Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 12:02 PM

36 posts, read 120,395 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to Safeway in Pleasanton, CA. What suburbs, or specific subdivisions should we consider so that commute isn't too far? We have elementary and middle school aged children so schools are VERY important. Also, any information on private Christian schools in this area would be helpful. Where will housing costs START in and around the areas you mention? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 12:23 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Anything west of 680 should work in that case. You don't want to go through the 680-580 interchange, as it will add a lot of time to your commute even if it looks short. The area just south of the Stoneridge Mall (which is where Safeway corporate is) should be a nice fit.

All of the Pleasanton public schools are very good, so no worries there. But if you're going to go private anyway, then you might also consider going just north of 580 into the west side of Dublin. It's less expensive because the schools are a little less stellar than Pleasanton's, but still perfectly nice.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 10,321 times
Hey Song
I moved to Pleasanton 11 years ago. I have a 6 and 14 year old. We love it here. As far as christian schools, the choices are far less than most other places. Valley Christian in Dublin(just north of Pleasanton) seems to be the most popular. I think its an Omni-christian school. If your kids are going to christian schools, you dont have to live in Pleasanton. Dublin,San Ramon and Livermore are great cities, but offer less than Pleasanton in their public schools. You will get more bang for your buck in the afore mentioned cities. Be prepared to buck up if your coming from a less affluent area. We move here with 40k in proceeds from our sale in the midwest. We did ride an incredible R/E ride and have since parlayed our min. investment to a 1.4, now 1.3, wait 1.2 house. I jest, but CA has been good to us. I found both houses by hanging out at parks with my kids. I would talk to folks in the area, and found our house without the need of a realtor. Saved a ton of bucks that way. Good luck, Safeway seems like a great Co. and they seem to take great care of the people.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,321 times
After rereading your post, i realized that I didnt answer your ?. Housing on the low side will be 500k ish. Thats in a neighborhood that MOST people keep up the maintaanance and no camper/junked cars out front. While 500k may sound high to live on the low side...just remember this. I paid 275k for my first house, sold it 6 yrs later for 630K. Bought 2nd house for 935k and it soared to 1.4M. Now its backto about 1.1/2, but we are not going anywhere for a while so its still a great investment. ALSO, watch out for newer neighborhoods with homeowners fees. They will erode your long term investment big time.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:38 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Safeway HQ is located at the south end of the Walnut Creek-Dublin-San Ramon-Pleasanton corridor. Best thing to do is drive around and look at the different sections.

This is a nice suburban area but not part of SF proper. It is the East Bay just inland from Oakland and Berkeley. Scenic hills studded with California Oaks and there is also Mount Diablo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland