Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The others should be in prison or shipped to Alcatraz.
I'm sure one of the appeals of Alcatraz to tourists is its lack of homeless people. This idea would ruin that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
Hi Jade,

The same thing happened to me a while back! I was leaving the Rockit Room with some friends and we were walking a couple of blocks down the street to have dinner at a Chinese restaurant when a crazy homeless black guy singled me out and asked me for some change. When I politely refused to give it to him, he began yelling the same types of venomous obscenties at me, stating that I was a bi$ch, a traitor to my race and accused me of sleeping with the white guys that I was with (the were five of us: 2 white guys, 1 hispanic guy, myself and another black woman). He even followed me inside the restaurant yelling and screaming obscenities at me! I was terrified, but kept my cool and remained quiet. One of the gentlemen in the group that I was with stood in between me and the crazy guy and acted as a shield to keep him from hitting me.
You know what?!

And this is no disrespect to you or Jade, but I swear on all that is holy that these bastards know exactly who to pull that crap with.

It's one thing to be yelling crap in the street, but FOLLOWING ME INTO THE RESTAURANT TOO??!!

Hell no!! I would have stopped, turned around with my iphone (or whatever sharp edged object I had in my hand), cussed that fool out something fierce and waited for any act of what could be termed as potential violent aggression and I would have went to town on his ass. I would just pray and hope he didn't have AIDS or anything cause of the blood that will be on my clothes.

You were walking with some punk ass dudes and he KNEW that. Trust me, men KNOW when they're going to be dealing with REAL MEN, especially lifelong street dudes and convicts. This would have made it worse for me, because after that day, I would have looked at all three of those fools as p___sies and would have treated them as such.

Quote:
It wasn't until I yelled for help that the waiter came over and ran the guy out.
San Francisco might as well change its name to "San Fran-sissyco", because that's what it seems to be full of - sissies.

Just some straight *******. No wonder the dating scene is horrible for women. All the REAL MEN are outside the city in Oakland. LOL!

Old 01-12-2013, 12:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
^I have this horrible habit of smiling at people when I walk by. Some people mistake this for openness. I don't respond to provocation unless I am in physical danger. It isn't worth my energy to respond to someone who is attempting to curse me out. I'd rather remove myself from the vicinity.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
^I have this horrible habit of smiling at people when I walk by. Some people mistake this for openness. I don't respond to provocation unless I am in physical danger. It isn't worth my energy to respond to someone who is attempting to curse me out. I'd rather remove myself from the vicinity.
Gurl, I completely understand, but I have witnessed bums in the subway acting the fool, but as soon as a group of teenagers or an officer walks on ALL OF THAT NOISE CEASE!! Like I said, they KNOW who to do that crazy mess too.

I'm gonna assume you and the previous poster are pretty and the smiling thing doesn't help. I know Cali folks like to do this for some reason and I learned to get with the program living in LA, but we usually don't smile at people we don't know in NYC. We just don't.

I also read a crazy story like the above in the NYC forum too. Some homeless dude followed some people in a deli/restaurant screaming his freaking head off. When they went to go sit down, homeless dude supposedly started BANGING ON THE WALL screaming at the same time.

I just KNEW this happened in MANHATTAN. No freaking way could this bullcrap go down in the outerboroughs are above 116th street (where black and hispanics still live). No freaking way!

Again, I would have taken this as an act of major aggression and let him have it! But to be honest, the black and hispanic homeless don't pull that mess on other minorities here, because they know we don't play that no matter how "well dressed" we are. They know the transplants in Manhattan are scared to death of everything, so they try it with them and know there's a 99% chance that nothing will happen.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:58 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I would have stopped, turned around with my iphone (or whatever sharp edged object I had in my hand), cussed that fool out something fierce and waited for any act of what could be termed as potential violent aggression and I would have went to town on his ass. I would just pray and hope he didn't have AIDS or anything cause of the blood that will be on my clothes.
That's why you don't give in to hand-to-hand violence with the crazy homeless: You have to assume they DO carry a nasty virus or disease. You can beat them up all you want, but is it really worth it after you contract HIV?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A lot of people smile and say hi when you're walking on the sidewalk in an Oakland neighborhood. In SF it will just get you in trouble tbqh. Honestly you never know who is crazy in SF, I've seen so many people who looked totally normal start spazzing out on Muni, talking to themselves or yelling at other people.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times
I've found that it depends. In S.F, you get more druggies. So you will get more crazies overall. In Oakland, you really have the down-and-out desperate types who will resort to theft, or outright violence to survive. I've been physically attacked in Oakland during a volunteer activity. In S.F, I've dealt with weird smells.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
"Sorry, I don't carry cash. It's too dangerous these days".

Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 AM

622 posts, read 1,146,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
"Sorry, I don't carry cash. It's too dangerous these days".
Yeah, that's my usual reply. I leave out the dangerous part, but I really don't carry cash around a lot anymore.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Another good one is "I was going to ask you if you had any extra change"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland