Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 PM

605 posts, read 866,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
So ... you want to move to SF without a job ... (wait ... I'll stop laughing in a minute ...)
I have a few suggestions for you then:
1. Get a list of all the homeless shelters ... you'll need them
2. While there, get a list of the free food shelters
3. If you aren't gay now, then perhaps you will consider becoming a male prostitute
4. Get a list of the community health clinics. (Yes, the SF County Public Health System is already over-run ... but like the above suggestion ... you'll need it...)
5. Develop a "better than thou" attitude (even though you have no visable reason to feel as such) to defend yourself against all the silent hostility you'll encounter because ... YOU DON'T HAVE A SIX FIGURE INCOME ... or a job
I sort of agree with this dude, but I spent a damn year up there, but as the poster made reference to, I also had a $166,000 inheritance from a 94 year old grandmother that died--how much do I have left after Howard Kornfeld?? $10,000
Cool huh, so, um, yeah, make sure you have a job, and better yet, an EIGHT FIGURE INCOME, but be careful of those "better than thou", you can ask them all you want and the type of answer you'll always get, to really serious questions is, "because I can" *flips the bird* yeah, maybe SF isn't for me.

good luck though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 12:15 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhz123 View Post
Hey guys, I've been seriously considering a move out to San Francisco area.

Basically, I would probably be flying over with a about a week of hotel stay, using a portion of our family timeshare, during which time I would either be sublet hunting or apartment hunting, then job hunting.

Where should I be looking to stay (hotel)? Look for a sublet/apartment? (Studio, under $1k ideally or with roommates).

I think I would like to work in the city, so I would need a public transit commute of ideally under 45 minutes.

I had a brief stint in NYC, and now that I'm back in Boston, really can't stand living in the nest. I kind of miss NYC for what it is. I also don't mind Boston but if I had to choose a place to settle down in, it would probably still be NYC, despite my love/hate relationship with the place.

All this maybe moot anyway, I am dead set on going to graduate school in 2 years. The easiest thing I could do now is stay in Boston and wait it out, (though if I got into Sloan or HBS, I'd still be around I guess)... or I could have a bit more fun along the way and see a bit more of the US. (Have never been to the West Coast).

Any of you have any suggestions of places to live/look for apartments in the event I do decide to make the flight?
Like the spare tire in a car, make sure you pack a tent and an empty pickle jar.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:28 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Like the spare tire in a car, make sure you pack a tent and an empty pickle jar.
Hope it was a really really really BIG pickle jar seeing how as the original post is near nine years old now.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:32 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
It's an 8-yr-old thread that someone revived to post spam.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:16 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
Yes average rent, that probably is the average of everything including houses, 5 bedroom apartments, etc.. According the rent-sf.com which takes real data from online listings (tens of thousands of them), median price for a studio for online listings over the last year is $1250 in San Francisco. Some parts like the western and southern parts of the city (Excelsior/Sunset) average studios under $1000.
Yeah if you have a time machine. Youre off by quite a lot. The median rent in sf for a ONE BEDROOM is $3500 a month.
OP, you have no hope of finding housing by yourself if your budget is 1k. Roommates are your only hope. Also, unless you have a lot in savings, dont even think of moving to sf bay without a job. Treat your trip out here as reconnaisance/job hunt before commiting, and if you find worthwhile work and housing, ship your stuff out later.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann304 View Post
The best way to go through life is be spontainious. A plan is ok but boring and to predictable.

Just move and don't look back i always say.
This aint 1967. Terrible advice, wrong city wrong time for that mentality...

Old 03-06-2016, 07:26 AM

LOL. Now i get why the math was so off. 9 year old thread! Why on earth did you bump this thread fc76-81? What were you searching for when you found it?

Old 03-07-2016, 10:30 PM

810 posts, read 851,839 times
maybe just go there for vacation. It is a great city but way to expensive to live unless you are really wealthy or have a very high paying job.

I was born there but moved when i was very young.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:48 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
LOL. Now i get why the math was so off. 9 year old thread! Why on earth did you bump this thread fc76-81? What were you searching for when you found it?
Like most here, he's searching for the meaning of life and our place in the infinite universe.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Like most here, he's searching for the meaning of life and our place in the infinite universe.
Lol... good one! I get how people find threads like "looking for good waldorf schools" through search, but the title of this one was so generic... "moving to sf"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland