Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 04:00 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Also as far as the deciannual decline in population-we saw lots of growth in all racial groups except Blacks and the reason is because Blacks are leaving Oakland at an accelerated rate, most moving to less expensive suburban areas our outlying central valley exurban areas. This is exactly what Whites did 50 years ago when they fled urban areas for suburbia.
Yea, I dont understand why when it comes to Oakland city, people tend to use superficial analyses and doubled standards.

Black exodus was a national trend, affecting cities with rich African American histories, like San Francisco-Oakland, Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, Washington, Atlanta, Cleveland, St. Louis, etc.

People relocating from Socal to Berkeley to teach a decal really should consider the rise in crime a national trend. Other cities where crime rates increased include Seattle, Minneapolis, Houston, San Jose, San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, San Diego, Long Beach, Philadelphia, Portland, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 02:56 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
As an aside... I have always found it interesting that the city of Piedmont is contained 100% inside the borders of Oakland... makes me wonder how the very desirable city Piedmont does it... they don't have fortified walls, moats or check points and yet they are 100% surrounded by the third rank nationally highest crime city in America.

Just goes to show in a city as large as Oakland... no one descriptive applies to the entire city.

I hear often how bad the schools are in Oakland... yet, seldom to people give credit to Oakland's top schools... both public and private.

Many of the Physicians where I work do not live in Oakland... yet, they send their children from Piedmont, Orinda, Lafayette, Castro Valley, Moraga, etc to High Schools in Oakland.

Kind of ironic one of the Docs moved his family to Orinda because she was wary of Skyline High School and now both of her kids attend Head-Royce on Lincoln. The children of 6 co-workers attend Head-Royce and tow others send their children to Bishop O'Dowd on 98th and Stearns...

Why would these well to do families "Risk" sending their children to Oakland schools where they could be gunned down waiting for the bus?
Many cities have some quite nice affluent neighborhoods. And yeah, Oakland does have some great private schools for those with the means to cover the $30,000+ yearly tuition. Was she wary of sending her kids to Skyline because of the peer group and educational quality, or was it because she was afraid of her kids being gunned down as they walked from their class room to the car? Given that Skyline High is quite a bit below average for California, I suspect the former and not the latter.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Many cities have some quite nice affluent neighborhoods. And yeah, Oakland does have some great private schools for those with the means to cover the $30,000+ yearly tuition. Was she wary of sending her kids to Skyline because of the peer group and educational quality, or was it because she was afraid of her kids being gunned down as they walked from their class room to the car? Given that Skyline High is quite a bit below average for California, I suspect the former and not the latter.
Bingo.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Oakland, the 3rd most highly educated major city in this state(behind SF and SD) should definitely do what cities like LA and SF do and have 1-2 schools that essentially serve as AP high school where students apply and are granted entrance via academic merit.

It would undoudtedly be one of the top 5 publics in the entire state. In fact I dont think 1 school would be enough, 2 maybe.

We have too many stellar high school students leave the district in favor of one our elite privates or to one of the surrounding towns.

Definitely food for thought.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareaadvisor View Post
It's been proven that in Oakland, crime is random and violent. There was a gang who randomly shot into a crowd at an Uptown event a few nights ago. That area is not the ghetto, it is a well patronized decent neighborhood.

And do you remember about the shooting at the decent movie theatre in the decent area called Jack London Square? The cops are spat on and demoralized while the criminals are empowered and growing bolder every day. They just don't care who and where they shoot.
by that logic one could say crime in san francisco is random and violent
soma is a well patronized area and not a ghetto

San Francisco: One killed in early-morning shooting in SOMA | abc7news.com

2 Men Shot In San Francisco

2 Arrested In San Francisco SoMa Shooting, Standoff « CBS San Francisco

Man Stabbed in SoMa Ten Days Ago Dies: SFist

Suspect Sought After San Francisco SoMa Face Stabbing « CBS San Francisco

Woman Stabbed In Neck In SOMA: News: SFAppeal

Man stabbed to death in SoMa Tuesday evening | Mike Aldax | Crime | San Francisco Examiner

Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Academics...

Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Not a single post has denied the stats...

Most have said we live here and find the positives outweigh the negatives.
And that's basically what the OP is asking....despite media reports on crime and the crime rate, is it really that bad?

The answer to many of us is that its not bad at all...

Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
For like the 5th time, NOBODY GOT SHOT AT ART MURMUR. It happened 2 hours after the event was over. It's unfortunate and sad, but nobody is making a huge deal out of it except for you.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 PM

295 posts, read 461,243 times
That's the first time anything like that has happened at first Friday in its history. First Friday is a quite safe event to attend. This shooting event is unfortunate but could easily have happened anywhere else, not just Oakland. Several examples have been given to similar events happening in other places in this very thread. Oakland by and large is not as dangerous as it is perceived. Oakland is dangerous for a certain core group of individuals who engage in high risk activities and in the areas in witch they live, mainly sections of the flats in east Oakland and increasingly smaller sections of west Oakland.

As far as random acts of violence go, by nature they can happen anywhere and your risk is no more higher in this city than another. Example, there have been bar brawls in Walnut Creek that look very similar to the same types in San Francisco and San Jose. Does it make those cities dangerous? I witnessed a homicide outside a club on the very busy Hollywood blvd a few years back? I don't believe that area is known for being dangerous, yet I witnessed a dangerous crime. I have lived in Oakland basically my whole life and never once even knew someone wounded by gun violence. Based on that experience alone LA seems more dangerous than Oakland. Its all perspective.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Actually, that's a 100% correct. If the shooting took place INSIDE the stadium and DURING the game, I can guarantee people would freak out and it would be all over the news. People get shot outside of concerts, stadiums, and all sorts of other venues all the time. If you can't understand the difference, I don't know what to tell ya...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland