Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:30 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times

Advertisements

Really depends on what you do, whether you get a job in the first place, how much you make, etc. LA in general is cheaper but the economy is not that great there and wages aren't really in line with real estate prices. Plus you HAVE to have a car unless you want to be really limited, and that adds a big expense especially if you have to drive a lot for work and put a lot of $$$ into gas and maintenance. The Bay Area is easier to live in without a car but most of it is suburban enough so you need one there too. Wages are higher but mainly only for tech workers. If you don't work in tech then you'll be in the same rental market as all the techies but probably making quite a bit less than them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
I love San Francisco but as noted the people appear less friendly and for some that may be a deciding factor. Otherwise SF has the scenery, food, and weather (yes it's cold but put it in perspective while most of the country bakes or steams in the summer SF is cool and while its cold in the winter its not extreme as in many parts of the country that are in a deep freeze or exhausted from all the rain.

I'd suggest LA (and by that I mean along the coast) or even coastal Orange County ...you have great weather, an abundance of food choices and fine dining as well as good weather. San Diego is a great vacation location but it may prove boring in the long run for people who are looking for more than a laid back lifestyle.

Whenever I think of what some peoples idealized version is of life in California I wonder if it's similar to the impression one experiences from the views in places like Las Brisas Restaurant in Laguna Beach or the views from Point Lobos Park in Monterey County or the views from the now defunct Alta Mira Hotel Restaurant in Sausalito.
Great review. I love the Bay Area and even have started to warm up to SF (even though I still like Oakland better b/c of the people and the whole "hidden treasures" element). But, LA/OC people I've met tend to be a tad cooler/friendlier than the tad more uptight Bay crowd.

I could live in either area of the state, or neither and choose to opt for Sac, SLO, Monterey, Chico, etc. instead. I am in an area of the Southeast right now that has a fairly high quality of life and miss the Bay Area, however, so that says something about the quality of life and all the cultural tenets and idiosyncrasies that make the Bay such a great place to live.

I gotta say, though: San Diegans never seemed like a particularly warm or friendly bunch to me. I don't know why, or maybe I just haven't met the right people. Too bad, because it is easily the loveliest major city in all of California.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 AM

172 posts, read 394,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
Hi All,

I am a educated professional on the East Coast sick of the cold weather and people and am looking to move out to Cali. I have spent a lot of time all over California for work and am simply smitten with it: amazing weather, spectacular scenery, amazing food and wanted to relocate out there. I am looking at SF, SD and LA. I am now hesitant about SF because of the insane housing costs, which seem even worse than NYC. Which city would be ideal for me in terms of long term living, affordability, job prospects, people in comparison to the East Coast cities of NYC, DC and Boston? I really like SF but seems like SD is now far more affordable and people seem a bit nicer and less snooty. LA is a lot of sprawl and would be my third pick. I am guessing that SF Bay Area has a far better economy than SD, is that correct? Which city would you pick? LA seems to have a better economy and jobs than SD, is that right?
I was born and raised in L.A., and have only visited San Diego. I have been living in the bay area for the past three years. I fell in love with S.F. when I first visited back in the 80s, and have absolutely no desire to move back to L.A. Depending upon where and how you are willing to live will determine how far your money goes in each city (i.e., living with roommates, renting a room in someone's house, renting an apartment, or living farther away from the city and commuting). Likewise, if you have job skills that are in demand, you have the option of working in the city of your choice. Spend some time in each each city and see which one 'speaks' to you. Some people say that people in S.F. are snooty. However, the overwhelming majority of the people that I have met here have been friendly and wonderful as compared to my hometown of L.A. with its Hollywood mentality....but that's just my experience. When you come back to Cali to visit, sign up for meetup.com as there are lots of clubs and activities in which you can meet like minded people and get a better idea of what the locals are like. Whatever you decide, California is a beautiful state and I hope that you are able to find the city that works best for you :-)

Last edited by Nicegurl; 01-19-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 AM

858 posts, read 1,145,749 times
As some have alluded, and is the case with all cities/regions there are pros and cons, but all three are desirable places to live. It comes down to personal taste and preference. Personally I would apply for jobs at all three areas, and just go with the one with the best offer and/or potential for future income growth. Your job and income will go a long way in being the major factor in the quality of your life and your happiness here. I get the impression from alot of these threads, that people who are overly negative about california are struggling financially or dont have a great job.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:57 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,699 times
Where are you from, OP? My wife and I are from Philadelphia and we find that COL is simply not worth it as SF is a warmer and much more expensive Philadelphia to us. Without Septa. San Diego wasn't "city" enough for us but the weather was amazing and we didn't get a chance to hit LA.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
Whats wrong with LA? The economy is no good or the people?
There is nothing "wrong" per se with L.A. I don't like the car-dependent lifestyle.

People are friendlier, but I grew up there and know that friendly doesn't mean sincere.

I just like cities that have a more urban vibe and reliable mass transit. L.A. is finally building its train system back, but I'm heading home in a few weeks for a weekend trip. I HAVE to rent a car because that's just how the city is. I don't have to do that almost anywhere else I travel including cities like New Orleans and that's rather sad.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 PM

140 posts, read 436,523 times
I agree with another post that it depends on where you can get a job in your field. I've had tenants move to Newport Beach from SF area where they rented from me and later told me could not believe how much more home they could get for their money in the LA / San Diego area.

SF is expensive, and in long run if do have kids & family, the city of SF is a big problem as the schools majorly stink.

Plan to be where there are good schools. Wish I had done this in the first place as I did end up with a few kids. If had to do it again, would pick one of towns just north of San Diego but not San Diego proper.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 AM

203 posts, read 428,319 times
I moved from NY to SF. It costs way too much here and you don't get the conveniences of NY for what you pay for. Looking to leave soon.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:07 PM

202 posts, read 532,323 times
If I were moving here I'd live in the East Bay and work in Oakland or San Francisco, it all depends on what field you work in and what jobs are available. Professional doesn't say much.

There are some nice older houses in Castro Valley, Hayward, San Leandro and SF by way of BART is pretty painless. I don't think I could live in the city. High prices and fog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland