Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 AM

10 posts, read 18,654 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I'm from the east coast and spent a few years living in SoCal in the past. I now may have the opportunity to relocate back to California. I've been leaning towards LA, as I love the little beach towns like Redondo and such. BUT I'm super laid back and everyone tells me SF would be a better fit for me. But the one time I visited SF it was freezing and foggy, I went to Bakers Beach and was miserable there. But I did like Oakland A LOT...more so for the people, vibe and culture. Does SF have a place like Oakland but also near the beach? Is it ever warm enough to really enjoy the beach? To me, SF felt way too east coast. I didn't even find the people all that friendly...

I guess I want something that reminds me of that laid back feel when I travel to beaches in the carib and latin america but also a bit urban.
I'm a late 20s, BSF I'm also career oriented (lawyer- public interest).
I'm tired of moving around and want to settle in one location for once. Any input/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Check out Alameda. Great weather, nice views of the Bay, very close to Oakland/SF

Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Wow, Redondo, Oakland, and S.F all in one, quite a task to find a place like that! Let me know when you do.

Let's look at the qualities of each first.

Redondo Beach - Small beach community close to West LA proper. Not as urban, definitely slow. Warm weather.
S.F - Generally cool, dense urban city.
Oakland - Warmer East Bay city with great neighborhoods in the hills, lots of crime and drugs in the flats.

First off, you won't find Redondo in S.F, it's just not going to happen. Beaches in NorCal are cold, not just the water, but just the overall weather. S.F doesn't have a huge beach culture while Rendondo/El Segundo/Santa Monica are the epitome of SoCal beach culture. To get anything close to a SoCal beach in NorCal, you may need to go down to Carmel. So geographically, finding a SoCal beach in NorCal, ain't going to happen.

So maybe you're thinking about from the wrong perspective. What about finding something close to S.F/Oakland in SoCal?

Quote:
I guess I want something that reminds me of that laid back feel when I travel to beaches in the carib and latin america but also a bit urban.
With all that in consideration, why not try Santa Monica? It's busy during the weekends, but I've been there during weekdays and it's laid back as can be. It's also urban, walkable, and dense like S.F.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 AM

224 posts, read 454,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchie View Post
Hi All,
I'm from the east coast and spent a few years living in SoCal in the past. I now may have the opportunity to relocate back to California. I've been leaning towards LA, as I love the little beach towns like Redondo and such. BUT I'm super laid back and everyone tells me SF would be a better fit for me. But the one time I visited SF it was freezing and foggy, I went to Bakers Beach and was miserable there. But I did like Oakland A LOT...more so for the people, vibe and culture. Does SF have a place like Oakland but also near the beach? Is it ever warm enough to really enjoy the beach? To me, SF felt way too east coast. I didn't even find the people all that friendly...

I'm a late 20s, BSF I'm also career oriented (lawyer- public interest).
I'm tired of moving around and want to settle in one location for once. Any input/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
what does BSF stand for?

Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM

I assumed black (or blonde) single female. But probably the former.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM

yeah, stands for the former!
thanks Doc! I know I'm asking for a lot...I do love Santa Monica- I lived close by there when I was staying in LA a while back. I think it was just a bit too touristy for me, but I guess I didn't spend enough time down there during the week because I was working a lot. I do like the slow beach vibe..but everyone who is much more familiar with LA and SF than I am tells me that LA isn't chill at all, but I suspect they think LA is all about the hollywood scene.

What do you think of Alameda, as someone above mentioned?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
yeah, stands for the former!
thanks Doc! I know I'm asking for a lot...I do love Santa Monica- I lived close by there when I was staying in LA a while back. I think it was just a bit too touristy for me, but I guess I didn't spend enough time down there during the week because I was working a lot. I do like the slow beach vibe..but everyone who is much more familiar with LA and SF than I am tells me that LA isn't chill at all, but I suspect they think LA is all about the hollywood scene.

What do you think of Alameda, as someone above mentioned?
I find that people who haven't lived in both areas have misconceptions of the other area. For instance, there is a misconception that the Bay Area has awesome public transit, when in reality, LA Metrolink serves way more cities than BART. Let's not even talk about MUNI vs MTA, I don't think it's a contest (MUNI sucks). I was born and raised in Ventura county, so I spent a lot of time in Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, etc. I also have business interest in SoCal, as well as family, so I'm there a lot to visit (was there a week ago actually).

L.A can be chill, NorCal can be chill. It just depends on the city and community. For instance, Lafayette where I live is very chill. It's slow, sometimes boring, but when I do get bored, the city is just a skip away. But S.F is not chill at all. Very dense, fast paced, walk down Market Street near 2nd and during lunch time, I bet you $20 out of the hundreds of people you pass, maybe 10% of them will look you in the eye and give you a nod or even acknowledge you. It all depends on the city.

I happen to think Santa Monica during the weekdays is pretty chill. It only gets touristy during the weekends.

As for Alameda, my soon to be daughter-in-law is from there so I have a lot of experience with the city. It actually has a "beach" of sorts (think somewhat gritty, muddy, interpretation of a beach). It's walk-able, and you actually see people trying to do water sports there. I don't consider Alameda urban at all. It's one of the most suburban areas of the East Bay IMO. But you are close to the city if you need to get out and do something. Alameda I suppose is similar to Redondo without the natural beauty, and without the gorgeous sandy beach.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Thank you for your detailed response! I totally agree about the misconceptions. Also about SF..when I lived in socal, people were generally friendly, evne if it was just externally. But in SF, I found people to be stand-offish and keep to themselves, which was a surprise.

I think I've always known that I love LA BUT I'm from the east coast and I think I felt sort of pressured to want to like SF, since people her hype it up. But I visited and honestly did not like it all that much (though I liked that it was condensed and not spread out like LA). You have solidified my love for LA!

Best

Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your detailed response! I totally agree about the misconceptions. Also about SF..when I lived in socal, people were generally friendly, evne if it was just externally. But in SF, I found people to be stand-offish and keep to themselves, which was a surprise.

I think I've always known that I love LA BUT I'm from the east coast and I think I felt sort of pressured to want to like SF, since people her hype it up. But I visited and honestly did not like it all that much (though I liked that it was condensed and not spread out like LA). You have solidified my love for LA!

Best
There is a lot of hype behind S.F. It's a great city to live but more so before 2000-2001. The dot-com bubble forever changed the landscape and economics of the area. It's simply not the same place it was 15 years ago, and a lot of people try and hang onto that despite the $3,000+ cost for a single bedroom apartment.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 AM

115 posts, read 228,772 times
If you're leaning more towards LA, then consider Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach if you're looking for a more "happening" yet overall laidback, without being touristy, scene. I love Redondo too, but it's way more sedate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland