Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 PM

31 posts, read 60,474 times

Advertisements

For the non-supporters of stop and frisk, what measures do you recommend the city do to curb the obscene increase in the homicide rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:30 PM

[quote=jade408;27648432]If S&F was actually working, the rate of increase of weapons found and arrests would be congruent with the rise in number of stops. quote]

Perhaps fewer people are now carrying weapons in NYC since they realize they may be frisked and there weapon confiscated?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistynights View Post
For the non-supporters of stop and frisk, what measures do you recommend the city do to curb the obscene increase in the homicide rate?
I believe you should read what Gentoo had to say about this:

Quote:
I strongly believe it can after seeing it happen there. What SD did was have an operation red rag and blue rag. In Oakland of course, it's a little different. The main difference is, in SD it became illegal to carry a colored bandanna. Then, the most violent members of a gang were locked up for a very long time when arrested again, causing disruption in normal gang activity leading to the eventual decline. Oakland could do this second part and yes, there was cooperation in SD with other agencies as well. Oakland also has the advantage of having other city departments cooperate with them more than you see in most other metros. This is much more accepted over targeting a certain stereotype. Target the known members.
And what I said in addition:

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. Target the gang members. Don't target the race. Targeting the race will only anger people, and foster more distrust for the police. However, if communities and the police can come together, and target the gang members, then things can get better.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Green: I completely agree with your post, but how would the OPD be able to identify the gang members?

I sure hope Oakland does something soon. The city is in a phenomenal location and has too much potential.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Green: I completely agree with your post, but how would the OPD be able to identify the gang members?

I sure hope Oakland does something soon. The city is in a phenomenal location and has too much potential.
There are ways to identify gang members, by certain bandannas, certain signs, there are things to look for.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Wile stop and frisk increased exponentially. If S&F was actually working, the rate of increase of weapons found and arrests would be congruent with the rise in number of stops. There is zero relationship.
You're under the illogical assumption that criminals would continue to keep carrying weapons under a stop-and-frisk environment. You FAIL to realize that stop-and-frisk is a deterrent, and may cause criminals to think TWICE about carrying a weapon at all.

The only fact we really know is that since stop-and-frisk was implemented, violent crime has been drastically down in NYC.

It would have exponential effect in Oakland since the crime rate per capita is much higher in Oakland than NYC.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is another question. What constitutes suspicious activity? Anything can be thought of as suspicious activity. I know a colleague who is Black. From what he tells me, if he drives around certain parts of suburban Atlanta, the police might pull him over and ask "what are you doing here, where are you coming from, where are you going,etc", those kinds of questions, even though he hasn't committed any suspicious activity.
Were you in the car with your friend? How do you know "he wasn't doing anything suspicious"? Just based on his recollection of that particular day?

Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are ways to identify gang members, by certain bandannas, certain signs, there are things to look for.
Those same cues could be used as stop-and-frisk identifiers.

Last edited by DocGoldstein; 01-06-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Were you in the car with your friend? How do you know "he wasn't doing anything suspicious"? Just based on his recollection of that particular day?
I saw this happen to him. And nothing out of the ordinary. Just driving. Believe me, it happens. You might not want to believe it, but it does have. I've been in cars with other people when it has happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland