Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
LoL. Just explain in plain english. Shouldn't be that hard for one so versed.
Wikipedia is is about as laymen as it gets. If you can't absorb that, then I'm not sure I could help you. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Wikipedia is is about as laymen as it gets. If you can't absorb that, then I'm not sure I could help you. Sorry.
LoL. Use your words.

Argument refuted.

Supply and demand.

I don't know any real estate investor that would willingly invest or stay invested in a market he felt would go bust.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Oakland has over 1,700 homes in foreclosure, but only 272 listed for sale on the MLS. I'm not very bullish on Oakland RE because of that.
Sounds like a wonderful time to be a real estate buyer.

Every failure is someone's opportunity or something like that.

Glad you went from end of the world in the RE market in Oakland to "not very bullish" though.

Why on earth would speculators be rushing into Oakland though? That was your last theory.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-20-2013 at 05:39 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
there are some people who will not live in a suburb. they find suburbs soulless life sucking hells and desire urban diverse WALKABLE areas.
there are only two cities in the bay area with hip urban walkable neighborhoos sf and oakland
in sf a 3 bed 2 bath home in this type of area is around $1.35 million.throw in public schools and thats a lot of bank most people don't have.

Walkable Rockridge and Crocker Highland in Demand - The Numbers - Curbed SF

The Oakland/Berkeley Journal notes "The biggest equity gains in Oakland have happened in walkable areas such as Rockridge and Crocker Highlands" and offers these graphs charting the value of two and three bedroom homes from 2010 through the current quarter of 2013. Some of the desire to walk is attributed to San Francisco transplants, used to close-in city living. "As more buyers migrate to the sunny side of the Bay from San Francisco, a higher demand is placed on a home with an easy walk to coffee, restaurants and public transportation."

Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hmm.... well DTO is one of the few areas in Oakland that had a population growth with the last census. And the downtown condos on the resale market also seem to be selling as well......not much inventory...so I don't see your speculation angle.

For example, all of the places on my watch list have gone pending within 30 days of listing...
Do you know who is buying these units? You probably don't, but I thought I'd ask.

Because I have MLS access and know many brokers in the East Bay on a personal basis, I know an extraordinary percentage of them are going all cash (over 30%). Sure that could be "owner occupiers", but chances are they are speculators/investors buying units to rent out as investments.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a wonderful time to be a real estate buyer.

Every failure is someone's opportunity or something like that.

Glad you went from end of the world in the RE market in Oakland to "not very bullish" though.

Why on earth would speculators be rushing into Oakland though? That was your last theory.
I'm personally not bullish (especially about Oakland), but I feel there is an investor bull run trying to find safe havens for their fiat currency. Additionally, we have the large hedge funds and institutional investors to contend with. I haven't been to the court house steps since March/April of 2012, so that shows how bullish I personally am in regards to RE.

But if you think "it's a wonderful time" to be a RE buyer, and you can capitalize on some opportunity that I don't personally see, you should go ahead and test that theory. Money is cheap right now.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i honestly dont think that oakland's negative image is a KKK media conspiracy.
not as long as crowds of people cheer in the streets of oakland when police are gunned down.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i honestly dont think that oakland's negative image is a KKK media conspiracy.
not as long as crowds of people cheer in the streets of oakland when police are gunned down.
Well, apparently SFGate is a neo-con rag that wants to see Oakland burn.

Personally, I find it a very good website with well written content.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
I don't know any real estate investor that would willingly invest or stay invested in a market he felt would go bust.
Yeah, smart investors usually wait for the market to tank and then buy when prices are low.

Buy Low, Sell High--I thought everyone knew that.

But who are we to judge right?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I'm personally not bullish (especially about Oakland), but I feel there is an investor bull run trying to find safe havens for their fiat currency. Additionally, we have the large hedge funds and institutional investors to contend with. I haven't been to the court house steps since March/April of 2012, so that shows how bullish I personally am in regards to RE.

But if you think "it's a wonderful time" to be a RE buyer, and you can capitalize on some opportunity that I don't personally see, you should go ahead and test that theory. Money is cheap right now.
We do seem to be the safest country to invest in. Some of those people find investing in Oakland to be a safe bet, I suppose. Demand for properties in Oakland. Desire to invest in Oakland. Whether they live there or rent the house out, right?

Will you make up your mind if you are "not very bullish" or "not bullish" about Oakland please?

Why would a RE investor not sell off his properties in an area that he allegedly sees a bust coming towards? It seems to be the height of the market again if I use your logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland