Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 AM

409 posts, read 956,950 times

Advertisements

Well it is after all the land of Harvey Milk and honey....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 AM

147 posts, read 284,810 times
Happiest city maybe... but also 'the No. 1 city on the globe most waiting on tender-hooks to be pummeled by an 'off-the charts-earthquake' sooner or later...

Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliesyd View Post
Happiest city maybe... but also 'the No. 1 city on the globe most waiting on tender-hooks to be pummeled by an 'off-the charts-earthquake' sooner or later...
Yawns.

Tokyo, LA, Mexico City et al...all waiting to get pummeled. SF is not special in this regard.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns.

Tokyo, LA, Mexico City et al...all waiting to get pummeled. SF is not special in this regard.
Who was talking about Tokyo, LA, Mexico City? Wasn't this thread about SF?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Here is a much better explanation of the actual survey. It's the 2009 survey but by the same group GFK. You be the judge.

The World's Happiest Cities - Forbes.com

Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Here is a much better explanation of the actual survey. It's the 2009 survey but by the same group GFK. You be the judge.

The World's Happiest Cities - Forbes.com
As you say ~ it is a 2009 survey and a lot changes in 3-4 years. (On a side note I have to vouch for Sydney which is No. 2 on that list. It's now a damn expensive city, but an incredibly great place to live, I doubt it would still be no. 2 in 2013 due to the cost of living).

San Fran, as much as I wanted to love it, when I visited 5 years ago, sadly did nothing for me. I found myself feeling the most unsafe out of any major city I'd been to in the US before - and by this I mean I have lived in Chicago and NYC and felt totally safe 99% of the time, but 15 mins in San Fran and I felt feel at ill-ease as a tourist. I also found it very boring. I think it's a city where you need to know a local to show you the proper sense of the city. I'd like to go back and be proven wrong as so many people wax lyrical about San Fran and how cool it is.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Who was talking about Tokyo, LA, Mexico City? Wasn't this thread about SF?
yes, but you said SF is the number 1 city on the globe waiting for an earthquake and I dont know what gives you the authority to make such a proclamation? Or am I addressing God?

LMAO

Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
yes, but you said SF is the number 1 city on the globe waiting for an earthquake and I dont know what gives you the authority to make such a proclamation? Or am I addressing God?

LMAO
I was saying it in jest/generalising. Everyone knows San Fran and/or the west coast of the US is due a big earthquake of serious/decent magnitude in years to come, due to the San Andreas and inland Hayward-Rodgers fault. You can try and fob it off onto places like Japan etc (which BTW is 1000's of miles away from CA ?!?).. and where yes, they get earthquakes often (including the horrific Sendai one in 2011), but you talking about Japan doesn't take away from the fact that the western seaboard of the US, in particular northern CA and San Fran, is looking at a big earthquake in the coming years.

I remember finding it incredibly disconcerting driving into San Fran 5 years ago on a double decker concrete highway ~ in an earthquake zone city ?!?!?! Nuts...

Good luck 'Laughing your ass off' when the big one hits in your area. I was of the impression natural disasters like that aren't generally things one 'take the pis* out of.. ?! But whatever floats your boat...

Last edited by Olliesyd; 02-14-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
As you say ~ it is a 2009 survey and a lot changes in 3-4 years. (On a side note I have to vouch for Sydney which is No. 2 on that list. It's now a damn expensive city, but an incredibly great place to live, I doubt it would still be no. 2 in 2013 due to the cost of living).

San Fran, as much as I wanted to love it, when I visited 5 years ago, sadly did nothing for me. I found myself feeling the most unsafe out of any major city I'd been to in the US before - and by this I mean I have lived in Chicago and NYC and felt totally safe 99% of the time, but 15 mins in San Fran and I felt feel at ill-ease as a tourist. I also found it very boring. I think it's a city where you need to know a local to show you the proper sense of the city. I'd like to go back and be proven wrong as so many people wax lyrical about San Fran and how cool it is.
Scroll down. There is an explanation of the data that this survey collects and really what it means from a person who ran the survey.

I wasn't posting to get involved in comparing cities. I was providing context to the original post.

BTW with all the resources on the internet about every big city on earth the fact that you had a boring time says more about you than the City.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Such desperation to be current. LOL

#fyi
Funny ~ as mentioned I am am Irish, and always held a strong/huge love for Americans in my 37 years on this planet. Your attitude 18Montclair makes me start to understand /respect why a lot of other countries are not quite so 'enamoured' with Americans as the Irish are...

I have spent years listening to yanks explaining to me in provincial mid-western sports bars why their 'wannabe Oirish' granny convinced them to send money 'back home' to the IRA...
mod cut
Interesting to experience it from another nationalities standpoint... A lot of right wing Americans, like you seem to hate Aussie on City-Data... I've only been on CD.com 2 months and posted initially as I was planning to move Stateside to NYC, the things I've read on CD has done all but convince me to stay away from the US.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-14-2013 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: personal attack/off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland