Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM

25 posts, read 71,107 times

Advertisements

Hello

Could anybody tell me please approximate average price for good private school in East Bay area behind tunnel like Walnut Creek, Concord, Pleasant Hill? I tried to google it but found huge difference in amounts from $7K to $50K. How come? Can I compare private school rating with public school rating like from here California School Ratings, rankings, test scores Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 PM

10,284 posts, read 8,443,687 times
Well a lot would have to do with their reputation and what they offer. I think it depends what grade you are looking at too.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well a lot would have to do with their reputation and what they offer. I think it depends what grade you are looking at too.
My kid is 3 years old, I am looking at all grades from Elementary to High

Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
It would make a huge difference if a school is Catholic, vs. non-denominational, for example.

Are you sure you want to limit yourself to the "other" side of the Berkeley hills? Take a look at Bentley School, in Hiller Highlands, not too far from the tunnel. It's a great school.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It would make a huge difference if a school is Catholic, vs. non-denominational, for example.

Are you sure you want to limit yourself to the "other" side of the Berkeley hills? Take a look at Bentley School, in Hiller Highlands, not too far from the tunnel. It's a great school.
I live on the "other" side of the Berkeley hills. Do you think it is worth to bring kids so far? Well, my question is rather about a price, I just need to be aware of possible costs, how much per month for this Bentley School for instance? Thanks

Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM

197 posts, read 665,277 times
There really isn't an average price for private schools. There is such a wide range average price wouldn't matter much.

My experience is with Catholic schools so I will give you my input on those. Catholic schools are usually cheaper than other private schools and a significant portion of the students are not Catholic. In my experience, Catholic schools aren't overbearing on promoting their religion since so many who attend are not Catholic. However, your child would be exposed to religion as religion is part of the curriculum from K-12. In highscool, religion classes are transferrable courses (for example, World Religions is a course the student might take).

Prices - For Catholic schools, I would guess 10-$15k a year now for highschool. Maybe half that for K-8? For other private schools, you will likely pay even more. It also depends on expenses, location and amenities.

Test Scores - I've never seen average test scores for a Catholic or other private school released. Maybe some schools publish it? Since they are private schools, they can keep this information to themselves. Highschools do often list or make information available regarding graduation rates and where their graduates went to college. Your main source of whether a school is good or not would be word of mouth.

Besides word of mouth, you just need to visit the schools (and their websites) and see for yourself. Tuition info should be on there as well. If you are shelling out that kind of money, you want to make sure you choose the right school.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 AM

386 posts, read 794,661 times
Call. I'm sure the schools would love to talk to you.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 AM

10,284 posts, read 8,443,687 times
You say you live on the east side of the tunnel. Aren't most if not all of the schools in Lamorinda pretty highly rated? Why would you spend more $ on a private school?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 AM

202 posts, read 528,518 times
Average for k-12 is probably around 25k a year.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM

28 posts, read 41,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuryM View Post
Hello

Could anybody tell me please approximate average price for good private school in East Bay area behind tunnel like Walnut Creek, Concord, Pleasant Hill? I tried to google it but found huge difference in amounts from $7K to $50K. How come? Can I compare private school rating with public school rating like from here California School Ratings, rankings, test scores Thanks
Greatschools.org has a compare feature for schools. I'm researching private schools in the East Bay as well depending on where we find a house. Religious schools are generally cheaper. Some of the Catholic/Christian schools I've looked into are closer to 10k whereas the non-religious are in the 20k range and increase in middle/high school. I think most of the open houses take place in the fall but all schools I have looked at have their tuition info. on their site and welcome tours. Are you also a member of the Berkeley Parents Network? I've found that website helpful to get a feel for parent feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland