Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:49 AM

170 posts, read 399,289 times

Advertisements

So I frequent reddit a lot and before I saw this I've always thought that Oakland was a place that if you just stayed away from trouble, trouble will not come knocking on your doorstep but after reading this testimonial I'm not only appalled but just wondering what the heck is wrong with Oakland?

To the Redditor-hero who saved a girl from a group of thugs in Oakland, CA today - THANK YOU! I want to buy you a beer. : reddit.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 01:01 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times

Old 08-20-2011, 01:17 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
So I frequent reddit a lot and before I saw this I've always thought that Oakland was a place that if you just stayed away from trouble, trouble will not come knocking on your doorstep but after reading this testimonial I'm not only appalled but just wondering what the heck is wrong with Oakland?

To the Redditor-hero who saved a girl from a group of thugs in Oakland, CA today - THANK YOU! I want to buy you a beer. : reddit.com

Really? You're going to base your opinion of a city on a single incident? I guarantee you I can pull horrific random incidents for any city.

Let's start...

Butcher of Brooklyn Levi Aron admits how he killed 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky in chilling confession - New York Daily News

Quote:
Hardware store clerk Levi Aron, who was charged Wednesday night with brutally murdering 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky, gave cops a chilling confession, describing in graphic detail how he suffocated the child with a bath towel and carved up the body in a "panic."

I frequent random websites a lot and before I saw this I always thought that New York was a place where everyone was indifferent and no one would mess with you unless you're dumb enough to make eye contact with them. After reading this incident though I'm not only appalled but wondering what is wrong with New York City?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:44 AM

170 posts, read 399,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Really? You're going to base your opinion of a city on a single incident? I guarantee you I can pull horrific random incidents for any city.

Let's start...

Butcher of Brooklyn Levi Aron admits how he killed 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky in chilling confession - New York Daily News

I frequent random websites a lot and before I saw this I always thought that New York was a place where everyone was indifferent and no one would mess with you unless you're dumb enough to make eye contact with them. After reading this incident though I'm not only appalled but wondering what is wrong with New York City?
First off it's not just ONE incident.

Just got mugged in broad daylight. Stay safe Oakland. : oakland

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18694348
Video: R.I.P Lil Carlos: 3-Year-Old Baby Loses His Life To Gun Violence In Oakland CA! (Hella Sad Footage Taken Right After The Shots)

Oakland is also ranked #6 in the top 10 most dangerous cities The 10 Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St. - National - The Atlantic
Oakland’s violent crime dropped about 5.5% between 2009 and 2010, from about 6,800 to 6,260. Nevertheless, the city has the 10th-highest rate of rape, the ninth-highest murder rate, and the second-highest robbery rate in the country. In 2010, there were 7.12 robberies for every 1,000 Oakland residents.

Honestly, I've tried my best not to let any of these incidents change my opinion on the city of Oakland but I'm beginning to believe that Oakland is the armpit of the Bay area and is living up to its reputation as a hell hole. It really is a shame too because despite all this, I know Oakland is one of the most diverse cities in the country and the world for that matter but it definitely has a lot of cleaning up to do.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:48 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times
FlipMC you are staring to become very predictable and very close to earning a spot on the "Users known for their unreasonable enmity with Oakland" list.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:50 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
It is horrible. The worst place in America. There are zero safe areas in the entire 60 square mile city. The entire city is a cesspool. </sarcasm>

Old 08-20-2011, 08:44 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
First off it's not just ONE incident.

Just got mugged in broad daylight. Stay safe Oakland. : oakland

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18694348
Video: R.I.P Lil Carlos: 3-Year-Old Baby Loses His Life To Gun Violence In Oakland CA! (Hella Sad Footage Taken Right After The Shots)

Oakland is also ranked #6 in the top 10 most dangerous cities The 10 Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St. - National - The Atlantic
Oakland’s violent crime dropped about 5.5% between 2009 and 2010, from about 6,800 to 6,260. Nevertheless, the city has the 10th-highest rate of rape, the ninth-highest murder rate, and the second-highest robbery rate in the country. In 2010, there were 7.12 robberies for every 1,000 Oakland residents.

Honestly, I've tried my best not to let any of these incidents change my opinion on the city of Oakland but I'm beginning to believe that Oakland is the armpit of the Bay area and is living up to its reputation as a hell hole. It really is a shame too because despite all this, I know Oakland is one of the most diverse cities in the country and the world for that matter but it definitely has a lot of cleaning up to do.
Do you want me to compile a long list of scary crime incidents in San Francisco or some other city? I can easily do that for you...Oakland is not the only place where these things happen, so whats with the irrational fear towards that city?

edit: examples from SF, all off the top of of my head, just for the record/to make a point:

3 boys were shot and wounded in SF yesterday, and a man was shot to death in a separate shooting. An 11 year-old girl was shot in SF several days ago. A 5 year-old-girl was shot in SF several months ago, hit by a stray bullet while playing on her project building's play-structure. A couple months back a bystander was hit in he head by a stray bullet in a downtown shooting. Several years ago an entire family was gunned down in broad daylight in the Excelsior district when they were mistaken for rival gang members. A year or two before that, a 5 year-old boy was hit with a stray bullet in McLaren Park, a 17 year-old girl was killed by a stray bullet in Hunters Point, and a 15-year-old boy was gunned down in the mission after being mistaken for a gangbanger. And a year or two before that a 2 year-old baby was killed by stray bullets in Hunters Point (the same year that a lost tourist couple had their car sprayed with bullets in HP, killing the wife, in a case of mistaken identity), as was a father standing in his front door. What about the German tourist and the Louisiana tourist, both shot and killed last year? Or the german tourist killed by a drunk driver? What about the two shop owners gunned down in touristy Fisherman's wharf earlier this year? The 5 people wounded in a broad daylight shooting in downtown, during gay pride (3 of them tourists)? Or the shooting at gay pride the previous year that left one dead and two injured...or the Halloween shooting a few years before that, that injured 9? What about the scores of murders, and many thousands of robberies and shootings that happen each year in SF (an average of 80-90 murders a year since 1985)? Are you scared of SF too? Or does that stuff only need to be mentioned/worried about when it happens in Oakland?

Last edited by rah; 08-20-2011 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC
Honestly, I've tried my best not to let any of these incidents change my opinion on the city of Oakland but I'm beginning to believe that Oakland is the armpit of the Bay area and is living up to its reputation as a hell hole.
Who cares?

I think by now, most Oaklanders have learned that we don't need to waste our time convincing people of anything.

There are plenty of folks, many of substantial means, who are moving to Oakland every day because they have fallen in love with Oakland's neighborhoods, Oakland's vibe, Oakland's amenities and so forth.

Others move here because Oakland provides them a place they can afford. Others move here because they want to be amongst their own community and so forth.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
FlipMC you are staring to become very predictable and very close to earning a spot on the "Users known for their unreasonable enmity with Oakland" list.
Its hilarious.

I know of no other city on C-D that attracts so many haters who have no personal reason to be so vehement.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:57 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its hilarious.

I know of no other city on C-D that attracts so many haters who have no personal reason to be so vehement.
That is kind of strange. Could you imagine going into the Tulsa, Oklahoma forum, posting a random article and stating how that city sucks?

It seems like some people's whole shtick it latching onto one city or state and creating negative posts about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland