Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

Considered one of the nation's top prep schools, I had no idea the school had such an impressive history as well. Congrats.

Oakland's Head-Royce celebrates 125 years of excellence - San Jose Mercury News

Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
That's cool. I actually did read the linky.

To tell the truth I just read "Oakland" and "excellence" and skimmed the rest.

I was all ready to go with a raiders commitment to excellence joke.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:22 PM

116 posts, read 190,466 times
It's too bad 99% of Oakland children can't go to schools like this.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
It's too bad 99% of Oakland children can't go to schools like this.
Maybe you should sponsor some poor youths so they can attend Doctor Fitsburgh. Be part of the solution

Old 01-31-2013, 03:29 PM

I will be up there permanently in March. I might do that. I have volunteered in poor area's of Oakland previously during Medical Internship.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM

295 posts, read 461,593 times
That's really good its hard to get an internship at Highland and even harder to BE at Highland for rotations during your internship there. I don't know how old you are but i know that only a small number of Highland interns and residents actually do rotations on the Highland campus. Most are sent over to Kaiser or Children now days.

I hope you do sponsor some kids to Head Royce though I have friends who went there and almost went there myself but they didn't have a hurdle coach and track is what paid for my high school and college education. Its a great school just not very diverse and maybe a little overly stress inducing for kids.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
That's really good its hard to get an internship at Highland and even harder to BE at Highland for rotations during your internship there. I don't know how old you are but i know that only a small number of Highland interns and residents actually do rotations on the Highland campus. Most are sent over to Kaiser or Children now days.

I hope you do sponsor some kids to Head Royce though I have friends who went there and almost went there myself but they didn't have a hurdle coach and track is what paid for my high school and college education. Its a great school just not very diverse and maybe a little overly stress inducing for kids.
Highland is a teaching hospital so I was lucky enough to get in there and see battlefield type wound care. I was planning on a general surgery residency but opted out. I did match with Highland also UCSF however I chose to get out of Clinical Medicine and go more into a teaching/director role. I have been invited to teach the Medical students at Stanford.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 PM

When you were at Highland it wasn't part of the general rotation for UCSF students? Now days its UCSF who runs the educational programs at Highland for most fields except I think oral surgery which i think is run through University of the Pacific. I have a friend who is now doing her residency at USC but she tried hard to get into the UCSF program so she could be back home. Unfortunately she did med school in North Carolina so she was lucky to get a residency in California at all.

Anyway Highland has come a long why as a teaching school, one of the best in the state as far as I know.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
When you were at Highland it wasn't part of the general rotation for UCSF students? Now days its UCSF who runs the educational programs at Highland for most fields except I think oral surgery which i think is run through University of the Pacific. I have a friend who is now doing her residency at USC but she tried hard to get into the UCSF program so she could be back home. Unfortunately she did med school in North Carolina so she was lucky to get a residency in California at all.

Anyway Highland has come a long why as a teaching school, one of the best in the state as far as I know.
Most UCSF Students at the time were sent to Children's Oakland I believe they still are. I know when I was there I was with other New York Interns, one from NYU and another from Columbia. I went to Albert Einstein.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM

Ahhh i see. Yes they still send a huge portion to children's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland