mini_cute; 10-25-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Yes, but like we've been discussing, the diversity is lacking in S.F (and the Bay Area in general IMO unless you're into chains) or places like Commis in Oakland where you pay $15 for 3 pieces of bread.
Yeah, I want to add that even the suburbs in the SF Bay are starting to lack diversity in ethnic cuisine. The peninsula has long been a rich area due to the tech industry there. They aren't going to have as good of ethnic cuisine as a place like the ghetto parts of San Jose or Fremont or something.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
I don't think #3 works. Artists can't go to the suburbs -- too spread out, too uninspiring. Instead, they either move into the next up-and-coming ghetto, or to a less desirable city.

But the rest of it sounds right.
Yeah, you're right. Forgot about that. I think it's just the immigrants moving to the suburbs. The artists move to the next urban or urban-like ghetto. I heard Berkeley and Oakland are having more artists living there now?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Yeah, I want to add that even that even the suburbs in the SF Bay are starting to lack diversity in ethnic cuisine. The peninsula has long been a rich area due to the tech industry there. They aren't going to have as good of ethnic cuisine as a place like the ghetto parts of San Jose or Fremont or something.
The best vietnamese food I ever had in the Bay Area was in North Beach near the red light district. Ghetto as ghetto gets. It was some shanty shop (maybe 150 sqft total) where they had room for maybe 4 people to sit, and a small stove with a wok. I swear this must have been a storage locker for the bigger building next door. Anyway I thought, well, as long as it doesn't kill me...

Me and my wife took a seat, and tasted it.......... wow. I wish I could remember the name (I remember how to get there), because it was delicious and then some. Btw, the rating on the window was "C".

Old 10-25-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
The best vietnamese food I ever had in the Bay Area was in North Beach near the red light district. Ghetto as ghetto gets. It was some shanty shop (maybe 150 sqft total) where they had room for maybe 4 people to sit, and a small stove with a wok. I swear this must have been a storage locker for the bigger building next door. Anyway I thought, well, as long as it doesn't kill me...

Me and my wife took a seat, and tasted it.......... wow. I wish I could remember the name (I remember how to get there), because it was delicious and then some. Btw, the rating on the window was "C".
I actually think SF city does Vietnamese food pretty darn well for some reason. I never had so much Vietnamese food in my life, not even when I lived in OC which is a giant Little Saigon. I prefer Vietnamese now because the Chinese here isn't as good. The suburbs are good for Vietnamese too but SF can hold its own for that kind of cuisine.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I actually think SF city does Vietnamese food pretty darn well for some reason. I never had so much Vietnamese food in my life, not even when I lived in OC which is a giant Little Saigon. I prefer Vietnamese now because the Chinese here isn't as good. The suburbs are good for Vietnamese too but SF can hold its own for that kind of cuisine.
True. SF does Vietnamese food good from my experience. I still think Westminster in OC has S.F beat, but S.F holds its own.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,459,369 times
Quote:
Since when did SF or anywhere in Northern CA start giving out letter grades for health inspections?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:37 PM

493 posts, read 779,542 times
my buddy simon, from hong kong, always said not to eat in chinese restaurants in SF, it was so competitive they had to cut corners if ya know what i mean wink wink.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
my buddy simon, from hong kong, always said not to eat in chinese restaurants in SF, it was so competitive they had to cut corners if ya know what i mean wink wink.
Yeah, I've made it a point to give up on the idea of eating Chinese food in Chinatown. Seen too many unsanitary behaviors and gotten sick too many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland