Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 AM

172 posts, read 392,984 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

For those of you who are familiar with each of these areas, which ones are the most dangerous? I am originally from L.A. and have seen areas down there that have been considered dangerous cleaned up and regentrified due to being in good locations (i.e. nice views, shorter commutes, close proximity to the city and it's attractions, cheaper real estate, etc.). For example, I have heard that West Oakland is the place to buy a home right now because the prices will go up significantly in the next few years as a result of regentrification. Do you think that the same can be said of the other areas that I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM

14,636 posts, read 14,507,796 times
Probably Hunters Point, but Vallejo and especially Oakland should be broken down further as there are many areas of each city which are perfectly fine.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM

6,400 posts, read 8,229,157 times
I like how the first two on this are very specific neighborhoods, then the next two are entire cities

Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 AM

14,636 posts, read 14,507,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I like how the first two on this are very specific neighborhoods, then the next two are entire cities
Yeah well, she probably reads SFGate; can't blame her really...

Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,996,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
Hi all,

For those of you who are familiar with each of these areas, which ones are the most dangerous? I am originally from L.A. and have seen areas down there that have been considered dangerous cleaned up and regentrified due to being in good locations (i.e. nice views, shorter commutes, close proximity to the city and it's attractions, cheaper real estate, etc.). For example, I have heard that West Oakland is the place to buy a home right now because the prices will go up significantly in the next few years as a result of regentrification. Do you think that the same can be said of the other areas that I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
1) East/West Oakland
2) Iron Triangle
3) Bayview/HP
4) Vallejo

If you're expecting a place to get better as time goes on, I'd say Vallejo has the best chance. I own a few rentals in Vallejo, and Mayor Davis (whom is a personal friend) is doing a great job with the city. He declared bankruptcy to dislodge all the bad debt crippling the city, and started building the city back up.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-02-2013 at 06:05 AM..

Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 PM

116 posts, read 189,756 times
Oakland is a city larger than all those neighborhoods. Vallejo is a city about the size of a tiny area of east oakland. All these listed areas combined don't hold a candle to Oakland. Oakland is the most violent crime ridden city in California. I agree Vallejo does have the best chance for turn around. Marine world is there.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:37 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,678,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
Oakland is a city larger than all those neighborhoods. Vallejo is a city about the size of a tiny area of east oakland. All these listed areas combined don't hold a candle to Oakland. Oakland is the most violent crime ridden city in California. I agree Vallejo does have the best chance for turn around. Marine world is there.

Funny, I could have sworn that Vallejo was 3/5 the land area of Oakland. What do I know though, it's not like I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life life or something. You're clearly the expert.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,703,964 times
Wow, I had no idea the entire city of Oakland was in the middle of a gang war. I guess I missed it the last time I went to Art Murmur. Or Uptown for the nightlife. I guess you should really tell those 10 restauranteurs that plan to open up in the next 8 weeks too. Or maybe the 10 that opened up in November/December with huge crowds.

The Rose Garden is about to explode into color turfs too. The pink section, the orange section and the red section.

OP: Oakland is a big place, and just like most cities there are nice areas and dangerous areas. Where I live in Oakland is safer than most of the urban Bay Area. Crime isn't a big concern and people are out walking their dogs at midnight. There are other areas of Oakland where people wouldn't be comfortable doing that, it really depends on which area you live in. Some areas are gentrifying, some areas have been nice since Oakland incorporated. Ans some areas are probably on the 50 year path to gentrification.

If you are actually interested in learning about different types of Oakland neighborhoods, feel free to send me a PM and I'll happily answer based on my experiences.

But it really doesn't matter which neighborhood is safer if it is inconvenient to your job or commute or doesn't fit your lifestyle wants and needs.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,996,311 times
Here's an article to read about the gang war currently engulfing Oakland:
Latest Gang War in Oakland Tied to August Murder of Teenage Girl: SFist

The politicians are currently mulling on whether to declare a state of emergency that may force the Governor to send in the national guard, with armed troops, and support.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 PM

622 posts, read 1,142,484 times
You're asking us to compare two cities to two distinct San Francisco districts. When it comes to Hunter's Point, why?

I'd probably go no lower than Dogpatch which is gentrifying too. I drove through there last week on the way to an event in SoMa near the stadium. It was dark but businesses were going. It was very well lit and it seemed safe enough. I've been there during the evening for dinner once before too.

The Tenderloin? Overall, no. But San Francisco is one of those cities where you go two blocks and the bad area you were in is okay. San Francisco is definitely a city where you need to check out specific spots and see them both during the day and at night.

As for Oakland, avoid the bad areas and stay near Rockridge and Piedmont.

Vallejo? I've got no clue. I've been there all of one time and I'm in no rush to go back. However, there are people here who've said there are both good and bad areas just like Oakland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It's simply not a well-formed question. Unfortunately, it drags out the usual cast of characters in a debate about how bad Oakland is and those who push back. Then, as always, we get page after page after page of the same debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland