Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,456,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
a lot of people seem to move here specially to have kids.
My favorite Alameda bumper sticker reads:

"Alameda: where hipsters go to breed."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:49 AM

10,520 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmith825 View Post
Ah and I forgot about grocery stores. I love our Whole Foods and Lunardis in Belmont. Is there anything besides a Safeway and Trader Joe's nearby?
Alameda is a great place for families. Alameda was definitely on our list of choices at the time we moved but the commute was just too long, but now they have a ferry service to South San Francisco where my husband works. Still I go to Alamada all the time - my son plays soccer there and we often visit the beach on warm days. It has some nice parks too. The schools are supposed to be good from what I've heard from other people. The Safeway is really lovely - my local safeway is in Rockridge but the Alameda one is much nicer. There are also some nice shopping streets which have a smattering of local shops. I've heard there is an amazing German restaurant which I haven't visited yet but I have a friend who raves about it.

My one and only hesitation with recommending Alamada is getting onto the island. Ferry - no problem, but the road tunnel entrance and exit on the North side (Chinatown side) is really grotty and quite depressing everytime I drive through there. There is a ton of graffiti and some buildings that are in dire need of tearing down which is a bit miserable to have to look at. This is a minor point but just worth mentioning. Other than that I'd say go for it.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,785,818 times
Quote:
My one and only hesitation with recommending Alamada is getting onto the island. Ferry - no problem, but the road tunnel entrance and exit on the North side (Chinatown side) is really grotty and quite depressing everytime I drive through there. There is a ton of graffiti and some buildings that are in dire need of tearing down which is a bit miserable to have to look at. This is a minor point but just worth mentioning. Other than that I'd say go for it.
No offense,
That's sort of silly. The tunnel itself is clean and lined with ceramic tile. Chinatown isn't that bad as far a the graffiti. But even if it was, that's not in Alameda itself and you can always very easily take the park street or the high street bridges.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
No offense,
That's sort of silly. The tunnel itself is clean and lined with ceramic tile. Chinatown isn't that bad as far a the graffiti. But even if it was, that's not in Alameda itself and you can always very easily take the park street or the high street bridges.
I'm being honest and just providing the facts. I said it was a minor point. If you are travelling from the Naval base to say San Francisco it makes no sense to go any other way than through the Webster street tube otherwise you add at least 5 miles to the journey. Yes the tunnel is clean, I specifically mentioned near the exit. It is bad just there - I know, I go through there all the time. There are some buildings permanently covered in graffiti, -one is derelict with signs all over it that state that. I'm a lover of good architecture so maybe I'm saddened by it and notice it more than most. I feel sorry as well for the guys than keep painting over the graffiti on one building only for it to reappear again shortly after.
All I'm saying is it wouldn't put me off living in Alameda at all but the family may be sensitive to this stuff like me, maybe not. There's graffiti in lots of places in the Bay area. I notice that too. Just pointing it out that's all. Alameda on the other hand seems to be pretty graffiti free. Always a good indication in my book.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,785,818 times
Graffiti is basically something you'll see everywhere. But even if you do see it past the tube, you're on the freeway literally in 30 seconds. This is hardly even worth mentioning in regards to living in Alameda.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Graffiti is basically something you'll see everywhere. But even if you do see it past the tube, you're on the freeway literally in 30 seconds. This is hardly even worth mentioning in regards to living in Alameda.
Only if you are going on the freeway, not if you are driving through Chinatown as I do.
Maybe you don't think its worth mentioning. I do. Maybe the OP does, maybe he doesn't, just offering information. It's always good to be in possession of all the facts, warts and all in order to make an informed choice and so you find nothing disappointing later on. If you bought a house you'd want to know everything including if you've got a barking dog next door. It might be a minor issue but if everything was painted rosy and nobody told you, you might be disappointed. If the worst thing about Alameda is a bit of graffiti on the way in and out then its probably got a lot going for it. For me it would be something I'd just like to be aware of as I'd probably be going in and out twice a day. I wasn't making a big issue of it in my post.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 PM

202 posts, read 531,883 times
I've never even noticed anything like that near the tunnel.. I guess I'm just not offended enough by graffiti under a freeway to have it stand out.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
I think I'd be more shocked to see a graffiti free on-ramp in the US.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 699 times
Default I am thankful of her observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Only if you are going on the freeway, not if you are driving through Chinatown as I do.
Maybe you don't think its worth mentioning. I do. Maybe the OP does, maybe he doesn't, just offering information. It's always good to be in possession of all the facts, warts and all in order to make an informed choice and so you find nothing disappointing later on. If you bought a house you'd want to know everything including if you've got a barking dog next door. It might be a minor issue but if everything was painted rosy and nobody told you, you might be disappointed. If the worst thing about Alameda is a bit of graffiti on the way in and out then its probably got a lot going for it. For me it would be something I'd just like to be aware of as I'd probably be going in and out twice a day. I wasn't making a big issue of it in my post.
I am new to CD.. and I must say that Cruithne's point of view.. It does help people to see different perspectives - all may not agree with it but still it is a perspective.. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland