Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 03:01 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Yeah. The homicide RATE is more telling than the totals.
That is quite important. Some people have a hard time conceiving why San Francisco, which has fewer Blacks than Oakland and a lower murder rate, has a much higher murder rate among Blacks. Some people might believe that it would be quite ironic considering the large drop in San Francisco's Black population. I don't think it is so ironic because the way I see it, the reason could be that large numbers of San Francisco's Black middle class have left. I don't know for sure. I'm just presenting a theory.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is quite important. Some people have a hard time conceiving why San Francisco, which has fewer Blacks than Oakland and a lower murder rate, has a much higher murder rate among Blacks. Some people might believe that it would be quite ironic considering the large drop in San Francisco's Black population. I don't think it is so ironic because the way I see it, the reason could be that large numbers of San Francisco's Black middle class have left. I don't know for sure. I'm just presenting a theory.
Pretty much. Oakland only has a shred of middle class blacks left. Most of them have either moved to another Bay Area city, or moved completely out of state (Atlanta, etc).

Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, the group that has been perpetually victimzed by a social, economic and political infrastructure set up for the simultaneous advancement of white men and suppression of every one else.

So you cant stomp all over an entire people and treat them like subhumans for centuries and then pretend to be surprised that many struggle to break free from the shackles that YOUR people put on them in the first place.

If I were a White American, Id be too embarrased and ashamed to open my mouth about other races, if for no other reason than because of how Whites terrorized everyone else for most of our history.

But then, some people have no shame.
I'm Black. I mentioned the number of Blacks in Oakland and Chicago to put the murder rate in perspective. It is about murders per 100,000. I am quite aware of what has been done to Black people, as I'm Black and I have family members for whom things have been done to.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 PM

11 posts, read 12,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Vandersmith View Post
Oakland is a city that is heavily Anti White. I've noticed this from my past year of living here.
What? I dont think you live here.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Vandersmith View Post
Oakland is a city that is heavily Anti White. I've noticed this from my past year of living here.
That is an interesting thought since that most people are white (there is not a white majority) in Oakland and it has been getting whiter in recent years....

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm Black. I mentioned the number of Blacks in Oakland and Chicago to put the murder rate in perspective. It is about murders per 100,000. I am quite aware of what has been done to Black people, as I'm Black and I have family members for whom things have been done to.
Furthermore, in a capitalist, free market society, not everyone is going to be rich or even middle class, so if your last to recieve opportunities then chances are, your going to reap the benefits from those opportunities last as well.

Which is why I found it ridiculous that you would instantly bring up the Black populations of Chicago and Oakland as the reason that explains their homicide rates.

That's simplistic and tosses a blanket generalization over an entire group of people based on their race.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Furthermore, in a capitalist, free market society, not everyone is going to be rich or even middle class, so if your last to recieve opportunities then chances are, your going to reap the benefits from those opportunities last as well.

Which is why I found it ridiculous that you would instantly bring up the Black populations of Chicago and Oakland as the reason that explains their homicide rates.

That's simplistic and tosses a blanket generalization over an entire group of people based on their race.
But this was the thing. It was not my intention to explain the causes. I know about the causes. The point you are missing was that I was talking about how statistical data works. The person was curious as to why Chicago had a lower Black murder rate than Oakland, despite having 500 murders or more. I explained that it was calculated based on MURDERS per 100,000. Chicago might have more murders, but Chicago has 2.69 million people. Oakland has 391,445 people. Chicago has a larger population in relation to the number of murders, so the murder rate in Chicago is going to be lower than Oakland. That is what I was trying to explain.

As far as why there is so much violence, and the things that have been done to Black people, that is a different discussion, and if you want to discuss that with me, it would be better to discuss it separate from the discussion I was having.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM

Oakland has more murders per capita because it has a culture of crime, we discussed this 10 pages back. Whatever the fix is, it's not going to be quick, and you can't just throw money at it.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM

Interesting op-ed from a "middle class" Oakland Resident.

Quote:
An underlying fear of crime is a constant with my Oakland actions. Before I depart in the morning, I peer out my living room window, making sure my car hasn't been stolen during the night. When I exit my home, I take a cautionary look around, as I know it's prudent to be certain that no one is lying in wait. And when I come home at a dark hour, I case my own block with apprehension and exit my car with astute caution.
Middle Class Man Admits: 'I Am Scared To Live In Oakland': SFist

Doesn't sound like this guy is enjoying living in Oakland at all.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Interesting op-ed from a "middle class" Oakland Resident.

Middle Class Man Admits: 'I Am Scared To Live In Oakland': SFist

Doesn't sound like this guy is enjoying living in Oakland at all.

1. The author is a criminal defense and civil litigation lawyer. Even if he's a failure in his job, he often makes over $100/hr in his profession. In fact, the author, Mark Cohen, is an advisor to Quan. (Fremont Personal Injury Lawyer | Newark CA Business Law Attorney | Union City California) Something tells me he does pretty well for himself. Does anyone actually believe that he lives anywhere near where that photograph was taken? Though I don't know where exactly he's choosing to live, he's either a) not being honest, b) doesn't have to live in a low-class neighborhood and instead, should try an actual middle class neighborhood, or c) should be put in a mental home.

2. That's not an accurate representation of a middle class neighborhood in Oakland, CA.

3. His description of his daily chore as he "cases his own block" and "checks to see if his car was stolen every morning" isn't an accurate representation of the duties of the middle class in Oakland, CA.

4. Inevitably, we see the point of his article, which has less to do with Oakland, CA, and more to do with achieving a platform on which to market himself and his ideas. Afterall, he has political aspirations as one of Quan's advisors and probably has much higher aspirations within the community.

Reading articles like this doesn't let you understand Oakland, CA any more than you thought you did before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland