Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 PM

799 posts, read 1,544,047 times

Advertisements

I will preface this by saying I was born and raised in the Bronx and currently spend most of my time between SoCal and New Orleans for work. I was recently on a film shoot in SF and everyone and their mother was telling me the Tenderloin was a "bad" part of town. Honestly, it seemed a little more down market than some of the surrounding neighborhoods, but "bad" it just wasn't-- especially with my frames of reference as stated. Is this really a problem area or is it just one by comparison to the rest of SF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,995,547 times
There is a lot of drug trade in the area, but for the most part I've never felt unsafe in the area compared to West Oakland. Tenderloin is also full of homeless, not exactly dangerous, but you will find feces on the ground, and when it rains... ugh... smells like urine.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:37 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,694,357 times
It sounds like you picked the wrong block. The right block feels OK. But if you pick the wrong one it is an open air drug market. Or more. You have to look out for confrontations with mentally unstable people homeless or not.

But to be honest, the "social services" are concentrated there. So every day walking home would be like walking through Dante's inferno -- you'll see the full range of despair on the streets. I find it depressing and sketchy at the same time.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:41 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
The Tenderloin is a bad area that isn't bad if you just visit. Living there is a different experience. There's the drug thing, some prostitution and property crime, mostly car break ins. And yes there are crazy people there too.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 PM

6,400 posts, read 8,225,777 times
Why is West Oakland being brought up in this thread?

The tenderloin is definitely less safe than West Oakland. It's right in the middle of SF near a lot of touristy areas and it makes it easy for criminals to prey upon clueless tourists. It happens all the time.

Tourists in Oakland don't just stumble upon the dangerous parts of West Oakland while they're on their way to a show or ethnic restaurant, simply because it's a residential district part of the city. Most victims of violent crime in West Oakland know eachother. Totally different types of crime going on...

Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 PM

24,323 posts, read 26,701,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I will preface this by saying I was born and raised in the Bronx and currently spend most of my time between SoCal and New Orleans for work. I was recently on a film shoot in SF and everyone and their mother was telling me the Tenderloin was a "bad" part of town. Honestly, it seemed a little more down market than some of the surrounding neighborhoods, but "bad" it just wasn't-- especially with my frames of reference as stated. Is this really a problem area or is it just one by comparison to the rest of SF?
Tenderloin is just stinky, dirty, and gritty. There are a lot of good and cheap ethnic restaurants, which is why I go to the Loin maybe once a week on average. I never feel unsafe, it just looks and smells gross. There are too many homeless people, drunks and drug addicts. However, they are usually passed out or sitting down talking to each other, so I've never had any bad encounters. Some parts of Tenderloin are better than others too. I have a couple friends that live there and they like it because they are a short walk to Union Square. I wouldn't mind living there if the building had a parking garage. I always worry when I park my car on the street there.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,499,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Why is West Oakland being brought up in this thread?

The tenderloin is definitely less safe than West Oakland. It's right in the middle of SF near a lot of touristy areas and it makes it easy for criminals to prey upon clueless tourists. It happens all the time.

Tourists in Oakland don't just stumble upon the dangerous parts of West Oakland while they're on their way to a show or ethnic restaurant, simply because it's a residential district part of the city. Most victims of violent crime in West Oakland know eachother. Totally different types of crime going on...
Some people just can't help themselves. West Oakland is a residential area with families while the Tenderloin is filled with drug addicts and residential hotels.
To the OP, it's mainly shady by SF standards and the fact it's next to downtown and other central locations while the rest of the more crime-ridden neighborhoods are on the outskirts of the city. It's got a skid row vibe, but it's definitely not the worst hood in SF.

Last edited by Natural510; 12-02-2012 at 10:49 PM..

Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,028,685 times
I used to never really think the TL was all that bad. I'd skirt through areas on the outskirts near Union Square, on Polk, on Market, and it never looked that bad. There's some decent bars and Thai places there, and compared to the Mission parts of it aren't as bad. Plus the apartment exterior architecture there is often stunning, maybe the best in the city.

Around 2007 I was having a tough time finding an apartment and decided to consider places in the TL. I went to a viewing for a place right around the corner from the Hilton. When I got there, there were literally at least 200 homeless guys lounging around all up and down the block. Just on one block. I took a look at the place just out of curiosity, and got the hell out of there. So, it depends on what block you're on, but some blocks are really ****ed up.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:57 PM

24,323 posts, read 26,701,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I used to never really think the TL was all that bad. I'd skirt through areas on the outskirts near Union Square, on Polk, on Market, and it never looked that bad. There's some decent bars and Thai places there, and compared to the Mission parts of it aren't as bad. Plus the apartment exterior architecture there is often stunning, maybe the best in the city.

Around 2007 I was having a tough time finding an apartment and decided to consider places in the TL. I went to a viewing for a place right around the corner from the Hilton. When I got there, there were literally at least 200 homeless guys lounging around all up and down the block. Just on one block. I took a look at the place just out of curiosity, and got the hell out of there. So, it depends on what block you're on, but some blocks are really ****ed up.
Very true!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,839,123 times
The city has wound up concentrating social services for groups such as the mentally ill and substance abusers (as well as just plain homeless) in the Tenderloin because other neighborhoods have had the political power to fight them off.

Mayorhaggar, I'm pretty sure you saw folks waiting to go to Glide Memorial Church, which has made serving the poor and homeless its mission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland