Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,246 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of moving to the East Bay in Nov and are looking for some advice on the area. If we are looking for a safe, chic and at the same time family oriented city with good schools, where would you all recommend?

We are interested primarily in the Walnut Creek, Pleasanton area and perhaps the San Leandro area.

Thoughts?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 01:30 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANFRAN2008 View Post
We are in the process of moving to the East Bay in Nov and are looking for some advice on the area. If we are looking for a safe, chic and at the same time family oriented city with good schools, where would you all recommend?

We are interested primarily in the Walnut Creek, Pleasanton area and perhaps the San Leandro area.

Thoughts?

Thank you!
Forget San Leandro... I work there and shop there, and I live at the border of SL and Oakland.... it's got huge problems they are not addressing, hoping they will disappear.

Crime is increasing, gangs are increasing, retail is shrinking and schools are going to be squeezed further by a lot of new residential building that is supposed to be low income and section 8.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
I much prefer Walnut Creek to Pleasanton. Both places have what you are looking for but I think Walnut Creek is prettier, has a more rural/country/established feel in many areas and doesn't have the sprawling new housing estates everywhere. Of course if you're okay with that, the Pleasanton is a good choice also. I like Walnut Creek's proximity to San Francisco- only half hour by BART. I agree with Tallysmom, San Leandro isn't that desirable so skip it if you can.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Forget San Leandro... I work there and shop there, and I live at the border of SL and Oakland.... it's got huge problems they are not addressing, hoping they will disappear.

Crime is increasing, gangs are increasing, retail is shrinking and schools are going to be squeezed further by a lot of new residential building that is supposed to be low income and section 8.
The Area of San Leandro along Bancroft and Estudillo Aves is really nice.

So is the Bay-O-Vista Area of San Leandro.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I much prefer Walnut Creek to Pleasanton.
I would agree were it not for SF2008 saying they wanted somewhere 'chic'. Those places are wealthy and nice, but chic? I dunno about that.

The chicest area of the East Bay imHo begins in Oakland at Lake Merritt(maybe include Glenview and Oakmore) and the Lakeshore and Grand Lake Districts sweeps north through Piedmont, Montclair, over to Rockridge, up into Berkeley through the campus and ends around Albany.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Well, I don't know you'll find "chic" anywhere in California. I've honestly only seen that in Paris and perhaps London. We seem pretty casual overall here with our jeans and Birkenstocks!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Well, I don't know you'll find "chic" anywhere in California. I've honestly only seen that in Paris and perhaps London. We seem pretty casual overall here with our jeans and Birkenstocks!
Im talking about how people live, not really how they dress. And even then, In my experience, most Europeans dress like backpackers. Not exactly 'chic'. The Areas I mentioned are wonderful neighborhoods with very wealthy and highly educated, worldly, professional, cosmopolitan people.

Heck now that I think about it, not many places in the entire country are as sophisticated as that corridor of the East Bay I mentioned.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:38 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I'd go with Walnut Creek, it's going to offer you the most amenities with low crime and good schools compared to pretty much anywhere else in the East Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland