Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:29 PM

197 posts, read 668,024 times

Advertisements

Depends where you work in Hayward as it may take you more than 10-15 minutes to get from one part to another. Other cities could be a better option.

And no, it's not that bad. It's not all that great either. It's pretty diverse with a large and growing Latino population. Mostly blue collar working class people live in the flatlands. The hills are nicer but more expensive and for most things you need to go down to the flatlands.

Both Fremont & Union City are generally considered nicer than Hayward but it depends on the neighborhood. There are plenty of places in Hayward a lot nicer than the Decoto area of Union City for example. Castro Valley is nice but its main attraction is the schools so you may pay extra for schools you may not use. Hayward is fairly spreadout so quality of areas vary so it more comes down to the specific area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOnAgain View Post
@ the interview, people warned me that if it was their choice, they would not live in Hayward. Anyways, when I was there for a few days, it really was not that bad from what I saw. It was ethnically diverse and I want to live close to work. I want to keep my commute around 10-12 minutes. I am looking at Castro Valley, or around the mission boulevard area. For fun, I can always drive to other cities but I want to be close to work because it will help me save gas money, cut commute time which will give me tons of time to rest after work etc.

Also give me some info on fremont, union city and the likes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 PM

36,667 posts, read 67,617,460 times
mod cut since you are so adamant about Hayward being less than a middle class suburb, here's a question: What large CA city with 100,000+ persons and a median income in the $50,000s has great schools and is totally safe, has zero crime and has no poor people? Exactly. NONE.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-10-2013 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM

26 posts, read 39,300 times
mod cut

Hmm i dunno Vista?, San Mateo? Good Day!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-10-2013 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Elephants View Post
Hmm i dunno Vista?, San Mateo? Good Day!
Wrong on both counts.

The point is folks, we suffer from unrealistic expectations in California when it comes to what the 'ideal' middle class town is supposed to look like. Concord is middle class, Walnut Creek is not. Hayward is middle class, Pleasanton is not.

Hayward largely sucks if you are looking to move to an upscale suburb but it does have what one would expect to find in a truly diverse, middle class suburb.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Wrong? Based on what? Vista has a lower median income and is safer than Hayward. West Covina same income as Hayward. Safer. Shall I continue?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Wrong? Based on what? Vista has a lower median income and is safer than Hayward.
Vista has 50,000 less people than Hayward and West Covina has 40,000 less people than Hayward.

Oh, and Hayward a far greater proportion of its population living in poverty than West Covina(12% vs 8%).

So are you saying that Hayward should expel poor people?

Quote:
Shall I continue?
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM

337 posts, read 734,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
My advice: Stay away from Longwood, Cherryland and anything around Tennyson. The rest of Hayward is fine for the most part.
This is actually pretty spot on. Though Cherryland is technically unincorporated Alameda County. They have fixed up Mission Blvd. quite a bit. The power lines are now buried, the streetlights have been replaced, and the medians have been replaced (and there are now trees and bushes for most of the stretch.) I drove from Union City to San Leandro just the other day - major improvement.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Furthermore,
West Covina and Vista both have plenty of detractors. LOL

Urban Dictionary: west covina

Like I was saying, just because it doesnt have Crate + Barrel, doesnt make a city bad.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Population size doesn't matter. Nice strawman

Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Population size doesn't matter.
And this doesnt really answer my question. Should Hayward kick out its poor people?

So part of Hayward is unsavory to your apparently refined sensibilities(LOL). That doesnt really change the fact that Hayward is generally a normal, middle class suburb.

Quote:
Nice strawman
You need a straw to drink your irony punch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland