U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,633,325 times

Advertisements

it's a major city, nothing else like it in northern Ca
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,992,453 times
I'd say it's a medium sized city. A small city would be Oakland. But Oakland is more spread out.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM

10,926 posts, read 5,758,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
47 square miles isn't very big for a city. When people say it's small, they mean that the city limits don't stretch very far. Compare them with a city like LA or Houston, etc and SF is downright tiny.
Agreed, it is small geographically, but so are a lot of older cities. But, I also think sometimes people mean it's small, as in it "feels small" at times (I've personally heard this a few times in person). Fact is, ~800,000 people in 49 square miles = a pretty dense and big city. Boston, another city most would agree is a big, has 625,000 people in 48 square miles.

I think the people that argue this are strictly looking at population and using city limits as the cutoff. It's the same argument people have when they act confused when they discover SJ has more people than SF (SJ's city limits are enormous). This is generally not a very good method as what makes a city feel big/small is really more of a regional thing. I wouldn't necessarily say that 7 million people live in the SF area (this does start to include some exurban regions that are on the fringes), and the Bay Area is an oddity with 3 major cities in the region, but SF definitely represents a big region, and is definitely in the top 5/10 cities in terns of size/importance the country.

If your point of comparison is NYC...then, basically every city in the country (and almost all of the world) is a "small" city. But, in reality, anyone arguing that SF is a "small" city really hasn't traveled much. Toledo, OH (where I grew up) is a small city; Rochester, NY (where I used to live) is a small city. SF is not.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM

484 posts, read 734,956 times
Compared to the sprawl of other major U.S. cities, SF is small. And, no, SF does not equal the Bay Area. SF is unto itself.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM

34,141 posts, read 58,675,293 times
SF is part of the urban hub of the much larger and definitely connected Bay Area, which is why I laugh when some say that SF 'feels small' because the only places that have a larger and more widespread area of high population density than the Bay Area are Chicago, Los Angeles and New York.

Drive outside of any other city besides the ones mentioned and possibly Miami and the place gets really suburban to exurban to rural really quick, but the drive btwn Richmond and Hayward is extremely dense by US standards, so is the drive between SF and San Jose.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 PM

289 posts, read 551,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
No...San Francisco IS a small city.
Agree. . .

Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 PM

622 posts, read 1,021,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
No...San Francisco IS a small city.
I agree.

San Francisco IS a small city and that's part of its appeal. I lived in NYC. It's different and it's LARGER. I've also lived in L.A. proper (not some outlying area) and the same with Seoul (and that city is HUGE).

The city of San Francisco, NOT the San Francisco region, is small in size and population compared to other major cities.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 PM

16,569 posts, read 27,323,679 times
I wouldn't say the people have a small city mentality though. Yes it's physically small but very urban, worldly and cosmopolitan despite it's small size.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 8,168,088 times
Once I walked from North Beach to my house in the Inner Richmond/Laurel Heights one night after the bars closed (I can't seem to recall why though ...made it home in just over an hour. Land-wise, it is small.

Population isn't really that big from my experience either (and yes, I've been to London, Paris, and NYC). Very bustling and full of humans! Quite overwhelming from my perspective as a native San Franciscan! I actually used to run into people that I knew just about every time I stepped out the door no matter what neighborhood or time of day...so to me, it's still fairly small. I guess I see the City as a separate entity--not inclusive of all the other smaller cities on the Peninsula or East Bay.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM

940 posts, read 1,167,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
When will people get it through their head that SF is a huge metropolis of 7,000,0000 in the greater area? Our city limits are tiny, yes, 7 x 7 square miles, but other cities have giant boundaries making them appear more populated. SF is like a NY part 2. Kind of annoying, anyone else feel the same way? The Bay Area = SF.
It depends what one is comparing it with. 7 million is a lot of people compared with most places in the US, but in the world it's only medium sized. New York, which you tried to compare it to, actually has around 17 million people in its metro area, so it's more than double the size.

Here's an idea of what some really big cities are like. These are all approximations of the metro area population, but are the best I could find quickly.

Jakarta -- 14 million
Osaka -- 16 million
Mexico City -- 17 million
Sao Paulo -- 17 million
Tokyo -- 33 million
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland