Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:13 PM

46 posts, read 171,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I agree. I had some unique skills that were heavy in demand so I was paid more than other software engineers. I don't know where the OP is getting his info but he may be in for a rude awakening.
I will not be moving to SV if I am not going to make "comparable" salary for high Cost of living. I will then stay put wherever I am and continue to seek.

But I think one of the poster said I should ask for 75% more than my current pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastIndian View Post
I will not be moving to SV if I am not going to make "comparable" salary for high Cost of living. I will then stay put wherever I am and continue to seek.

But I think one of the poster said I should ask for 75% more than my current pay.
In my company (a large software company), we only pay about a 18-20% differential (as compared to most of the rest of the country) to account for the difference in the COL. I would not expect a company to give you a 75% bump to come to the Bay Area.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,279 times
Quote:
Actually what the previous poster said was you should check the salary websites for info and negotiate at the 75th percentile.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
In my company (a large software company), we only pay about a 18-20% differential (as compared to most of the rest of the country) to account for the difference in the COL. I would not expect a company to give you a 75% bump to come to the Bay Area.
That sounds more reasonable. I would hope 18-20% will account for COL increase

Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Actually what the previous poster said was you should check the salary websites for info and negotiate at the 75th percentile.
oh..ok..I think I totally messed the interpretation.
Thanks for clarifying.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,778,399 times
Quote:

I don't know what your current salary is but $150K is a very good salary for SV. You said that $250K is your combined income for you and your wife.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,778,399 times
Quote:

I don't know what your current salary is but $150K is a pretty good salary for SV. You said that $250K is your combined income for you and your wife. There are companies that pay over 200K salaries for Software Engineers in SV. Here is a pretty good link to look at for individual companies in SV.

Software Engineer Salary in San Jose | Glassdoor

Old 12-18-2012, 08:12 PM

224 posts, read 454,771 times
Quote:
I have since retired and living the good life here in the Temecula Valley. The $150K salary was just for me as my wife didn't work outside our home. That was in 2000 or 12 years ago which was the last perm job I had. After that I chose to go back to contracting all in Silicon Valley. In 2001, I made $457K contracting but that was working a lot of hours. I think you will be in for a shock if you think that salaries for an applications Software Engineer are higher than $150K.
Holy ****! Almost half a mil a year contracting? Please tell me how you did that and how I can do the same, here is a related thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...ants-here.html

Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I don't know what your current salary is but $150K is a pretty good salary for SV. You said that $250K is your combined income for you and your wife. There are companies that pay over 200K salaries for Software Engineers in SV. Here is a pretty good link to look at for individual companies in SV.

Software Engineer Salary in San Jose | Glassdoor
Yes..I have visited that site for a general idea. Thanks though

Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 PM

224 posts, read 454,771 times
Quote:
ok..thanks for doing the math on my part. There no other major expenses that I see..other than buying pay-per-view movies ($10 bucks a month) and video games (may be another $100 per year), I think I have listed all major expenses. Now, the point to less savings as of now, lost lot of money on Apple options (when it went to 700 and fell), though that is a totally different discussion, that loss was huge (well lets not quantify that) and it left a physical/moral/psychological dent on our savings. (well..no one else to blame)

Other than that, so based on all your reviews/comments, it appears, if we can make the same $250K in SV, then we should be just fine?

Except for rent, all other expenses seem to be on par with my current location.

Thank you all.
The key is the dual incomes, which creates the 250k a year. 250k a year with 2 kids in Silicon Valley will be fine, just maybe not in SF. Leave behind that Brewster's Millions lifestyle, be sensible with your dough, and you all should make out well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland