Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 AM

249 posts, read 443,456 times

Advertisements

Why are all my friends moving to Oakland? - The Bold Italic - San Francisco

Let me know if the vibe is starting to feel different to you around Oak-town, and if you think it's headed down the same dark road of self-aggrandizing, self-absorbed, self-serving selling out that is now SF's dark cloud hovering over it.

Oakland seems to be one of the last cities(the very last in the Bay) in the country that is still keeping it real, and has it's grime and grit along with it's friendliness and genuineness intact.

Unfortunately, that always seems to attract the very element that ultimately stamps it out and destroys it utterly with gentrification, and en masse commercializing for the mainstream(RIP Brooklyn).

"Nobody's -trying- to be cool over in(insert non-mainstream city here), so let's go be cool like them and move over there and away from all these -cool-kids here! Let's be different!"

Do you think there's a fair chance Oakland is going to be "cookie-cuttered" in the next few years and lose it's beloved gritty, harsher edge largely due to the fact that SF has been done to death, and the hordes of hopelessly vanilla folk are on the prowl for fresh meat?

Perhaps that's the one positive the high crime statistics impart: they help stave off the overthrow and subsequent demise of Oakland's indigenous culture and vibe.

Last edited by the12ronin; 05-14-2013 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Sounds like the inevitable result of a booming tech sector. The process seems unstoppable.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sounds like the inevitable result of a booming tech sector. The process seems unstoppable.

agreed on that point.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
I've noticed a lot of hipsters in Oakland. Ugh, you can have them too lol.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:37 PM

189 posts, read 362,269 times
Far better to have a bunch of harmless hipsters than a bunch of criminal gangsters around.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,406 times
I frequently hear people complain about how judgmental, elitist, and self-absorbed San Francisco is, how it's not "real", and how much better Oakland is. Yet don't these people realize that by constantly knocking on SF and proclaiming their superiority by living in Oakland, they themselves have also become judgmental, elitist, and self-absorbed? The vast majority of people that I meet in SF are either neutral, or have good things to say about Oakland when I tell them that I live across the Bay. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I experience Oakland residents putting down SF a lot more than the other way around.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,793 times
Hipsters won't be hipsters forever....just another trend. Give it several years and that fad will die out after they get married, have kids or get a bit older and less concerned with how they look/act. Something new will inevitably take its place.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM

343 posts, read 444,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I frequently hear people complain about how judgmental, elitist, and self-absorbed San Francisco is, how it's not "real", and how much better Oakland is. Yet don't these people realize that by constantly knocking on SF and proclaiming their superiority by living in Oakland, they themselves have also become judgmental, elitist, and self-absorbed? The vast majority of people that I meet in SF are either neutral, or have good things to say about Oakland when I tell them that I live across the Bay. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I experience Oakland residents putting down SF a lot more than the other way around.
I'm with you. I welcome outpriced SF hipsters with open arms. The more the merrier. It wasn't very long ago downtown Oakland was abandoned after 5 pm. I'll gladly take the hipster masses and everything that comes with them (bars, restaurants, bike lanes, higher rents, demands for dog park, etc). I remember the alternative.

And for the record I think SF is great. If I didn't live here, I'd live there.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post

Fair post here.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamadon1 View Post
I'm with you. I welcome outpriced SF hipsters with open arms. The more the merrier. It wasn't very long ago downtown Oakland was abandoned after 5 pm. I'll gladly take the hipster masses and everything that comes with them (bars, restaurants, bike lanes, higher rents, demands for dog park, etc). I remember the alternative.

And for the record I think SF is great. If I didn't live here, I'd live there.

Another very good point, except for just one thing...

..the hipsters themselves..ugh.

..helluva price to pay I'd say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland