Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM

207 posts, read 698,337 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. If so, is it anything like the one in Los Angeles and the surrounding area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,957,501 times
Why not just ask about "Gangs" and not specify one particular group. Do you seriously think Blacks are the ONLY one's in a gang?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 AM

207 posts, read 698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why not just ask about "Gangs" and not specify one particular group. Do you seriously think Blacks are the ONLY one's in a gang?
no, I'm asking this because on these forums I'm only hearing that it's latino gangs causing the violence

Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,995,372 times
I definitely think there are plenty of black gangs in Oakland. Heavily involved in drug trade.

Of course, some people here think it's only 2-3 people in "turfs". Whatever that means.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,497,538 times
What do you mean "still"? There never was a black gang problem in Oakland, only crews surrounding the drug trade. The LA dynamic never made it up north.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,673,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I definitely think there are plenty of black gangs in Oakland. Heavily involved in drug trade.

Of course, some people here think it's only 2-3 people in "turfs". Whatever that means.
You have a habit of twisting the words of those you disagree with. Here's what I actually said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
No, not at all. Gang activity is about expanding the reach and drug territory of a gang as far as possible and pushing other gangs out. There are only three significant gangs in Oakland and they are all latino; everything else is not a gang and what's more they do not function like gangs. Some of the outcomes are the same - in both cases many die over drug money and revenge - but the actual experience of living on the ground in Oakland as a black male is nowhere near the same as what the experience of a latino male living in Oakland is. Gangs try to make names for themselves by killing as many rival gang members as possible and the violence can often have nothing to do with money or drug territory... Turfs are concerned first and foremost about money. If you aren't negatively affecting their income, they don't have a problem with you nor do they care. Outside of that, most of the violence is personal disputes over girls and etc... Sometimes the media erroneously jumps to conclusions about "erupting turf wars" when really it's between at most 2 or 3 people.
What I actually said was that the killings are generally over personal or business disputes between 2-3 people, not that most of the groups themselves are 2-3 people.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM

That's how almost ALL disputes are. The Castellamarese War was a dispute between Masseria , and ONE guy from Sicily. It ended up with dozens of people dead. If that was your point, you really didn't have much of a point with the 2-3 people disputes. That's like 99% of disputes.

Just admit that you're trying to mince words with the term "gangs" and "crews", which by even your own definition is the exact same thing.

The fact is Oakland has a huge gang problem.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:19 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,673,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
That's how almost ALL disputes are. The Castellamarese War was a dispute between Masseria , and ONE guy from Sicily. It ended up with dozens of people dead. If that was your point, you really didn't have much of a point with the 2-3 people disputes. That's like 99% of disputes.

Just admit that you're trying to mince words with the term "gangs" and "crews", which by even your own definition is the exact same thing.

The fact is Oakland has a huge gang problem.

False once again. The difference between targeted crime somewhere like Chicago (gang city) and Oakland (turf city) is that in Chicago, you can get killed in a gang neighborhood for not being recognized and possibly being a rival gang member; they don't even necessarily know you. I on the other hand can walk through any Oakland neighborhood and me not being from there isn't an issue; I get respect because I show it. If I was in one of the local groups this wouldn't be the case, but for the truly uninvolved Oakland is a much safer place to wander around as a black male than Chicago or Los Angeles or any other gang city.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
you can get killed in a gang neighborhood for not being recognized and possibly being a rival gang member;
So you walk past Nortenos gang members hanging out in the street without getting hassled or getting beat up?

Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM

587 posts, read 1,403,922 times
In terms of Black folks, the Bay Area is not aligned with true gang culture. In fact, the Black populations in most big cities aren't aligned with gang culture on the level of Chicago or L.A. DC, New Orleans and Philadelphia all don't historically have a large presence of large name brand gangs. In Chicago and L.A., there is endless recruitment, rules and hierarchy involved in the gangs. The "turfs" in the Bay Area are mostly a loose association of childhood friends who grew up together. However, in San Francisco in the 80's and 90's, the back and forth violence between rivaling neighborhoods could be accurately described as gang violence. Different neighborhoods wore different clothing identifiers (i.e. Lakeview wore UNLV apparel and Sunnydale wore San Diego Padres apparel). However, the difference between San Francisco turf crews and L.A./Chicago gangs is that there was no getting jumped in or recruitment involved. You were born in a neighborhood, you are from there. But in all honesty, the turf gangs are not all that different from Chicago/L.A. gangs. It is kids from one poor ghetto neighborhood killing kids from another poor ghetto neighborhood across town over a dumb petty beef from sometimes decades ago that no one remembers the origins. Sadly, a huge amount of youth violence killings between different neighborhoods has nothing to do with drugs or money, but has to do with vengeance for the death of fallen friends and beef over words. And you could definitely get killed in SF being a young Black kid wearing an SD hat or UNLV jersey in the wrong part of town; especially in the late 80's and early 90's. Is that really different than getting killed over a color? No.

But I do agree with Nineties that cities that are less gang oriented have much less random acts of violence based on arbitrary things like clothing identifiers. Although different Black neighborhoods in the Bay have their clothing identifiers of often obscure sports teams, it is nothing on the level of L.A. where, historically, you can be killed over as much as wearing red or blue as a young Black male or Chicago where damn near every major sports logo is tied to a major gang:

http://www.complex.com/sports/2010/0...hats-in-sports

Black turf crews in the Bay Area have always been more oriented towards getting money by selling drugs than anything else.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 12-10-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland