Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good luck with that. See post #10.
Exactly. West Oakland has supposedly been experiencing "gentrification" since the late 90s.

Anyone else see it?

Yeah, neither do I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 AM

Here's a great interview that shows why a neighborhood like Silverlake completely transformed from a gang infested hood in the 70s, into a desirable, upper-middle-class hood:
Q&A: Dana Hollister On Her Brite Spot Revamp, Silver Lake's Official Hipsterdom - Digest - Digest - Los Angeles magazine

Places like West Oakland aren't even close.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:11 PM

102 posts, read 170,087 times
IMO, Oakland, Berkeley, Piedmont, and Emeryville are much more appealing than the generic suburbia you will find through the tunnel in Lafayette, Walnut Creek, and so forth. More walkable, more activity, better architecture, more trees, more history, more culture, etc. The weather is more temperate closer to the Bay, the extreme East has very hot summer days and very cold winter nights. There are a fair amount of conservatives and religious zealots through the tunnel in the East as well.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 AM

Just depends on what you're looking for. Oakland also has more violent crime, more theft, more rape, more police corruption, more dropouts, more under performing schools, and more budget deficits. So you have to balance those things into any decision about where to live.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:16 AM

178 posts, read 346,694 times
Default Here I am

Hello. Well, I live in this area. Having a night of insomnia and reading about this new place called NOBE. Seriously? The area being considered has several neighborhoods, some with active neighbors groups and organizations and all with a history and a social fabric among neighbors. I live in the Santa Fe neighborhood on a street that I love. My neighbors are kind, look out for one another, have a yearly yard sale together, and get along well. This is folks who have been here for decades and some new folks like us too (3 years). I have friends in the 40s, 50s, and 60s (streets) as well. None of us live in the same neighborhood and none of us had heard this NOBE word until recently. The realtor vision of NOBE would be hilarious if it wasn't so wrongheaded to sweep histories under the table. Similarly, painting the whole area as a crime ridden gang-infested sex trafficking spot is another broad brush that shows people don't really know the area(s). We're doing fine without being NOBEd. I'm afraid the cat is out of the bag but I imagine there's a whole lot if eye rolling right now.

Realtors renaming of Golden Gate neighborhood raises gentrification concerns with locals | Oakland Local
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland