Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM

388 posts, read 1,014,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Don't forget North and the Hills, Downtown and the Avenues
Like half of Oakland is East Oakland... North Oakland definitely has its rough areas. Downtown is nothing special. And what are the avenues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,701,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Like half of Oakland is East Oakland... North Oakland definitely has its rough areas. Downtown is nothing special. And what are the avenues?

You say East Oakland as if every neighborhood is a killing field. There's a lot of neighborhoods in East Oakland that are fine. I would know, I used to live in one of them.

And I think the avenues refers to the area between Lakeshore Avenue and Oakland Avenue. I've never heard that term used before in real life though so IDK for sure.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM

223 posts, read 513,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Not true at all. A 1 bedroom apartment runs around $900 in middle class neighborhoods in Oakland. Here's an example:

Cute 1 Bedroom in Laurel District

If it's 500 sf, that would be 1.80 psf, which is a lot closer to the 2 psf I stated, than it is to being a safe and nice area.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,501,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You say East Oakland as if every neighborhood is a killing field. There's a lot of neighborhoods in East Oakland that are fine. I would know, I used to live in one of them.

And I think the avenues refers to the area between Lakeshore Avenue and Oakland Avenue. I've never heard that term used before in real life though so IDK for sure.
My Oakland born and raised Grandmother used the term all the time when telling people where she was from... basically from Havenscourt to San Leandro.

Other East Oakland neighborhoods that are often over looked are Sheffield Village and Grass Valley.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,048,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandyeah View Post

Any suggestions on where to find rentals in Temescal/Rockridge that aren't on Craigslist?
Sadly no, craigslist was founded in the Bay Area and is THE local juggernaut for rental listings. Unlike say LA (where there's Westside Rentals) there aren't really any competitors. Some big corporate landlords will have their own sites with listings, but they'll usually still list those places on craigslist too.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My Oakland born and raised Grandmother used the term all the time when telling people where she was from... basically from Havenscourt to San Leandro.

Other East Oakland neighborhoods that are often over looked are Sheffield Village and Grass Valley.
Oh, at this point people call most of that area Deep East Oakland (or The Deep for short). The area between High Street and Church Street is just East Oakland.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyotsuk View Post
If it's 500 sf, that would be 1.80 psf, which is a lot closer to the 2 psf I stated, than it is to being a safe and nice area.

It didn't say the square footage anywhere on the posting. And Laurel's a fine area.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 AM

4 posts, read 4,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Sadly no, craigslist was founded in the Bay Area and is THE local juggernaut for rental listings. Unlike say LA (where there's Westside Rentals) there aren't really any competitors. Some big corporate landlords will have their own sites with listings, but they'll usually still list those places on craigslist too.
That's a relief, actually, means we have fewer places to look! Yes I was thinking of Westside Rentals, that's how I found a previous place.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, next up is to just show up and start looking in a few months!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 PM

26 posts, read 42,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Oakland is the Europe of the Middle Ages.
No doubt. I live in Old Oakland and bubonic plague is just out of control right now. Thankfully, the Sunday Public Hangings are popular and I believe a new Byzantium-themed restaurant is opening. Unfortunately, the local serfs who will be building the thing are organizing so it might take a generation or two to finish it off (ala Notre Dame).

Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,048,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatton Yeah? View Post
No doubt. I live in Old Oakland and bubonic plague is just out of control right now. Thankfully, the Sunday Public Hangings are popular and I believe a new Byzantium-themed restaurant is opening. Unfortunately, the local serfs who will be building the thing are organizing so it might take a generation or two to finish it off (ala Notre Dame).
Bring out yer dead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland