Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:38 AM

224 posts, read 454,632 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a decent studio(obviously can't afford a one bedroom) that is <=$1750/month within a half hour muni ride to northeast San Francisco(from Marina to Rincon hill). I've looked at the following neighborhoods for places within that price range:

Marina - not happening
Pacific Heights - the places within my price range are so tiny and shoddy I'm surprised they're not government subsidized housing
Russian Hill - haven't looked into this that much, but so far it doesn't look like it's realistically happening
North Beach - not happening
Nob Hill(safe areas) - not realistically happening
Rincon Hill - lack of rentals

Did I miss anything or are my impressions from craigslist wrong? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 AM

35 posts, read 151,607 times
"Not happening" is a bit vague. I would say if you think Pacific Heights is too shoddy then most SF neighborhoods are not going to be suitable for you. If you want something more modern, you need new construction in SOMA and South Beach. However, that is outside of your price range. Just like everyone else, you're going to have to spend more than you're comfortable with or learn to live with traditional SF housing.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:31 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Search Baycrest in craigslist. The location and amenties are good. I was in a bidding war for a unit here as an investment and the agent said most studios are rented out for $1800-$1900. I dont know if there any available for rent now though.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJudah View Post
"Not happening" is a bit vague. I would say if you think Pacific Heights is too shoddy then most SF neighborhoods are not going to be suitable for you. If you want something more modern, you need new construction in SOMA and South Beach. However, that is outside of your price range. Just like everyone else, you're going to have to spend more than you're comfortable with or learn to live with traditional SF housing.
Thanks. Sorry if I didn't make this clear in my post but it's not that Pacific Heights the neighborhood is shoddy. There are a lot of decent or even good looking houses there. But the studios I looked at in my price range were suitable for crackheads. They look to be 350 sq ft, with old appliances and insufficient remodeling. When I was in Hancock Park, a nice neighborhood in LA, I remember seeing NEWER apartments 3 times that size FOR LESS MONEY, with new amenities! Anyone in the know knows that Hancock Park is NOT considered a cheap neighborhood. Sadly, there are still probably like 10 applications for those shantys in Pacific Heights.

And yes, I am a fan of modern architecture. I like, BUT DO NOT REQUIRE, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and hardwood floors. I would be OK with something decent though, at least 450 sq ft with new amenities(no old carpets).

Old 10-27-2012, 01:27 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,587 times
I think you could still make it downtown <30 from Lower Pac Heights, parts of the Western Addition, Inner Richmond, and Laurel Heights.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:32 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post
And yes, I am a fan of modern architecture. I like, BUT DO NOT REQUIRE, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and hardwood floors.
Definitely not gonna see that in SF unless you pay a LOT. Buildings are overwhelmingly old and landlords have zero incentive to upgrade anything.

Anyway, you can add these neighborhoods to your search list, they'll still be really competitive but at least you'll expand your search. Also I'd increase your acceptable commute to 45 minutes, Rincon Hill is a little out of the way. Either that or look in Oakland.

- the Mission (can take BART)
- the western Mission (anything west of Valencia; can take the flaky J, or take the K/L/M at Church St station)
- the Castro/Upper Market/Duboce Park area (can take any Muni Metro train)
- Hayes Valley (can take any Muni Metro train from Van Ness)
- Lower Haight (it's near the N)
- Cole Valley (take the N)
- the Inner Sunset (foggy...take the flaky N)
- Glen Park (can take BART for a quick commute downtown)

Old 10-27-2012, 04:45 PM

35 posts, read 151,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post
Thanks. Sorry if I didn't make this clear in my post but it's not that Pacific Heights the neighborhood is shoddy. There are a lot of decent or even good looking houses there. But the studios I looked at in my price range were suitable for crackheads. They look to be 350 sq ft, with old appliances and insufficient remodeling. When I was in Hancock Park, a nice neighborhood in LA, I remember seeing NEWER apartments 3 times that size FOR LESS MONEY, with new amenities! Anyone in the know knows that Hancock Park is NOT considered a cheap neighborhood. Sadly, there are still probably like 10 applications for those shantys in Pacific Heights.

And yes, I am a fan of modern architecture. I like, BUT DO NOT REQUIRE, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and hardwood floors. I would be OK with something decent though, at least 450 sq ft with new amenities(no old carpets).
I knew what you were talking about. Los Angeles is simply more affordable than San Francisco. You get more for the same amount of money. Again, if you are going to live in San Francisco, you just have to accept that you're going to pay more money for a more modern place, live in an older place, or go further than half an hour out for a commute.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
Why are you living here, exactly? You seem to hate everything about this city.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:44 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Lovely 1BR Apartment in Temescal close to BART

Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
I work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland