Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:35 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times

Advertisements

I don't know but the cops in Oakland seem a bit scary. 9 years and still haven't complied with a court order and may go into Federal recievership.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Go visit the Tenderloin or Bayview/Hunter's Point and come back and tell us what you think. Crime in SF is on the local news all the time...home invasions, homicides, violent armed robberies, extreme rioting in the streets after the Giants won the World Series...etc.

I'm not trying to call you out, but I just think you're coming across as somebody who isn't familiar with the city at all and don't really know what you're talking about. Tourism is a major part of SF's economy, so SF wants to maintain a certain image. Locals know different though. It's actually easier to avoid the ghetto in Oakland than it can be in SF. SF's blocks vary greatly and somebody unfamiliar with the city could easily end up in a bad part of town by mistake. It's much easier to avoid Oakland's bad areas.

You probably won't find these images on any San Francisco travel website...

Sunnydale

Tenderloin
Interesting. I'd have different expectations of an area named "tenderloin" in San Francisco.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the opinion of non resident outsiders like me does not count. when the people of the community think there is something wrong it will get better and not before.
You clearly haven't been to an Oakland City Council meeting. Every week public safety issues dominate public comment, whether they're on the agenda or not. You hear a lot of desperation and pain from East Oakland, people flailing about. Everybody in Oakland knows there's a problem, they just don't know solutions, and don't want to be told that all their children are evil.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daisy View Post
San francisco's crime is never mentioned and i never see it when i go up there. So to compare it to oakland is a little extreme
You are visiting a very limited subset of San Francisco neighborhoods, and flat out ignoring the crime right in the middle of or adjacent to the popular destinations (i.e. Mission, SOMA, Tenderloin are top of mind here).

Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Why are you recommending me go out of my way to visit slum area's of SF to prove that SF is like Oakland? Obviously it's not. Tourist want to go to SF not Oakland. I used to own a home in Marin, I'm well aware of SF's higher crime area's. They are NOTHING like Oakland.

I'd also like to add, Oakland is majority lower income and run down. SF has tiny pockets you have to go out of your way to get to. Oakland has huge large flat area's of impoverished crime filled area's. With pockets of decent ones, it's the opposite of SF in that regard.
Your entire premise is mistaken. You should take a look at the stickied thread for Oakland pics to get an idea of what it actually looks like.

Yes, Oakland has a crime problem. That is not the only story about Oakland that exists, there are tons of middle class and upper class areas as well. Oakland is not a tourist destination. Neither is Marin or Tiburon or Palo Alto or Walnut Creek or Pleasanton. Number of tourists give you there info on the quality of life for an average resident, and is a baseless in terms of determining the worth of a city.

You clearly haven't spent any time in SFs high crime areas, they are exactly like Oakland's bur probably have more homeless people. There is absolutely no difference in these areas in terms of institutionalized poverty and blight. The only difference might be slight different proportions of each ethnic group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the opinion of non resident outsiders like me does not count. when the people of the community think there is something wrong it will get better and not before.
Where do you get the idea that people in the community do not think there is a problem? Like you said, you are an outsider, so how familiar with the thoughts and feelings of Oaklanders can you be?

Old 12-27-2012, 04:44 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
Quote:
One would think the locals would get fed up with this way of living. Not being able to go outside etc.
One would also be wrong to believe "this way of living" is a reality for all locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
So, not surprisingly Oakland has a higher crime rate. It's been pointed out that if somewhow Oakland could annex its neighbors (San Leandro, Berkeley etc.) then, poof "Oakland" would have a lower crime rate. But the reality in the impacted neighborhoods wouldn't change at all.
Exactly. Geographical happenstance affects violent crime rates, which means violent crime rates can increases/decrease by something that has nothing to do with violent crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Will the Oakland cheerleaders
Try Oaklanders...

Quote:
Virtually all of oakland is high crime and unsafe. Outside of a few tiny square blocks.
Oakland can be divided into 58 community police beats. Lets look at the "safest" and "most violent" beats.

13y - 5 violent crimes
23x - 308 violent crimes

13y has 98% less violent crime than 23x but is 10-12 times bigger in size.

The Top 10 "most violent" beats are a fraction of the size of the Top 10 "safest" beats.

In fact, the Top 10 "most violent" beats can fit entirely into the City of Alameda*, with plenty of space leftover. And while 3 of the Top 10 "safest" beats will be more than enough to completely swallow the City of Alameda.

*excluding Bay Farm Island

Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Quote:
Why are you recommending me go out of my way to visit slum area's of SF to prove that SF is like Oakland? Obviously it's not. Tourist want to go to SF not Oakland. I used to own a home in Marin, I'm well aware of SF's higher crime area's. They are NOTHING like Oakland.

I'd also like to add, Oakland is majority lower income and run down. SF has tiny pockets you have to go out of your way to get to. Oakland has huge large flat area's of impoverished crime filled area's. With pockets of decent ones, it's the opposite of SF in that regard
How on earth would you know this without having been anywhere outside the touristy areas of SF?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 AM

12 posts, read 18,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
How on earth would you know this without having been anywhere outside the touristy areas of SF?
I owned property in Marin. I know the area pretty well, i just didn't venture there for no reason.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:07 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Someone from Oakland calling San Francisco a crime ridden place is like an obese person calling an average sized person fat. It's quite hilarious lol.
Well it is hilarious, cause I feel much safer in my part of Oakland than in the scary, desolate part of SF you live in.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
I owned property in Marin. I know the area pretty well, i just didn't venture there for no reason.
'
So many "Marin property owners" seem to have something to say about Oakland on city-data...coincidence I s'ppose. LMAO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland