Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:46 AM

864 posts, read 799,688 times

Advertisements

DT Oakland isn't as dangerous as people make it out to be, but lol at people trying to call Oakland a Top 10 tourist destination. Any magazine who will claim that is straight up lying their ass off or got paid to print that, or they're combining Oakland and SF into one metro area.

DT Oakland is a great place for locals, like myself, to go and hang out with friends, get good food and alcohol, maybe catch some music, but you don't see people from overseas talking how they want to visit Oakland. They go for Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, or New York.

People in DT Oakland can be friendly when you need help though. My old 1999 Sentra had a bad battery and I got stuck in DT Oakland near 15th and Franklin last Summer. I couldn't start it up, lights wouldn't come on, nothing. Some old black guy who was a parking lot attendant saw me struggling and he said he could give me a jump with his truck. He removed some caps on my battery and said you need to change the water out once in a while, something I didn't know. So he got his bottled water and replace the water in the battery, and then he got his cables and jumped my car. It lasted all the way to the Richmond in SF, and I was able to get a new battery on Geary. Good guy, I hope he's doing alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
For a local Oaklander, you seem to be pretty hard on 1/5th of the city. Most Oaklanders have a lot more empathy/compassion and tend to have a more live and let live attitude. Your comments about West Oakland in the other thread deserving a tsunami were pretty disgusting.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/tr...0&pagewanted=2

Oakland made the New York Times list for places to go in 2012 between London and Tokyo. This was based on the incredible dining scene that has developed with the Michelin starred coi spin offs like haven and plum,the chez panisse alumni at camino piziallo and boot and shoe service ,the Michellen starred commis. There are many other superb places to dine in oakland

I don't enjoy going on vacations as much because usually the quality of food does not match oakland.last time I was in Maui I really noticed this
If you are not a foody this may not mean anything but if you are oakland is nationally known for its dining scene

Old 06-05-2014, 10:40 AM

Okay I see. That article is more about the author's opinion on where people should go, not actually where people go based on tourism numbers. Now it makes sense.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
For a local Oaklander, you seem to be pretty hard on 1/5th of the city. Most Oaklanders have a lot more empathy/compassion and tend to have a more live and let live attitude. Your comments about West Oakland in the other thread deserving a tsunami were pretty disgusting.
If you have so much compassion for West Oakland, why don't you move back there? Ditch JLS and move right into the Bottoms and share your love and care with the people there.

I love how people like this guy get so offended that some locals don't like West Oakland or its ghetto counterparts in East Oakland, but couldn't wait to move out the first chance they get to a nicer area. lol

Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 AM

As I said earlier, I moved out of West Oakland for numerous reasons, mostly because I was tired of roommates and I wanted to be somewhere more walkable, and I can afford to live somewhere nicer since I'm done with grad school. I still hang out in West Oakland all the time. If you haven't been to a West Oakland backyard BBQ or house party, you really don't know what you're missing. Unlike you, I don't look down on people who live in West Oakland. Why would I? I spent 5 years of my life there and it was my home. It still feels that way. Sad that you lack so much compassion for people who have less than you or choose to live in a place that's cheaper, but has a rich social community. Nope, you don't sound like a typical Oaklander at all. In fact, I doubt you even live here.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:55 AM

Thanks, I'll take your word about West Oakland house parties. I don't own a bullet proof vest, and I'm not an expert in small arms tactics, so I probably wouldn't feel safe.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM

343 posts, read 444,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
If you have so much compassion for West Oakland, why don't you move back there? Ditch JLS and move right into the Bottoms and share your love and care with the people there.

I love how people like this guy get so offended that some locals don't like West Oakland or its ghetto counterparts in East Oakland, but couldn't wait to move out the first chance they get to a nicer area. lol
You're being stupid. People move for lots of reasons and just because they move from one place to the other doesn't mean the place they're leaving is a hellhole.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Thanks, I'll take your word about West Oakland house parties. I don't own a bullet proof vest, and I'm not an expert in small arms tactics, so I probably wouldn't feel safe.
I doubt anyone in West Oakland would invite you to one anyway. You seem like a real drag. In fact, I'd encourage you to continue avoiding the area altogether. Your nasty attitude could lead to unfortunate consequences. But you don't live in Oakland anyway, so this is a moot point.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:01 AM

Yes I have no friends who live in West Oakland, thank goodness. It would be really awkward for me to continually reject invitations to go out there for a party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland