Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:39 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,008,838 times

Advertisements

So Sheffield Village in Oakland has all the inconvenience of suburb living with the added benefit of horrible schools people are used to finding in urban cities.

That seems like the worst of both worlds. You could live 3-4 BART Stops north and just live in Concord and get better schools, and more house for much less money.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
You could live 3-4 BART Stops north and just live in Concord and get better schools, and more house for much less money.
Well that sounds just like how Laurel or Redwood Heights are 3-4 BART stops away from Downtown SF but offers more house for the money in a much more pleasant environment than Bayview/HP.

Thank you for helping prove my points sweetheart.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM

Well I guess since we're not talking about Sheffield Village in Oakland anymore, we can now cross that off the list of acceptable communities.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 PM

I have no hate for Oakland, and I have lived in the city (albeit a long time ago).

Sheffield Village simply isn't worth it at $400,000. There's a reason why the area is cheap compared to other Bay Area markets. The market is not misinformed.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaseone View Post
You lived in oakland? When and where? Also who are you to judge what worth is.
Yes, ultimately its the market that decides---the rest of us just have opinions.

It is extremely impressive that upper middle class areas like Sequoyah, Redwood Heights and Sheffield Village actually can be had for a reasonable price. Especially considering their central location in the Bay Area and their upscale feel.

Kudos to Oakland.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
1) I said it before, it is not necessary to post pictures lol.

2) There is no need to explain the correlation between income and average home price. It's all about demand and supply. Oakland is cheaper because there is less demand, for reasons such as high crime and a terrible economy. The more desirable a city, the more demand, the less supply, thus higher prices.

3) I still don't understand why the Oakland crew is getting so upset about this because it is simply my opinion. Would you get upset if someone told you that your favorite movie is terrible and XYZ is much better in their opinion?

4) If we look at stats, San Francisco easily beats Oakland, but stats aside, I would rather live anywhere in San Francisco than ALMOST any part of Oakland. This is my personal preference. If I were to live in Detroit, I would expect to live in a 4,000 sq ft SFR in the best part of town. Oakland and Detroit have similar problems such as terrible schools, high crime and horrible economies. If I could get a 4,000 sq ft home in the best part of Oakland for the same price as a lower tier neighborhood in San Francisco, than I would definitely consider it. However, Oakland isn't that much cheaper than San Francisco.

5) I've lived in Washington, Alaska, Florida and Australia. The middle tier neighborhoods in Oakland look like the projects in these states/countries. San Francisco is a great city, so I can understand settling for a lot less, but Oakland has more crime and less attractions than many of the major cities in these states/countries. I don't understand why anyone would want to pay California prices for a city that resembles Detroit. This is my opinion at least.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-26-2012 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: let's just leave racism out entirely, okay?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaseone View Post
This goldstein person, does nothing but post in every oakland thread on the first page with fear. For somebody who claims to live in lafayette why is he so scared of oakland? Why is he focusing on oakland every chance he gets? You want to know why i think he's a racist? Check all his recent posts. Obsessed with crime in non majority white cities that he does not live in or near. LOL at donating time on saturdays, you were posting here yesterday.

LOL @ wanting to live in bayview over nicer parts of oakland. Sure. I take it you've never spent a day in bayview. Otherwise you wouldn't say such foolishness.
mod cut
I actually live between Bayview and Visitation Valley. Like I said before, the middle tier neighborhoods in Oakland look like the projects in many of the cities I've previously lived in and Oakland as a whole is similar to Detroit. Why would I want to give up a 3,500 sq ft home with a private pool and jacuzzi with 1/2 acre lot on a lake to live in a 1,200 square foot old home in an area that resembles the projects from my previous cities? San Francisco is a world class city, while Oakland is just another city with high crime, a bad economy and nothing special about it.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-26-2012 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: editing out all personal references to being a racist

Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 AM

Also I'd like to point out, I don't think Sheffield Village is a trash place to live, I think it's a perfectly good place to live. However, there are reasons why it's so cheap. There's a reason why a 20 year old Chevy is cheap. In both cases, there are major down sides. This is coming from someone who thinks S.F in general is majorly over priced when compared to incomes.

But comparing Sheffield Village to Noe Valley is like comparing White Plains to Manhattan (for you east coasters ). It doesn't make any sense to compare the two.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
mod cut I actually live between Bayview and Visitation Valley. Like I said before, the middle tier neighborhoods in Oakland look like the projects in many of the cities I've previously lived in and Oakland as a whole is similar to Detroit. Why would I want to give up a 3,500 sq ft home with a private pool and jacuzzi with 1/2 acre lot on a lake to live in a 1,200 square foot old home in an area that resembles the projects from my previous cities? San Francisco is a world class city, while Oakland is just another city with high crime, a bad economy and nothing special about it.

The bolded is nonsensical. There isn't a different standard being used for "mid tier" in Oakland... mid tier means middle class. No middle class neighborhood in Oakland "looks like the projects" anywhere. mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-26-2012 at 03:07 AM.. Reason: please don't call people ignorant - it borders on a personal attack

Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
mod cut
I actually live between Bayview and Visitation Valley. Like I said before, the middle tier neighborhoods in Oakland look like the projects in many of the cities I've previously lived in and Oakland as a whole is similar to Detroit. Why would I want to give up a 3,500 sq ft home with a private pool and jacuzzi with 1/2 acre lot on a lake to live in a 1,200 square foot old home in an area that resembles the projects from my previous cities? San Francisco is a world class city, while Oakland is just another city with high crime, a bad economy and nothing special about it.
And you neighborhood is a lot more dangerous than the mid-tier areas of Oakland. But hey, who's comparing apples to apples.

These areas in Oakland look as much like the projects, as the actual projects in North Beach with the Trader Joes.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-26-2012 at 03:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland