Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 AM

272 posts, read 783,933 times

Advertisements

Ho hum....The city can't be anymore diminished than it already is....by "top" quality east-coast ivy-leaguers....'tech savvy'...individuals who migrate here to enjoy living in just that type of endlessly hyped 'atmosphere' that San Francisco self-promotes with such aplomb.
Honestly the 'bay area' was neat in 1964....after that it all started going down hill.
What once made the place fascinating was the true diversity [as opposed to the pseudo-"diversity" we have now] that could be found.
Back then you could find…...Artists...Poets...GI's...Carpenters...Sail ors...Welders...Marines...Engineers..Merchant Mariners.....etc etc...What’s left is only the aura of ‘cool’ and hip….Ahhh….but that still SELLS!!!
Now...it's the kingdom of self-absorbed 'intellectual' whiney snobs and the hoards of 'others' that mow lawns and lube cars....
And politically....the S.F. bay area is THE center of the whirling vortex of the lost left.....Middle of the road here is equivalent to extreme fascist right....."American"...is a completely ignored concept....Only far far left is 'normal'....there you are either a communist [with us] or a fascist [one of 'them'].....oh well….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 PM

45 posts, read 71,732 times
Quote, NYC:
Dining - Nothing in America compares with NYC's food..hands down.

Im not nocking NYC but sorry dude Chicago puts every bit to NYC in food.

We are the first to discover the coffee shop experience and Pizza hands down.

Even Boby Fley from Food Network said Chicago has NYC beat in certain food and NYC has us beat in certain foods.

You can't get a italian beef anywhere in this coutry expect for Chicago.

Sf in my brothers eyes is a night life town for those hanging out at 2am and NYC is just pure shopping and finance.

I give SF 3 starts NYC 2 stars and Chicago 4 stars.

But love both cities for there offerings.

SF is very gorgeous when looking at moutains but so is Denver.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:16 AM

3 posts, read 10,572 times
Red face San Francisco vs. NYC

PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY AND IF YOU DOUBT, GET A MAP!!!
SUNNYVALE IS NOT SAN FRANCISCO IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM...

IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE BETWEEN SUNNYVALE AND NEW YORK CITY, TAKE NYC FOR THE EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCES AND WORLD CLASS EVERTHING THAT IT HAS TO OFFER...

I AM BORN AND BRED IN THE S.F. BAY AREA AND I CAN SAY THAT HONESTLY,HAVING SPENT MUCH TIME IN N.Y. AND LIVING ON EAST COAST 13 YRS. (CA. PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE AT AN ALL TIME LOW )SCHOOL CHILDREN IN NYC REGULARLY GO TO MUSEUMS,PLAYS,HISTORICAL SITES AND CULTURAL EVENTS.

THE HOUSING COSTS IN SUNNYVALE ARE NEAR TO S.F. AND N.Y.C. BUT PLEASE KEEP IN MIND...SUNNYVALE IS NOT SAN FRANCISCO IN THE LEAST BIT!! BY THE WAY, GASOLINE IS ABOUT THREE DOLLARS A GALLON HERE IN CALIF. somedays more< somedays less> AN AUTOMOBILE IS AN ABSOLUTE NECESSITY IN CALIFORNIA, THAT IS, UNLESS YOU LIVE IN THE ACTUAL CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO AND CAN USE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION ALL OF THE TIME...IN NYC A CAR CAN BE A LIABILITY...IT ACTUALLY COSTS LESS TO RENT ONE FOR OUT OF TOWN JAUNTS. REMEMBER, THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT SUNNYVALE IS NOT IN ANY WAY THE SAME AS SAN FRANCISCO...NOT LIKE BROOKLYN AND NYC OR QUEENS....HOPE THIS HAS HELPED.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:45 PM

36 posts, read 168,955 times
Remember when you move to the NYC suburbs you're looking at a 1 hour + commute each way. More if you want a bigger house with more land. And no on $200K you will have your pick, you will be solidly middle class. I don't know what your commute would be in Sunnyvale so I can't compare, but just wanted to point this out about NYC. If like most NYers you work late, that extra time can be very painful.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 PM

36,652 posts, read 67,428,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Remember when you move to the NYC suburbs you're looking at a 1 hour + commute each way. More if you want a bigger house with more land. And no on $200K you will have your pick, you will be solidly middle class. I don't know what your commute would be in Sunnyvale so I can't compare, but just wanted to point this out about NYC. If like most NYers you work late, that extra time can be very painful.
Sunnyvale to San Francisco would be excrutiating. A few weeks ago I drove from Saratoga to Berkeley and let me just say I left at 530pm and didnt arrive in Berkeley till 8pm-that's hideous.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 PM

227 posts, read 1,356,246 times
Manhatten is the best to visit, go on a date, party with friends, or just hang out. But whenever i'm there for too long i start to feel like Snake Pliskin and find myself wanting to escape.

It is a rat race city. It's the best place to live if you're rich and probably the worst if you're poor. I wouldn't want to live in the city.

NJ is nice but it's crazy here. To own a house you have to be filthy rich. It's not just owning the house, its the car payments and highest auto insurance in the country. Taxes are high.

The entire area has a huge cost. It's a great place. It's like a big playground. Nice beaches, mountains, lakes, ski resorts, NYC, richest suburbs. NJ has it all. The only cache is you have a lot of stress to deal with.

I hear the bay area is so much less stressful than the tri-state area...and it seems like just as much as a playground as NYC

Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,799 times
I think it depends on where you are from originally. I am from SF and moved to NYC. Coming from SF, I think that NYC is very rough around the edges and I have never really adjusted to it. But I have also heard of people moving to SF who were from NYC and missed the noise and roughness of NYC. I think it just depends on your background... Good luck!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:09 PM

99 posts, read 349,645 times
Wow, this is a great thread to read. My husband and I are currently deciding where to move to ... NY, SF or Chicago. Will be moving from London so any of these places will be better. We are used to high prices, bad weather and high crime rates so nothing will come as a shock to us!

My husband is a police officer.... which city would be best to police in? Ok, I know there's crime everywhere..... Ha!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:52 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,990,160 times
Unless you are really that "type", NYC is not the kind of place someone who isn't a New Yorker can live forever and definitely not as family friendly. It is true that it is the most cultural place and living there can be eye opening ( I lived there for 15 months) it is the kind of place that can really wear you down. You mentioned you wanted to live in West Village for a year (West Village is a lovely choice BTW) and then move to Westchester. The commute is actually quite terrible coming in and to the suburbs from Manhattan. I've met plenty of guys with a family and a home in the suburbs but have to commute 1.5 - 2 hours one way by subway or car. Also, you won't feel like you are making $200 K there... $200 K probably feels like $100K because of the cost of living. A studio in Manhattan costs $700,000 already. The weather is horrible too...

I recommend San Francisco because it is cultural too and comparable to NYC, but the weather and cost of living is better. You probably will be able to feel your $200K as opposed to NYC. It is beautiful, great for families and is the kind of place you can live forever- it doesn't tear you down and the people are so much nicer.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:23 PM

161 posts, read 696,589 times
I love NYC with a passion. I am from boston and my sis lives in Brooklyn so I visit 3-5 times a year. I personally couldn' tlast in NYC for more than a few months at a time. That being said, I think NYC is harder to move away from to. SF sounds like a good move for what you are looking for. I am moving to the bay later this year and can't shake the feeling it will be difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
SF vs NYC - please help-12-12-ork.jpg   SF vs NYC - please help-brooklyn2.jpg  

Last edited by wenzit420; 02-27-2008 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: ABC's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland