Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Just do some research on the property values in the East Bay. Compare Albany, Alameda, Berkeley, and Oakland. Compare similar properties, in general you will find that Oakland will always clearly be the cheapest option. Think about that for a second, it's not your imagination, you get what you pay for.
Depends on neighborhood in Oakland. On average, certainly, because most of Oakland is... uhh yah, not that parts of Berkeley aren't pretty bad as well.

It's the third most violent city in the country. That said, the media tends to sensationalize things. So it's kind of an unanswerable question whether it's as bad as the media says it is. The media is pretty universally reactionary and sensationalist, so I'd just look at facts and statistics in making that decision any not headlines. I grew up in Stockton, so high crime isn't anything I'm not used to. Oakland has a lot going for it that counteracts the bad at least to some degree, although that's always going to be a case by case situation. Plus it's not like the good and bad are evenly spread throughout anywhere, especially not somewhere with as much income stratification as Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 PM

622 posts, read 1,145,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have gone a few times since the beginning when it was Art Murmur and all about the galleries, to now when it was first Fridays. The last time was in January.

It is definitely way too crowded for me these days. I don't even go North of Grand or west of Broadway most of the time.

The city does need an action plan to handle the huge crowds First Fridays bring to downtown, it is extremely popular and packed with people attending from all over the region. Hopefully this incident encourages more formal organization and oversight.
Yeah, I agree about crowd control. When my guy and I went last month it wasn't bad at all. The colder weather cleared it out a bit. It was easy to walk around. We started at the intersection where Luka's Taproom is located, stopped at the art wall for a bit, walked over to Telegraph and up to 25th, then we cut down 25th stopping at those galleries (and I bought something), then walked back down Broadway to BART, and headed back to Berkeley.

Doing that same loop over the summer was a nightmare because there were just too many people, and I won't go again during the summer until they change something up.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Depends on neighborhood in Oakland. On average, certainly, because most of Oakland is... uhh yah, not that parts of Berkeley aren't pretty bad as well.

It's the third most violent city in the country. That said, the media tends to sensationalize things. So it's kind of an unanswerable question whether it's as bad as the media says it is. The media is pretty universally reactionary and sensationalist, so I'd just look at facts and statistics in making that decision any not headlines. I grew up in Stockton, so high crime isn't anything I'm not used to. Oakland has a lot going for it that counteracts the bad at least to some degree, although that's always going to be a case by case situation. Plus it's not like the good and bad are evenly spread throughout anywhere, especially not somewhere with as much income stratification as Oakland.
I'm not saying all of Oakland is Rwanda, but the First Friday Festival was a public event in Uptown, supposedly an up-and-up area of Oakland, and someone was gunned down after attending the event. That doesn't just happen in places where crime isn't a problem.

Oakland's homicide count climbed, and so did it's violent crime rate, and the city has less and less resources to deal with it every year (down 200+ officers since 2010). It's gotten bad enough that the CHP, and Federal Marshalls are helping to staff Oakland as fill-in cops until they can hire some back. One council member has even commented that the National Guard should be brought in.

I think it would be blind to say "this is media sensationalizing", because Oakland has some big problems right now.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

It is definitely way too crowded for me these days. I don't even go North of Grand or west of Broadway most of the time.
Yeah it was super crowded. I parked by the Lake.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
I'm not saying all of Oakland is Rwanda, but the First Friday Festival was a public event in Uptown, supposedly an up-and-up area of Oakland, and someone was gunned down after attending the event. That doesn't just happen in places where crime isn't a problem.
Hmmm, so how do you explain similar incidents in SOMA, Fishermans's Wharf and Union Square?

Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 PM

Isolated incidents. Per capita, S.F's violent crime rate is half of Oakland's.

Just answer this. Did S.F's violent crime rate surge 23% year over year? Has the S.F.P.D lost over 200 officers since 2010 due to budget cuts?

No... no, I don't think that happened in S.F.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 PM

Exactly. If S.F had a surging crime rate, then I think a S.F comparison might have some weight, but violent crime actually dropped in S.F year-over-year. It did so in L.A as well.

In Oakland, it was up 23%. That's in stark contrast to the other two cities.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
It's really simple...

Anyone that is all consumed by it should not come here...

Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 PM

So basically, they're turning things into a school yard fight, instead of actually addressing the facts or argument itself. That's par for the course.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
If Oakland is such a great city to live, that should be self-evident, one would think.
Many posters have laid out much evidence of the town's positive aspects, otherwise known as evidence, which is altogether ignored by those squarely intent on promoting a weird, undying smear campaign that does nothing to inform those who would consider relocating to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland