U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 PM

8 posts, read 9,840 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be relocating from Connecticut to work in South San Francisco. My company is shipping my car but I'd like to make use of BART and other transit as much as possible while living in the Bay Area. My girlfriend and I are looking for a place that is:

- 1-bedroom apartment
- Pets allowed (we have a ferret who lives in a pen)
- Within walking distance to a BART station ("walking distance" = 1 mile or less)
- $2200/month or less
- Safe, walkable neighborhood

I'm also a natural bodybuilder so would prefer to live close to a good gym. I'm open to living anywhere in the area, from as south as Fremont and as north as Walnut Creek in the East Bay to anywhere as south as San Bruno.

Craigslist has turned up some OK search results but, not being too familiar with the area, I wanted to ask my future neighbors if they could offer any advice to help my apartment hunt.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to joining you all on the West Coast!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 01:26 PM

26 posts, read 40,886 times
Are you sure having a ferret is legal over here? I can guarantee you that it will make the majority of landlords look at you funny. $2,200 is plenty for a one bedroom. It really depends on what sort of feel you're looking for. And keep Caltrain in mind if you're looking into the Peninsula (don't be worried about going further south of San Bruno). Do you want urban? If so, SF and Oakland. Surburban but with some walkable amenities? San Mateo and Burlingame are good. Berkeley is a good mix between urban and suburban. How do you like your weather? SF, Daly City, Pacifica, HMB are all quite foggy (SF in parts, not all). East Bay is very temperate. The south bay can be quite hot. Likewise with anything further inland (Walnut Creek, et cetera).

Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatton Yeah? View Post
Are you sure having a ferret is legal over here? I can guarantee you that it will make the majority of landlords look at you funny. $2,200 is plenty for a one bedroom. It really depends on what sort of feel you're looking for. And keep Caltrain in mind if you're looking into the Peninsula (don't be worried about going further south of San Bruno). Do you want urban? If so, SF and Oakland. Surburban but with some walkable amenities? San Mateo and Burlingame are good. Berkeley is a good mix between urban and suburban. How do you like your weather? SF, Daly City, Pacifica, HMB are all quite foggy (SF in parts, not all). East Bay is very temperate. The south bay can be quite hot. Likewise with anything further inland (Walnut Creek, et cetera).
The ferret legality was my main concern but I spoke with a building manager and specifically asked if their pet policy included ferrets and I was told "yep, ferrets are cool here." I'm hoping other apartments have the same policies.

I don't have a whole lot of SF experience to even know what I'm looking for as far as neighborhoods, which I guess is a good thing since I'm pretty open to anything. I'm arriving Jan 11th and am taking the week to explore the areas and shop around for what's available. Thanks for the info!!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM

13 posts, read 38,064 times
Ferrets are not legal to own as pets in California, if you landlord says it is okay or not:
Why Ferrets Are Illegal In California

Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM

26 posts, read 40,886 times
Look around Noe Valley and the 24th/Mission area. Both offer BART options (24th Street or Glen Park) and they're both close to 280 which will get you down to SSF in probably like 15 minutes. While some on here might push the fear mongering of the Mission, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can, stay west of Mission and you certainly won't have any problems. The area gets great weather, is super walkable, some of the best food options you'll find anywhere in the country, great nightlife, and has Dolores Park which is a great place for a Saturday afternoon make-fun-of-hipsters session.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Beantown View Post
Ferrets are not legal to own as pets in California, if you landlord says it is okay or not:
Why Ferrets Are Illegal In California
Do you know when this was written? My assumption was also that ferrets were illegal in CA, but I've even found veterinarians in the area who provide services to ferrets and have been told that as long as documentation regarding the animals vaccinations can be provided they're OK. Seems like there's a lot of different info out there and I'm not out to cause trouble, so anymore insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatton Yeah? View Post
Look around Noe Valley and the 24th/Mission area. Both offer BART options (24th Street or Glen Park) and they're both close to 280 which will get you down to SSF in probably like 15 minutes. While some on here might push the fear mongering of the Mission, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can, stay west of Mission and you certainly won't have any problems. The area gets great weather, is super walkable, some of the best food options you'll find anywhere in the country, great nightlife, and has Dolores Park which is a great place for a Saturday afternoon make-fun-of-hipsters session.
Awesome appreciate your response

Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,859,394 times
Check the California .gov sites for accurate info on the ferret issue.

DFG - Nongame Wildlife Program - Invasive, Nuisance and Exotic Species - Ferret

Old 12-07-2012, 06:34 PM

6,170 posts, read 7,760,992 times
Ferrets freak me out. I don't think I could handle a pet that could easily crawl up my pant leg

Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 PM

24,155 posts, read 24,732,125 times
This site has good info on ferrets,

Legalize Ferrets // You can help legalize ferrets in California

Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 PM

5,242 posts, read 12,640,929 times
Landlords in the Bay Area are very anti-pet, it's almost impossible to get a place that allows a cat or dog, especially in competitive markets like San Francisco. Ferrets are notoriously smelly and I guess they're not exactly legal. Good luck but don't be surprised if you have to give up the ferret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland