Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 28,250 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -

My company has a location in the Financial District (a few blocks from the Powell station) and I am thinking about relocating my family from Chicago. I've been looking around at places to live and anywhere in SF is completely out of the question due to housing/rental costs but I was wondering if an area like Albany or Berkeley might be a fit for us.

We have 3 kids, so schools are important and we are used to suburbia so I am okay with a suburban type of area. I really would want to be near the BART line and it looks like there are stops in Berkeley if I'm not mistaken. Does anyone know how long that ride would be? From my research it looks like about 20-25 minutes but I'd rather know from people that have actually taken the ride.

We would want a 3-4 bedroom home around the 400k range. Am I delusional to think that is possible?

I am not familiar with SF or the Bay Area at all so I definitely would welcome any insight on if I am looking completely in the wrong direction, if I am on the right track, or if we simply just can't afford to relocate.

Any help from the locals would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac7983 View Post
We would want a 3-4 bedroom home around the 400k range. Am I delusional to think that is possible?
In Berkeley yes. In any suburb with good schools also a yes.

Pleasant Hill and Castro Valley would be two suburbs I'd recommend. Both have BART stations and decent schools. Just don't expect a new, updated, or large home for $400K. That's on the low end honestly for cities with decent/good schools.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 28,250 times
What about Albany?

Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM

9 posts, read 23,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac7983 View Post
What about Albany?

You are delusional for $400K. Try about at least $700K in Berkeley or Albany

Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
600k or so is the entry-level price for a basic home in an "affordable" East Bay suburb with good schools like Walnut Creek or Pleasanton. Maybe 5 or 6 years ago you could get places for like 450k but not anymore. Berkeley or Albany are going to be even more expensive. Also Albany and Berkeley aren't suburban, they're more like dense streetcar suburbs. Walnut Creek and Pleasanton are more typical suburban areas.

See if you can find house rentals that you can afford, since in the Bay Area buying a house tends to result in a higher monthly mortgage payment than if you rented that same house.

I think Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Dublin and Pleasanton are the places to look if you want good schools and BART access and houses that aren't as expensive as somewhere like Berkeley or Orinda.

There are towns like Concord or Hercules that are cheaper, but it's because they have poor schools. And other towns like Danville might be cheaper but it's because it doesn't have good transit or highway access to get to SF.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
you can't afford berkeley or albany.
$600,000 is more realistic.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 PM

15 posts, read 33,389 times
Your best would be pleasanton, dublin area. very decent neighborhoods with good schools. Especially pleasanton. But I am sure it it going to be a shocker real estate wise.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 AM

202 posts, read 532,323 times
Move quick. We don't get negative temps here :P

Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 AM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Stay where you are. If you want to pay 400k for a home, you'll have to move much further out than the cities you mentioned. The further you get, the more you commute. The more you commute, the more expensive it gets. The more expensive it gets, the less your options become.

Forget about the quality of the schools, what about the quality of the life you'll be giving your kids? What about having their parents around instead of being stuck in traffic for hours? You stand the very good chance that your kids will spend far more time with their teachers and adults other than you. Are schools suppose to become public baby sitting venues? The rush to the coast has created some nightmare infrastructure problems in CA, and people still insist on having kids when they have less time and resources to give them, making it the public's problem to watch over and parent them. Sorry, there are too many people who are stuck thinking in a way that is obsolete and unsustainable. I have to presume that you have some sustainable life in IL. If you do, then it makes no sense to relocate to one that isn't. If your life isn't sustainable in IL, then why trade it for one that is probably even less so?

Last edited by loloroj; 02-07-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Pleasant Hill and nicer parts of Concord (off of Treat Blvd) might also be an option. Most of the Pleasant Hill schools are very good and there's a BART station in both. Prices are going up but I believe you could find something in the 400-500k range (or you could find a very nice 3 bd 2 bath to rent for around 2k-2500).

Walnut Creek as mentioned is also a great choice...a bit more expensive than the former but really well regarded schools. I wouldn't suggest buying a house in the Bay Area until you are well settled and plan to stay here for a long time. Prices are so high in these parts that it doesn't make sense to dole out so much unless you're absolutely sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland