Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 51,962 times

Advertisements

This is always my first go-to source for dilemmas like these so here it goes:
  • Possible move from Chicago (Uptown) to new job in Foster City
  • Family w/ 1 elementary school aged child + 1 toddler
  • Need your help in prioritizing which communities to focus deeper dive research into
  • Priority: best public school district (preferably elementary all the way thru to HS)
  • Other priority: commute within 30-45 minutes from Foster City
  • Other priority: affordable 3BR townhome for sale at $600,000 OR for same for rent for up to $3500 per month
  • Preference but not necessarily priority: love urban living, walkable, lively downtown with restaurants, cafes, etc.
Other questions:
  • Tax breakdown... what gets taken out of my paycheck? what's the reality of real estate tax?
  • Likelihood of surviving this on one income (roughly $200K)?
  • Other high costs that I may have overlooked- medical, groceries, etc.?
Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Three cities on the peninsula, within a short drive to Foster City, have very good school districts elementary through high school - Millbrae, Burlingame and Belmont. Millbrae leans towards an asian culture (which you may or may not be interested in) while Burlingame has two very lively downtown areas. I'm sure someone else will add information for Belmont. You will not find a 3br townhouse/condo/home in those areas for $600,000, but you can rent a 3br home/condo for just under $3500.

And you can get along just fine on $200,000.

Last edited by twins4lynn; 12-21-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 03:11 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Three cities on the peninsula, within a short drive to Foster City, have very good school districts elementary through high school - Millbrae, Burlingame and Belmont. Millbrae leans towards an asian culture (which you may or may not be interested in) while Burlingame has two very lively downtown areas. I'm sure someone else will add information for Belmont. You will not find a 3br townhouse/condo/home in those areas for $600,000, but you can rent a 3br home/condo for just under $3500.

And you can get along just fine on $200,000.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:16 PM

370 posts, read 862,701 times
Burlingame, which had the most "vibrant" dowtown area is probably out of reach for your budget, especially the walkable areas near downtown.

Millbrae had a decent downtown but its heavily asian or Senior oriented. Again not sure about your budget ,but its less expensive than Burlingame.

Belmont is probably going to be less expensive than Millbrae, but doesnt have much of a vibrant downtown area. You could also consider Redwood City, San Carlos, or San Mateo.

Again for your budget you can probably find a place but its not going to be walkable. You will probably be car dependent to drive to any lively downtown area..

Also, in terms of budget I mean your rental budget. I dont think you will have great options at $600K for a 3 br townhouse in those areas.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:49 PM

702 posts, read 953,548 times
If you don't want your kids to resent you for raising them in a lifeless place with one street for a downtown, choose Redwood City or San Mateo.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Here's a pretty nice interactive map of the Burlingame Avenue stores and restaurants Burlingame Downtown Interactive Map

Couldn't find anything similar for Burlingame's Broadway downtown (which is smaller).

Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 PM

102 posts, read 170,087 times
I think you should consider the the Baywood or Aragon areas of San Mateo. You have good schools (Baywood Elementary, Borel Middle, Aragon High) and you'll be walking distance to the largest downtown on the Peninsula. I'd also consider Burlingame, which has great schools and a smaller but ritzier downtown. These areas are known mostly for gorgeous pre-war homes however, not really townhouses, but you might find something. Those would be my picks given your criteria.

Last edited by wave9x; 12-21-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland