Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 03:40 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Honestly, if certain cheerleaders would use self restraint and not post on threads they don't want to discuss, it would create a much more constructive discussion. The reason why similar questions keep popping up is because the threads turn to ****. The same people constantly derail the thread because they don't want to discuss the topic nor allow anyone else to discuss it. You don't have to comment on EVERY thread. If you don't want to discuss what Oakland can do to lower its crime rate or discuss why it's not getting better, than don't reply! It's as simple as that. It's alarming that while Oakland's economy and development are improving, the crime rate is rising immensely. This is a good and difficult discussion to be made. Here is the news video about the consultant Oakland hired.

Oakland dead: 2 men shot, woman stabbed - SFGate
Yawns...

Old 12-28-2012, 03:40 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugocracy View Post
Belief Perseverance. Good way to some up this recurring phenomenon we keep witnessing around this issue.

I have a friend from Alabama who moved in with me in the Mission a while ago. His entire idea of the Bay was shaped by ridiculous media stereotypes. He took Chappelle's performance in San Francisco to be gospel (the one where he's like "I know why ya'll have such a nice city. Because ya'll keep all the n1ggas over on the other side of that bridge").

The crazy part was, he was living somewhere where he'd see crazy things happening every day but just kept insisting that Oakland was the bad one, San Francisco was the good one. One day there was a shooting in front of our house that another friend got caught right in the middle of (we saw him outside running and told him to come inside) and this kid still insisted that San Francisco was soft.

What finally changed his mind was actually a really mundane situation, but since it happened to him I guess it resonated more. One day a couple months ago he was walking down Mission St and some kids got in his face for no reason, talked crazy for a minute, and let him go on about his day. Just typical everyday drama but since HE was the target for a brief second, he decided to change his whole outlook on San Francisco.
Isn't this exactly against everything you are saying? Some kid yelled at him for a few seconds on the street and now he thinks SF is just as bad as Oakland? Ridiculous isn't it?

Old 12-28-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns...
What's the point of posting the picture of Candlestick Park? Are you still HAHHHAHAHAHA at the people who live there?

Using the bad part of SF to defend the crimes of Oakland again?

Old 12-28-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
What's the point of posting the picture of Candlestick Park? Are you still HAHHHAHAHAHA at the people who live there?
Clearly there are enough issues on either side of the Bay that its a wonder people have time to even look at what's happening elsewhere...and unfortunately for the egos of glass-house dwellers in SF, their city is no different.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Clearly there are enough issues on either side of the Bay that its a wonder people have time to even look at what's happening elsewhere...and unfortunately for the egos of glass-house dwellers in SF, their city is no different.

Who are the SF crime deniers (glass-house dwellers) here? Seems like only the OP.
Who are the Oakland boasters here? You answer.
The cities are plenty different in terms of homicide rate per capita.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the community's open support of violence and criminal behavior and seething hostility towards the police.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
The cities are plenty different in terms of homicide rate per capita.
And yet despite SF having a higher crime rate than LA and NY, Im sure youd have no problem telling people that crime doesnt really affect most people in SF?

LMAO....ironic how some refuse to afford Oakland the same courtesy. Yawns.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
And yet despite SF having a higher crime rate than LA and NY, you have no problem telling people that crime doesnt really affect most people in SF?

Show me where I said that? Please do.

I would not wander into the TL, Sunnydale, western edition, etc etc just like I wouldn't wander deep into International blvd.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
And yet despite SF having a higher crime rate than LA and NY, Im sure youd have no problem telling people that crime doesnt really affect most people in SF?

Ummmm actually no... compared to my second home in Wasilla, AK and my previous home in Boca Raton, FL... I'd say San Francisco is a lot more dangerous than both cities.

Oakland cheerleaders like to think Oakland is nothing but candy canes and unicorns. Tell people living in West Oakland or East Oakland crime doesn't effect them or their businesses.

Until you stop derailing threads, these types of threads will never end

Old 12-28-2012, 04:05 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the community's open support of violence and criminal behavior and seething hostility towards the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland