Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:04 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,248 times

Advertisements

Thanks for everyone's input as this is really good stuff. Sounds like I will see and do things that I might not have otherwise stumbled upon. I'm getting excited already. I love to eat out so good restaurant recs are always appreciated. Any good restaurants that specialize in Californian cuisine? Is Berkeley worth visiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Visit Crissy Field for some beautiful views. Also, visit the Ferry Plaza and take a ferry to Sausalito (worth it).

I also recommend that tourists visit SF Japantown (Geary and Laguna) if you enjoy Japanese culture and food.

Downtown Berkeley has a nice mix of restaurants and a freethinking, progressive environment/feeling about it. Worth a visit.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:04 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Oh yeah! I heard about the parrots!
There's a film about them, and a local guy who befriended them.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM

493 posts, read 783,230 times
where the locals go

Barney's
The End Up
golden eagle
Marijuana dispensary of choice
Therapists office

Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,036 times
I'd better defer to Yelp for restaurant recommendations, but I'll put in a good words for two parks: Sutro Heights and Lands End. They're next to each other; you can visit one, then the other. I still marvel at the Lands End views looking in at the Golden Gate Bridge.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vagabond View Post
I'd better defer to Yelp for restaurant recommendations, but I'll put in a good words for two parks: Sutro Heights and Lands End. They're next to each other; you can visit one, then the other. I still marvel at the Lands End views looking in at the Golden Gate Bridge.
What's really cool is to park the car at Fort Point during high tide. Huge waves smash against the point and create a spectacular show, sometimes drenching the car. Very dramatic.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's really cool is to park the car at Fort Point during high tide. Huge waves smash against the point and create a spectacular show, sometimes drenching the car. Very dramatic.
a famous movie scene from Hitchcock's classic VERTIGO [1958] was filmed at Fort Point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8cWjLMuJgo

Vertigo - Fort Point - Reel SF

Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,606 times
A couple unmentioned neighborhood areas:
-Divisidero between Fell and MacAllister (easy to check out along with the touristy but worthwhile painted ladies of Alamo Square)
-Haight around Fillmore--the fun part of Haight street also close to the lovely Duboce Park
-Castro around Market

You mention that you enjoy dining out. I too will direct you to Yelp, and also to Opentable. Be forewarned: popular places fill up early--if you see a place you like, book a reservation pronto. California cuisine is widespread, and many non-Californian restaurants serve dishes with a California twist. In addition to Yelp, you might check out the Michelin guide, Zagat, and 7x7 magazine.

You should also check for any local events that are going on during your visit, because those events can give you a good feel for the local atmosphere.

Finally, just go see the Golden Gate Bridge. There is one must-see attraction in San Francisco, and it is worth it.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Below is just a very small snapshot of good places that locals go, the real list can easily be over two hundreds. I'll leave you to yelp it for the location and what not. Expect at least 20-30 mins wait for most of these places if you go during peak hours.

Flour + Water (pasta)
Statebird Provision
San Tung (noodles and dry-fried chicken)
So (similar to San Tung)
Papalote (they were on Showdown with Bobby Fray)
Namu Gaji (must order that big pot dish thing, forgot what it's called. Bonus - it's next to Bi-Rite!)
The Richmond (steak)
Pakwan (Pakistani n Indian. Self serve)
Limon (the one on Valencia St)
Turtle Tower (northern Vietnamese, don't confuse them with the usual southern ones)
Hakka Restaurant (way out in the Richmond. Hakka is an indigenous Chinese tribe)
Ichi Sushi
Katana-Ya (ramen. Opens late)
Hong Kong Lounge (dim sum. Go to the bigger one in the Central Richmond.)
Ike's Sandwich
Pacific Catch
Nicagragua Restaurant (a real hole in the wall, slow service)
Pluto (sandwiches)
Slow Club (brunch)
Serpentine (brunch)
Plow (brunch)
Chez Maman
Chez Pappa
Umi
Blowfish Sushi to Die for

Last edited by beb0p; 11-09-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 11:18 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Also check out this link, although I don't agree with some of the selection (like Mission Chinese Food - yuck! Btw, it's not Chinese food.)

The Big Eat 2012 List | 7x7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland