Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 03:00 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,491,596 times

Advertisements

Public nudity ban eyed in fed-up San Francisco - Yahoo! News

San Francisco may be getting ready to shed its image as a city where anything goes, including clothing.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-19-2012 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,689,536 times
Why has the ban been proposedmod cut? If so, they could just legislate to make sure people are either completely naked without such pumps or vacuums.

What are the people complaining about?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-19-2012 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: a little too graphic for this forum

Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,969,495 times
It's been discussed here in depth a couple of months ago...

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...ture-city.html

Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 PM

I read the other thread. mod cut

I'd think the hoardes of human trash pooing and peeing everywhere while harassing you would be a bigger concern to the City...

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-19-2012 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: stop with the imagery

Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM

506 posts, read 1,152,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I read the other thread. mod cut Is that why the law is coming in to place?

I'd think the hoardes of human trash pooing and peeing everywhere while harassing you would be a bigger concern to the City...
The "hoards" (not so much) who can't quite find the toilet and like to panhandle are confined to certain undesirable neighborhoods. They don't bother most residents of the city, and certainly not the influential ones. Also, it's hard to control crazy homeless people. It's not like they care if they get a ticket.

The Castro is affluent, and has become more of a family-centric area than it used to be. I know lots of people who live there. None of them are gay, most are married. (All the gay people I know live in other neighborhoods/towns.) The behavior of the exhibitionists is disturbing the residents there, and it's easy to pass a law banning nudity. It's not like every place else hasn't got one.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-19-2012 at 04:49 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
The "hoards" (not so much) who can't quite find the toilet and like to panhandle are confined to certain undesirable neighborhoods. They don't bother most residents of the city, and certainly not the influential ones. Also, it's hard to control crazy homeless people. It's not like they care if they get a ticket.

The Castro is affluent, and has become more of a family-centric area than it used to be. I know lots of people who live there. None of them are gay, most are married. (All the gay people I know live in other neighborhoods/towns.) The behavior of the exhibitionists is disturbing the residents there, and it's easy to pass a law banning nudity. It's not like every place else hasn't got one.
So these people are moving in and changing the place, despite this custom having been there BEFORE they arrived? Why choose to live there then?

I don't mind if my child sees the odd naked person on the street. It's not like she goes and undresses afterwards. I don't see how wrapping up kids in cotton wool assists them when they get out into the real world. Nudists exist. So does poverty, crime. These are the results of a person's decision making more than anything. I teach my child to choose the right things for her wellbeing and I don't mind if she is exposed to these things to help her decide RIGHT. and If you are good parent the child, teach the child right from wrong the odd nude pedestrian is not will be not be the undoing of him/her.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM

622 posts, read 1,144,070 times
Oh, for goodness sake, let the oddness of the Castro remain. Honestly? I didn't see a lot of it when I lived in the city back in the late 90s. I then lived close enough to the Castro/lower Haight to just walk over there. I notice the naked guys a lot now, but they don't seem to bother anyone. They're at Castro plaza just chilling out. They're not harassing anyone. They're not hitting on anyone. The only reason to be freaked out is that they're naked and who cares. Considering all the other stuff that needs to be fixed in San Francisco, this just seems like a silly fight.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,976,453 times
Alot of people look much better fully clothed.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM

506 posts, read 1,152,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
So these people are moving in and changing the place, despite this custom having been there BEFORE they arrived? Why choose to live there then?

I don't mind if my child sees the odd naked person on the street. It's not like she goes and undresses afterwards. I don't see how wrapping up kids in cotton wool assists them when they get out into the real world. Nudists exist. So does poverty, crime. These are the results of a person's decision making more than anything. I teach my child to choose the right things for her wellbeing and I don't mind if she is exposed to these things to help her decide RIGHT. and If you are good parent the child, teach the child right from wrong the odd nude pedestrian is not will be not be the undoing of him/her.
People move to the Castro because it is a nice neighborhood with good transit options, and most people move to SF because that's where their job is. *shrug*

I don't have any stake in the issue, but I tend to sympathize with the residents more than the naked guys. There are appropriate outdoor places and times to be nude. Someone doesn't stand naked on what is probably the busiest corner in the city because they want to enjoy that clothes-free feeling. They want to be seen and provoke people. It's rude.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,976,453 times
If you get busted for public nudity you will either be fined or jailed. Thats the american way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland