Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM

75 posts, read 198,740 times

Advertisements

Hello again, everyone! It's been 4 years and city-forum have been a big help to me when we moved to Albuquerque (Kirtland Air Force Base). Now it's time to move again and I just need some input on where's a decent place to rent a house near TAFB.

I've asked my friends living in the SF, Pinole, Hercules area what they think of the cities around TAFB.

Most people recommended:

Vacaville
Vallejo
Fairfield
American Canyon

Anyways, having small kids we would want an area with decent schools and of course somewhere relatively safe. I understand crimes happen anywhere and everywhere, but I don't want to live in a crime-ridden area.

I also don't want to be away from everything else...I don't want to commute 30 minutes just to go to a quick trip to the mall. We don't want to live INSIDE the base but would prefer to stay close if we can. Our allowance is about $1800/month for renting.

Any input and suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
My vote would be for Vacaville, decent area with a lot of conveniences and OK schools.

After that I'd look at Fairfield. American Canyon is pretty small, and Vallejo just has too many problems for me to recommend it.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM

2,518 posts, read 3,995,098 times
If you're going to the base (or your husband) stick with Fairfield. Best commute down Air Base Pkwy. If you do pick Fairfield, stay in the communities East of Dover Ave. There is a lot of new homes. Less crime, but it is more "rural" which some people like.

Vacaville is a close second since you can still get to base by driving down Peabody into Fairfield.

American Canyon, no. Your husband will hate the commute down 80.

Vallejo? No way. Even longer commute with crappier schools, and more crime than any of the above 3.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 PM

28 posts, read 41,024 times
Also check out Benicia. Right past Vallejo, it is a small water town. The town itself is small, but very kid friendly and is a straight shot to Fairfield.It is also centrally located to go pretty much anywhere in the Bay Area.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 PM

What about West Sac? I'm thinking a 40-minute drive would not kill my husband lol. Plus, there seems to be more jobs for me in Sacramento than in Fairfield/ Vacaville area.

It also looks like the houses (to rent!) is much bigger and newer. For about $1500-1600, I see a lot of really nice houses in West Sac, whereas in Vacaville and Fairfield, that price range seems to be in the smaller and older houses. Am I missing something here? Is West Sac like Vallejo where no one wants to live that's why houses are cheaper? LOL

I just don't want to think that I'm getting a great deal and up getting a big "sucker!!!" stuck on my forehead.

Advice plsssss! Thanks!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,252,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINAYPIE View Post
What about West Sac? I'm thinking a 40-minute drive would not kill my husband lol. Plus, there seems to be more jobs for me in Sacramento than in Fairfield/ Vacaville area.
"West Sacramento is vulnerable to substantial loss of life and property in the event of a major urban flood. Levee improvements and repairs are needed to meet new federal criteria and guard West Sacramento against catastrophic flooding."

http://www.cityofwestsacramento.org/...sp?BlobID=4635

"West Sacramento will be inundated" in a 200 year flood event"

Flood risk high for West Sacramento | Natomas News

Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 AM

Geesh! Well, that's why!!! In hindsight I knew there is something big going on for nice houses to be renting and selling so cheap thanks for letting me know.

So if we live in Vacaville and I end up working somewhere in Sacramento-- is there a public transportation I can use? Train, bus? I'm embarassed to admit I have never used the public transportation before because we always move to bases where you can drive to work in about 15 mins or so (or sometimes when I'm really lucky, it's less!).

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
West Sac isn't that nice overall but there are some nice newer developments. My brother and sister-in-law live in a big home in a new development, it's a pretty nice neighborhood. They like the location because it's really close to Downtown/Mid-town.

If you live in Vacaville you can take FAST (Fairfield and Suisun Transit) Route 30 to Downtown Sacramento from the Vacaville Transportation Center.

http://www.fasttransit.org/

Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Follow up question is-- would it be relatively safe for me to take a public transporation in that area? Vacaville to Sacramento or Fairfield to Sacramento?

I feel stupid for asking this question, but I really want the "inside scoop" if you guys think it's safe for a woman alone to ride the bus there LOL

Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
It's plenty safe to take the bus from either Vacaville or Fairfield. These are nicer, commuter express buses too and not your typical city bus. The Fairfield Transportation Center is fairly busy, well lit, and a has 24-hr security guard. Vacaville also has a pretty nice transportation center too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland