Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 PM

506 posts, read 1,150,795 times

Advertisements

The crazies may migrate to the Tenderloin, I don't know. But I do know that if they act up in other neighborhoods the police pick them up.

(And then probably drop them off in the Tenderloin.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 PM

388 posts, read 1,013,129 times
I got my iphone stolen in the TL. My friend got his wallet snatched on turk and taylor. The police didn't seem to care. I should have known they don't give a **** by all the drug dealing that goes on in front of the tenderloin police station.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 PM

36,917 posts, read 38,855,782 times
If the Bronx (outside of a few good areas) is your point of reference, especially the Bronx of the past against the Tenderloin as it is now, then I can definitely see why you would wonder what's so bad about the Tenderloin. Considering your other frames of reference, really, the Tenderloin is pretty alright.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 AM

102 posts, read 169,359 times
The Tenderloin is bad because of the human feces and urine on the street. mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-08-2012 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: a bit too graphic, don't you think?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 PM

919 posts, read 1,775,738 times
How bad can any place be where Kerouac and Ginsberg lived? Loin is SF's skid row, every city/town has one. When I went to USF, it was known as Urine Alley. But it isn't any big deal during the day, and L.A.'s skid row is WAY worse. If you want to see bad, and I mean bad, go to Main Street and anything east of that in downtown Los Angeles. Block after block of people sleeping on the street, and I mean, some of the meanest, craziest most low down human beings on the planet. Hell, LAPD won't go to certain places on the Row after midnight. That is a far worse place than the Loin....

Old 12-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Go stand on Turk and Taylor, Ellis and Jones, Eddy and Golden gate and then come back. Certain blocks have less foot traffic so you don't know what kind of people the neighborhood consists of. All the locals congregate on certain blocks. Go spend time on Turk street and come back lol.

edit: Or anywhere on Leavensworth. Never have I ever been offered such a wide variety of drugs until I walked on Leavensworth lol.

I remember it like it was yesterday. "klonopins 1 dollar! Roxies, Methadone!" Not to mention the stolen iphones, puppies, and pants lol.
Back in the day, they had "window panes,' which was acid on cellophane. This would have been back in the 80's, sort of throwback to the 60's. Pretty eye opening for an 18 year old from San Geronimo/Lagunitas....

Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,679,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
How bad can any place be where Kerouac and Ginsberg lived? Loin is SF's skid row, every city/town has one. When I went to USF, it was known as Urine Alley. But it isn't any big deal during the day, and L.A.'s skid row is WAY worse. If you want to see bad, and I mean bad, go to Main Street and anything east of that in downtown Los Angeles. Block after block of people sleeping on the street, and I mean, some of the meanest, craziest most low down human beings on the planet. Hell, LAPD won't go to certain places on the Row after midnight. That is a far worse place than the Loin....

Uh... Have you actually been there? For the brunt of the day the area's dominated by people looking for cheap clothes, electronics and other stuff in the indoor markets. There's a large homeless population but it's pretty tame at this point compared to the Tenderloin.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Uh... Have you actually been there? For the brunt of the day the area's dominated by people looking for cheap clothes, electronics and other stuff in the indoor markets. There's a large homeless population but it's pretty tame at this point compared to the Tenderloin.
Several times. There has been a move to make parts of Main Street into a Theater District, as they've converted some of the big,old bank buildings into stage venues. My wife and I went east late at night, and that's when we saw I would say hundreds if not over a thousand people sleeping/camping on the street. And no, it's not tame, I have no idea where you got that idea. That is one of the worst places in Socal after night. Day is one thing, night is quite another.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,679,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Several times. There has been a move to make parts of Main Street into a Theater District, as they've converted some of the big,old bank buildings into stage venues. My wife and I went east late at night, and that's when we saw I would say hundreds if not over a thousand people sleeping/camping on the street. And no, it's not tame, I have no idea where you got that idea. That is one of the worst places in Socal after night. Day is one thing, night is quite another.

If you're one of the homeless people actually living in Skid Row it's just as bad as the Tenderloin. If you're one of the people going there to shop and you don't live there - there's no reason to be there at night otherwise - it's a lot less unpredictable than the Tenderloin and it's not as dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland